1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Blown 5.4 at 131,000

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hes just a troll trying to start stuff up. Why else just post what he did with out more explanation. Hes mad because something happened and wants to get a reaction out of the ford guys.

What ever

Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
commandersander
Senior User
Call this guy started.....

Buy a NEW FORD with a warranty.....

If you want to have a vehicle for an extended amount of time......like beyond the warranty period....consider the cost(s) associated with extended maintenance....especially if you have to pay someone else to do it....then decide what your next in warranty turned out of warranty vehicle will be.

Henry Ford started this game.....and as Americans, we should shove that badge of honor up the japs azz just like the bomb.....

It pisses me off when simple minds look to the immediate advantage.....like in this situation....

"Ohhh....rub my crotch....I can get a low APR and they'll add 2k to my down pmt over there at Honda"...

"Ohhh....rub my crotch.....Hyundai will buy it back if I lose my job in a year"....

"Ohhhh.....rub my crotch....Kia Rio is 5k less than the CRV"....

"Ohhhh.....rub my crotch....my neighbor and co-workers all believe I am doing the responsible thing for the environment by buying something with better fuel efficiency"...

If you want to buy a Honda, go ahead.....but do us all a favor......put yourself in that box of a bucketochit called the Element and then post pics so we can all see what you'll look like in a coffin....

Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not according to JD Power, who makes their living studying these things "(statistically)".

Originally Posted by Mawk
Truthfully, they do have better reliability (statistically)
"Oddly enough JD Power ranks the Honda Pilot & Ford Expedition exactly the same (7) for Reliability."

Now I don't pretend JD Power is infallible, but their conclusions lead me to believe the reliability of these 2 vehicles are neck & neck "(statistically)".

Old 03-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Mawk
Senior User
Yes, I know JD rated them the same (I think someone stated that in this thread as well). But if you look at reviews from actual people who drive these cars day in and day out, you'll notice that the Pilot actually does have a slight lead (Pilot is prone to problems, I found that out while car shopping myself).

CR gives both the same rating (via the dot method they use) but in words describe that the pilot is predicted to be more reliable given its history. Now equate that to # of pilots on the road compared to expeditions, it could slightly be skewed, but no single test in 100 right on. Also given considering consumer ratings, the pilot does seem to attract higher marks than the expedition.

I'm not defending either of the two, really couldn't care less. But if he wants one, he should get one.

Also, if you guys think the Element is ugly, take a look at the Ford Flex, too.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Ford-Trucker84537
Senior User
go ahead, get rid of the big safe full frame expedition for a little element and when you end up like a june bug splattered on a Superdutys front bumper dont come crying back, anyway just on the safety prospect, your out of your mind, i wouldnt put my family in anything my superduty could run over and that includes anything honda builds!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
This is rather entertaining to read, do the hard working people of the american auto companies and buy from the big three.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I posted JD Power's conclusions. Its interesting that CR also "gives both the same rating" for reliability. My understanding is that JDP bases what they "predicted" on the "history".

Originally Posted by Mawk
Yes, I know JD rated them the same (I think someone stated that in this thread as well). But if you look at reviews from actual people who drive these cars day in and day out, you'll notice that the Pilot actually does have a slight lead (Pilot is prone to problems, I found that out while car shopping myself).

CR gives both the same rating (via the dot method they use) but in words describe that the pilot is predicted to be more reliable given its history.
Voluntary "reviews from actual people" are quite likely not to be as accurate a gauge of reliability as compiling actual warranty/repair/recall data from official sources. I'd expect very few spend much time in both vehicles. The "consumer ratings" may reflect styling.

When you say "Pilot actually does have a slight lead/Pilot is prone to problems" are you suggesting they're significantly less or more reliable than Expedition?

I always enjoy the full spread of opinions. One group believes the Pilot is significantly more reliable, JDP & CR conclude they have the "same"
reliability & another group believes the Expedition is significantly more reliable.

Don't think the Buy American aspect is a Red Herring. The Honda being made in the USA doesn't mean the profits benefit Americans. So far FORD hasn't bellied up for a Bail Out & remains an American company.

One aspect that's not ambiguous is FORD's heavy ladder frame & the belief that its dramatically stronger than Honda's unibody. To many the Pilot is just an oversized car, posing as a truck.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Mawk
Senior User
I'm not sugguesting that anything's less reliable than another. What I am saying is that Honda (as a company) has high remarks in reliability when compared Ford. If I didn't think Ford was reliable, I wouldn't have purchased one (again). When I said the pilot was prone to problems, I meant that when I did web searches on reviews and looked for feedback, there were quite a few that I hadn't expected for Honda. I've never looked into the Expedition, simply because we were looking at smaller crossover/suv's.

Is one superior than another? Absolutely! In what aspect? That depends on what you're looking for. With the outsourcing of jobs to Mexico, buying an "american" car doesn't benefit americans when it comes to the profit either.

Back to my original point. If the thread starter wants a Honda, there really is no reason for him not to. They are fantastic cars, and if he's shunned any possible ford in the future, it's his decision. Stating so on a ford forum will lead to biased opinions, as it would if he posted it on a honda forum. There are fan boys out there who think that only their car manufacturer is worthy, and fail to see advantages of other makes. Yet every time that make sets the bar higher, it only encourages the other companies to follow suit.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't say I was fan boy who only thinks Ford is worth buying. All I'm saying is "Keep it American". I realize not all the money stays over here, but how much money do you think stays over here when you buy a Honda as opposed to an F-150 or Silverado?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
dadlovesfords
Senior User
He needs to sign up at hondapilotlovers.com , not post here at FTE!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Mawk
Senior User
Already there.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM
FourthFordTruck
Senior User
Anyone can type in my user name and see the long list of problems I've had with these two vehicles, and those are just the ones I posted. As for those of you who wish to see me dead and splattered and in a coffin, I risk my life everyday to protect folks like you from the meth heads and gang bangers who would like nothing more than to blow your brains out and take your money, so I guess I might end up that way regardless. Sorry I don't want to drive anymore p.o.s.'s, and as I have owned 5 Ford's in a row I think I should have a decent opinion on the subject. See you on the streets.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FourthFordTruck
Anyone can type in my user name and see the long list of problems I've had with these two vehicles, and those are just the ones I posted. As for those of you who wish to see me dead and splattered and in a coffin, I risk my life everyday to protect folks like you from the meth heads and gang bangers who would like nothing more than to blow your brains out and take your money, so I guess I might end up that way regardless. Sorry I don't want to drive anymore p.o.s.'s, and as I have owned 5 Ford's in a row I think I should have a decent opinion on the subject. See you on the streets.
Thanks for your service.

Last edited by 6CylBill; 04-01-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Taking it to a PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
131,000 is pretty good for any engine. I will bet the failure has alot to do with neglect, abuse, or improper oil viscosity. A couple 10,000 mile oil changes , or some 10w40 oil , or overheating would do it. The question of the day is what caused the engine to fail, and why? You say little except to pass fault on ford. I think you should examine the cause more.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Ford recommends, what 8000 mile oil changes on there vehicles. I believe that 10k oil wont kill an engine unless theres another issue feeding the oil getting dirty.