1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

How to clean rear window w/cap?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How to clean rear window w/cap?

I'd asked how to clean the outside of rear window & front glass in the cap before, but didn't want to follow the suggestion of removing the cap. I continue to be vexed by the problem & the windows are getting ridiculously dirty these days. Keep meaning to call around some of the retailers who sell caps for suggestions. Think about rigging a sponge, or brush, on a stiff wire or metal strap extension handle, shielded by hose so as not to scratch paint, or perhaps a rope/bungee to 'floss' the windows clean, but haven't worked anything up yet.

I recall seeing foam, or inflatable, rings that seal the window area off from the elements years ago, perhaps in JC Whitney, but haven't run across them recently. These were made for campers, so that you could go in/out thru rear window opening.

Anybody got a practical solution short of pulling the cap?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a window washing brush with the long handle for semi trucks to wash my window. I have a headache rack that only leaves me about 3" of room. Sponge on one side and squeege on other dosn't scratch a thing.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Thanks, but. Been there. Done that. Not sure what a "headache rack" is, but if I had the luxury of "about 3" between the rear window & the Jeraco cap I wouldn't be asking this Q here. Perhaps its needless to say, but the great variety of caps present a wide range of gaps. This combo doesn't leave enough room for me to get my hand in past my knuckles. Its the shapes of the rear window trim & unfortunate 'closing' front edge of cap that make for the very narrow gap.

Originally Posted by flamebuster
I use a window washing brush with the long handle for semi trucks to wash my window. I have a headache rack that only leaves me about 3" of room.
I have 1 of the "window washing brush" gizmos, not actually a "brush" it has a sponge wrapped in a scouring net like material on 1 side & squeege on the other. Even tried it from above, while standing on a step ladder to no avail. Of course not all of these tools are made the same, but it wasn't even close to going in this narrow 'doglegged' gap. There was absolutely no chance from the side.

Note: Jeraco's phone number was no longer in service.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:44 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
does sound like a close fit, maybe a beach towel pulled back and forth would take two people but hey might work, any tighter and you will need a gun cleaner... ha ha..

Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 AM
guitarking135
Freshman User
take a hose or power washer and spray it clean... or just suck it up and move the topper back . ha ha you may try some rainx after I've had good luck with that keeping my windows cleaner longer

Old 03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Brilliant "take a hose"! Why didn't I think of that? Well of course I've tried to use "a hose" however I haven't tried a "power washer" per se. Do the 'wands' at coin op car washes count? Have thought about getting somekind of nozzle that sprays perpendicular to the hose, but suspect it needs some scrubbing action. Still think there has to be an easier way.

Sorry, you may "just suck it up and move the topper back . ha ha" but that's already been on the table & I'm looking for some creative suggestions here.

Note that the issue of "keeping my windows cleaner longer" is a bit of a Red Herring. To the best of my knowledge the windows have never been cleaned since '98 & it wasn't much of an issue b/c the F150 had always been garaged until I got it at the end of '07 w/only 7500 miles on it.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
How about taking an old bedsheet, roll it into a tube with maybe a sponge inside of it, soak the whole thing in suds, get a friend and floss both windows simultaneously. The sponge should compress enough--choose the thickness of the sponge to suit. If it moves around, maybe tie (like a sausage link) or sew the sponge in place.

You're welcome,
George

Last edited by LxMan1; 03-27-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Removed unneeded sly remarks!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
I mentioned the idea to 'floss' the windows clean in the OP. Then flamebuster seconded it. However I should've made it clear that I'm hoping to find a simple method that's not a 2 man job.

The local cap dealer confirms that "move the topper back" is the usual drill. He did mention that you can usually pop the seal by standing up inside the cap & slide it back w/o to much drama. Was suggested to use a couple of boards across the bed, so as to prevent the cap from going askew, dropping down & scratching the paint. Apparently once detached from the PU bed a FG cap is quite floppy. Still sounds like a major PITA, when the right tool would make cleaning a 10 minute job.

Going to "just suck it up" & try to make up a window cleaning tool using a strap of plexiglass/Lexan scrap, spray some 3M #77 adhesive on it's end & afix a sponge to it. It should be flexible enough to snake thru the narrow gap, yet rigid enough so I can do some scrubbing. I'll sand the edges round & smooth so as to reduce the risk of scratching the paint. Suspect it'll take less time to make & use than moving the cap back just once. Will let everyone know how it works out. Will save my friend's time for the cold beers afterwards.