1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fuseable link ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Sam, do you really have a 460 in that little F100?

Julie, I guess I have more to wire in since I am installing the GM 1-wire alternator, i.e. a fused link?.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is a link to a great site for installing the GM one wire:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...ord_Truck.html

Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Glockem45
Sam, do you really have a 460 in that little F100?
yep (pre-running pics)

Sam

Old 03-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Woodsman_30350
Elder User
I was facing the same question with my EZ Wiring harness and did what most stupid people do.....I called EZ tech support. According to their instructions, you take the 14 ga. black wire with the loop connector on one end (it is in the kit) and connect it to the 12 ga. red wire from the fuse panel that is normally connected to the positive terminal of the starter solenoid. The black wire (EZ's fuseable) with be your fuseable protection. Straight from the horses mouth.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:10 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Woodsman_30350
I was facing the same question with my EZ Wiring harness and did what most stupid people do.....I called EZ tech support. According to their instructions, you take the 14 ga. black wire with the loop connector on one end (it is in the kit) and connect it to the 12 ga. red wire from the fuse panel that is normally connected to the positive terminal of the starter solenoid. The black wire (EZ's fuseable) with be your fuseable protection. Straight from the horses mouth.
yep, except, according to the load charts, the 12ga FL isn't enough for example, if you have one of those Ford Taurus electric fans that suck down 45amps at full speed (by itself) and you feed that thru the fuse box. (and air bag pumps, electric fuel pump, a killer stereo, power windows & door locks)..

Sam

Old 03-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Woodsman_30350
Elder User
You are right Sam. Except that I am just a simple country boy who does not have or what all that current hogging stuff. I too old to try to attrach the girls so I will just use my truck to go back and forth to Tractor Supply!!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

OMG that is amazing. And heck, I thought I was proud of how well I did rebuilding my carb, and now that I see your engine compartment I am once again humbled. You sir, I should bow down to.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow Sam, that does look great. (despite that dirty ol Holley carb) Very nice - I'm jealous!

Stupid question to follow up from the EZ wire tech support "Fusable link" suggestion.

Did they happen to say what happens when the 14 gauge wire frys in two and the hot end drops off to reshort on your block - or God forbid - dash, and it continues to melt (and weld) until you are at the end where the 12 gauge wire is grafted on, then it gets worse?

I would imagine that would look just like the cordite fuses they used to use for dynamite in all the western movies. HAve any of you ever used a Wire Welder? How may amps does it draw? A loose wire from a shorted alternator is EXACTLY a wire welder.

Be certain when you use and fusable link, that is it iolated, insulated, and enclosed in a non conducting and heat proof casing. I would still be calling the alternator manufacturer for an encased fuse.

Or, call the guys at "Tuff Stuff" - they make alternators and there advice has always been good (they never tried to pass electrical melarchy at this girl - who just happens to know the difference between a muffler bearing, and a shock absorber solenoid).

Products :: Tuff Stuff Performance

Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Woodsman_30350
Elder User
Julie, I will do some further research on my fuseable link but at least I have a Tuff Stuff one wire for my 351W.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

OMG that is amazing. And heck, I thought I was proud of how well I did rebuilding my carb, and now that I see your engine compartment I am once again humbled. You sir, I should bow down to.
thank you.. mind you the dress ball milled valve covers aren't installed yet, the polished carb and oval air cleaner are missing too. (less to mess up while testing).

here is a pic after the engine paint with the fancy valve covers on. (before we painted the distributor cap too.. that blue is FUGLY)

all the engine wires come up from the tranny tunnel (using weather proof connectors to unplug the harness) thru a (to be polished) stainless pipe along the top of the polished intake. (you can see the plastic pipe prototype in the second picture) with hidden cutouts for the oil pressure sensor wire, and choke wire. very little of wires will show in the engine bay.

hm.. sorry to hijack the thread here..

Sam

Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Wow Sam, that does look great. (despite that dirty ol Holley carb) Very nice - I'm jealous!

Stupid question to follow up from the EZ wire tech support "Fusable link" suggestion.

Did they happen to say what happens when the 14 gauge wire frys in two and the hot end drops off to reshort on your block - or God forbid - dash, and it continues to melt (and weld) until you are at the end where the 12 gauge wire is grafted on, then it gets worse?

I would imagine that would look just like the cordite fuses they used to use for dynamite in all the western movies. HAve any of you ever used a Wire Welder? How may amps does it draw? A loose wire from a shorted alternator is EXACTLY a wire welder.

Be certain when you use and fusable link, that is it iolated, insulated, and enclosed in a non conducting and heat proof casing. I would still be calling the alternator manufacturer for an encased fuse.

Or, call the guys at "Tuff Stuff" - they make alternators and there advice has always been good (they never tried to pass electrical melarchy at this girl - who just happens to know the difference between a muffler bearing, and a shock absorber solenoid).

Products :: Tuff Stuff Performance
this is supposed to be THE ONLY hot lead back to the main harness. but in my case the battery is connected to this same lug (battery, alternator and main harness lead,) oh, and the alternator sense wire is on the far side of the fusable link.. such that when the link breaks the alternator cannot sense its output, and turns it off..

Sam

Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Sam, that truck is just way to pretty. How are you going to haul mulch and firewood in that thing?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:28 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Sam, that truck is just way to pretty. How are you going to haul mulch and firewood in that thing?
yeh, about that, I'm trying to figure out how to DRIVE the darn thing.. killing me.. rule 1: don't pick the unmatchable pretty paint..

Sam

Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Knowing that you are a Texan, I bet you will get it all finished, detailed, and then go right out and find a mud hole to go play in, just because.