1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Replacment Window regulators

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Holmsey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacment Window regulators

Hi Guys, I have just fitted some repro window winder regulators (1955 F100) that I got from Johnsffun100's and didn't order the ones with the longer shaft... so I ordered some longer shafts and have just fitted one.
The window wound up once then the shaft slips so the handle just turns.

I took it back out and the backing plate had buckled, so I reshaped it and it did it again. I have now welded a 3mm plate over where the shaft comes out, and again the window wound up once and then it slips again..

The winder was very notchy even before the shaft replacement. So do I have a dodgy regulator.. are the repro ones not so good.. Or do you think I may have cocked up the shaft replacement? Any Help would be mucho appreciated as it is doing my head in.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 PM
peecubed
Senior User
The remanufactured window regulator are complete garbage. I had the EXACT same problem as you. I would go to crank the window up and the backing plate would twist so the teeth on the handle shaft would disengage and then the handle would spin freely. I did the same as you and pulled it out, bent it back, and reinstalled and it happened again. This happened to both my passenger and driver side regulator. I never got to the point of welding on it. I tried to work with sacramento vintage ford (where i bought it) but they completely ignored me and wouldn't offer a refund. I haven't shopped there since.
Eventually I reinstalled my original regulators (which just need the 'clutch spring' which I ripped out of the remanufactured ones) and they work perfect. basically, I bought $90 regulators for the $0.15 spring inside the shaft housing (you cannot buy these springs individually...i checked everywhere)

Old 03-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
Thanks for the reply.. but Bugger!!! As I have just sold on my original regulators.... Not sure what my next move is... Maybe I will try and strengthen the section that holds the gear cog in place..

Old 03-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the answer now is just to go to electric windows.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
I have been trying to avoid that move Randy. I just love wind down windows.... Got a show in 2 week here and also a guy doing some art work on the LPG tank next week.. so I gotta come up with a plan very soon. The drivers one seems to work fine, but maybe not so when I fit the longer shaft... it must be something I am doing or not doing that has made the passenger side go wonky ;o)

Old 03-26-2009, 06:42 PM
peecubed
Senior User
I didn't replace the shafts on mine, so I don't think that is your problem. I think they're just crap. My driver side worked for about 2 min, my passenger side worked for about 4 months before it gave out...

Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
If you can lay your hands on stock regulators, it should not be too big a deal to cut the shaft and extend it a bit with a MIG wleder. That is what I did with my interior door opener. I run power windows but I don't think the window regulator shaft would be much would be any different that the door opening shafts.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
Yeah if I had my old ones, I would have no worries. I stupidly sold them to a guy who was desperate as he didn't have any. I had bought the new ones so thought I wouldn't need them and I could do him a favour, so we would all be happy.

They actually had the longer shafts, drivers side worked good but passenger side would wind down as I drove and you could pull the window down with the palms of your hands, so not very secure, when parked.

I will have a good look at them Sunday and if they cant be made good, I guess I will have to reluctantly go for the power windows... ;o(

Anyone converted to power that would sell me their old regulators.... pretty please ;o). x

Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
I have just been looking at the Midfifty power windows and the switch which uses the original handle. Before I jump in with both feet, has anyone any experience with this setup? I have the one piece windows to.

At over $400 I don't want to make a another mistake. And would I need an install kit or are the parts easy to make up?
Cheers.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:26 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Holmsey, I have the stock regulators from my 56, If I can find them(I'm pretty sure I can), you can have them. But, you have to figure out a simple way for me to get them to you. I don't mind a little bother, but don't want to make a great big deal out of it either. Let me know.

What I'm thinking is that I would just take them to a local postal annex and them packaged and shipped at your expense.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 PM
grumpy46
Elder User
Originally Posted by Holmsey
I have just been looking at the Midfifty power windows and the switch which uses the original handle. Before I jump in with both feet, has anyone any experience with this setup? I have the one piece windows to.

At over $400 I don't want to make a another mistake. And would I need an install kit or are the parts easy to make up?
Cheers.
i don't know where you got the $400 from. the mid fifty sells them for $189.95 a pair. i prefer the power regulators that they sell for $250 a pair

Old 03-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
That would be fantastic B/B Ford, What I intend to do is have a proper look at them tomorrow (Sunday) and if I cant make any use out of them then I need to get some replacements. Looks like original is the best option and I really do welcome your offer.
I sent a steering UJ (jag) to Bill on here same deal, cost of postage.
If you can find the cost of postage I will send you the $'s.... But as I said I will have a good go at my repro ones tomorrow then take you up on your offer if that's cool with you.

Hi Grumpy ;o) .... love that name... the $400 bucks was $240 for the power kit and $189.95 for the switches.. + Shipping + import. x

Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
grumpy46
Elder User
i guess i read it wrong. i thought you were just gettong that box that attaches to the window crank. you got the good kit

Old 03-29-2009, 05:50 AM
Holmsey
Senior User
Hi... so bad day at black rock.. Tried in vain to sort the regulators, the problem is with the teeth on the large cog that lifts the window up and down..... there aren't any. They have all rounded off, how garbage is that.
Just about to take B/B Ford up on his offer and noticed his are 56 one's mine is a 55 so wont work.. Thanks again Buddy.

I have had an offer from someone else on here so, I am going to see if I can get that sorted. Cheers those that have contributed to this thread.

Got a show in a few week hope I can get all sorted by then. I should of left well alone, ya live and learn even at my age ;o)

Old 03-29-2009, 12:53 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't realize that they were different for 55 than 56 Holmsey.
Good luck.