Some gear head thinkin

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:58 AM
Lvcrprts
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Some gear head thinkin

Ok all i have been thinking about this for a while now but want your guys opinion. With a 390 i can get lots of torque but i wonder why so much has to be put into it money wise just have the torque of the 385 series. I understand the addage no replacement for displacement but i am curious, did the cubic inch wars back in the 60's or even 50's push cubic inch levels to where they are today?? From what i gather the 385 block has deeper skirts on the bottom end of the piston hole to allow for longer strokes. Now i have heard a screaming 429 and some will say that is their favorite but why did ford stop at 460?? Was it only to have bigger cubes than the 454? Why didn't the makers continue to keep pushing cubic inch limits? Was it because of the reciprocating mass that was involved making it more suitable for heavier duty trucks? Maybe this question has already been previously answered in a previous thread so feel free to lead me to it. Just curious about some things. I know where i can get a 71' 429 and am wondering if i should sink the money into it or just hang onto the reliable 390. Not gonna be twisting it up to 6000 but imagine when i pass someone it will see 4000. Since the bigger engine makes more torque on the lower curve and with less effort how much different would it be for the 390? People i have talked to say they like the ole 390 so i am thinking it would be cool to rebuild her and show off the old iron. Now from reading i have learned that bigger motors also require more fuel to make the same amount of kinetic energy (i believe that's the word), but if the smaller motor would require less fuel for the same energy wouldn't it be wise to stick with that? I mean sure one of those bad *** Boss motors would be great but ain't gonna happen when i don't play the lotto besides i would never take it out of the garage. Just wondering if all this is just too much of a headache and for me to just stick with what i have. Don't think i will be using it for towing much but when the need arises i want to be able to do it with no problems. Last truck i had used $125 just to drive from here to Seattle cause i let the engine builder talk me into a RV cam.. 4 barrels were open all the time even with really stiff springs on the secondaries and i was twisting it about 3000 with basically stock tires. Probably only gonna get 10 miles to the gallon maybe thats why my truck has two tanks..Ole girl is plenty thirsty when going down the road. Loved the Ford i saw on Pinks that thing was kicking some serious @$$, love seeing old iron motating like that i cranked my tv everytime he did a burnout. What set of long tube headers can i put on this beast that will fit without a shoehorn and busted knuckles?? Had headers on my 440 on my other truck and those were a PITA, lost a starter every 2 months plus jacking up motor just to replace exhaust gaskets sucked i hated it but loved the sound. Just thinking out loud maybe some can chime in.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:52 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
What is the difference in stroke between an FE and a 460?

3.85 on a 460, and a 428 is 3.98. 390 is 3.784

Pretty close. However, there is no replacement for displacement. The 460 will always put out more torque.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:03 PM
JesusRocks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neither are going to get good mpg. you can change this more with gear ratio. And from the factory the 390 made more tq and hp than the 460. But as far as potential goes, more with the 460 of course. And it'll be cheaper to build, but both platforms can be built to more than suit the needs of almost anybody. 532ci max with fe and like 600ci with 385. And both are putting down some serious power. It just comes down to your preference.