1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anybody running a snow plow?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Abomination
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody running a snow plow?

No, I'm actually serious!

I was looking at this today:
Snow Sport Snow Plow Features

It mounts via a front-mounted trailer hitch!

Anybody on here running ANY kind of snow plow? Anybody got any pics?

~Jason

Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Seen one locally. But ended up being the Ranger frame swap I've talked about before. Sorry, no pics. I'd be curious to see something like this. I'm looking to put one on my KB2.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:33 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
When I was a kid and my dad used my truck for his auto repair shop he rigged up a plow on the truck. I think it might have been something off of Model A vintage truck. My dad had a pipe bolted under the front bumper which was used as a pivot point for the plow. The plow's under carriage had two rings at the opposite end as the plow. You lined the rings up with the pipe, ran a smaller pipe through them and had retaining bolts on each end. Up by the plow blade there was a double piece of angle iron that went straight up about six feet. At the top of the angle iron there was a loop that you tied a rope through and the other end of the rope ran into the cab. You raised the plow by pulling on the rope and slamming the door on it to hold it into position. When you wanted to drop the plow you just opened the door, releasing the rope and dropping the plow. Very simple procedure but I remember it working pretty well. Better than shoveling the gas station parking lot by hand.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
mossyoak1992
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
When I was a kid and my dad used my truck for his auto repair shop he rigged up a plow on the truck. I think it might have been something off of Model A vintage truck. My dad had a pipe bolted under the front bumper which was used as a pivot point for the plow. The plow's under carriage had two rings at the opposite end as the plow. You lined the rings up with the pipe, ran a smaller pipe through them and had retaining bolts on each end. Up by the plow blade there was a double piece of angle iron that went straight up about six feet. At the top of the angle iron there was a loop that you tied a rope through and the other end of the rope ran into the cab. You raised the plow by pulling on the rope and slamming the door on it to hold it into position. When you wanted to drop the plow you just opened the door, releasing the rope and dropping the plow. Very simple procedure but I remember it working pretty well. Better than shoveling the gas station parking lot by hand.
thats amusing souns like something one of my distant uncles would have done when he was alive he rig up all kinds of neat amuzing all stuff nothing was pretty it was just funtional like a farmall with a 59ab flathead in it a 60 f250 4x4 that was totaled and he straightened the frame and rig it back together that was actually pretty nice the list goes on and on

Old 03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I just thought about some of our smarta** members in the southern parts of our fine country who are probably going to ask what a snow plow is used for. Please spare us.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Abomination
Senior User
I wonder why more folks with old trucks don't actually use 'em as such. They're trucks, you know? It's like keeping a set of Mechanix gloves immaculate and never using 'em...

~Jason

Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
my stepdad had one on his 56 ford in the blackhills SD. When I was a kid. He had to plow out in the morning and back at night. That was while we lived in a little cabin next to a snowmobile lodge about 10 miles farther than the nearest neighbor.

I think mtflat has one on a big rig?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 PM
elliot
Freshman User
my 51 f3 had one on it but the blade was missing when i bought it. i still have the pump and ram.i could email someone the pictures to post them elliot

Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 PM
f4fran
Senior User
I have an 8' plow on my F-4 (see gallery). One winter, I pushed the snow about 15 feet. It got stuck due to lack of traction. I couldn't move the truck in either direction. It sat in the driveway until Spring, when the snow melted. Unless you plow in an area that is perfectly flat, you need 4WD on your truck to plow. I now use my Jeep Cherokee to plow my driveway.

Fran

Old 03-28-2009, 09:23 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by f4fran
I have an 8' plow on my F-4 (see gallery). One winter, I pushed the snow about 15 feet. It got stuck due to lack of traction. I couldn't move the truck in either direction. It sat in the driveway until Spring, when the snow melted. Unless you plow in an area that is perfectly flat, you need 4WD on your truck to plow. I now use my Jeep Cherokee to plow my driveway.

Fran
Did you have chains on?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Oh-oh Havi, you introduced another item the southern guys don't know about. "Why would you put chains on a truck"

Old 03-28-2009, 09:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts

Fran
I think that's the reason ****** 4x4's were the preferred gas station plows back then. Even with chains I wouldn't think an F-1 could get traction to move much snow.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Abomination
Senior User
I'd love to see 'em!

I'm curious as hell how these were mounted back in the day. I mean, it's not like you could get a kit... could you?

~Jason

Originally Posted by elliot
my 51 f3 had one on it but the blade was missing when i bought it. i still have the pump and ram.i could email someone the pictures to post them elliot

Old 03-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Abomination
Senior User
I love it!

Do you think on a flat surface an F2 with chains stands a chance?

~Jason

Fran

Old 03-28-2009, 10:49 PM
f4fran
Senior User
Originally Posted by havi
Did you have chains on?
No, just snow tires on the dual rear wheels (18 inch widow makers).

Fran

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody running a snow plow?