Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Junior User

highcountry is starting off with a positive reputation.
trailer axle identification

Hi,

I have access to a chassis with tandem axles that used to be an old 21' travel trailer untill a big tree landed on it. I was thinking about using the chassis as a bumper hitch flat bed trailer. The GVWR sticker is long gone unfortunately. I am trying to find out if the axles are worth saving. They carry an odd four bolt split rim wheel with reverse thread lug bolts on one side. The hubs are marked "DAYTON" and have the following numbers- W-2 and 9222 there is also a small indescernable number that I will attempt to make out if it would be helpfull. I would like to know what these axles are rated at and if there is any way to swap hubs to carry a centerless type wheel. Thanks for any information.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:12 PM
Freshman User

kbmc4 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Get your spindel meas. dia. how long and where the steps are call where ever you get trailer parts they most likley can get you hubs that fit your spindels you can have 2500# axles and 1500# springs so you need to look at them also.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:50 PM
New User

jrshaw1 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Is it a split rim or is it a Fayette? Fayettes have about an 8" round center with 4 lugbolts, driver's side is left hand thread.

Any pics??

Jrshaw1
Old 09-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Post Fiend

johnsdiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.

CMP Info2
Old 03-27-2006, 02:27 AM
New User

bprea is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi, I was searching for a new fayette rim and hub because I ruined mine when i got a flat because WHO WOULD A' THUNK that it was reverse thread. I know this was an old reply but do you have any idea where I can find them?
Thanks for any reply,
Brian
Old 03-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn jowilker
highcountry, Unless you have a high cube low weight use for the trailer, I don't think it would be a good candidate. Think about the big hiway trailers. Look under a box trailer and there isn't much to see, a flatbed has much more frame under it, the lowboys have more. The tt uses the ridged sides and top to keep everything together and has a light weight frame, also it is not a cargo hauler so there isn't much extra factored in. IMHO

John
Old 03-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Senior User

Edkajo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Can't help with the axles but just adding .

We had a 1977 21' tandem axle travel trailer but it had the standard 15" (dodge van )rims on it (IIRC) with the reverse lug bolts. I'm positive the gvwr on it was 5500lbs. Was thinking of doing the same with a new bed using the old frame and axles. I ended finding a buyer for the old camper and never did it.

Just realized this was from 2002

Last edited by Edkajo; 03-27-2006 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Just noticed
Old 03-27-2006, 06:19 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels

Tags
axle, axles, bolts, conversion, dayton, dodge, fayette, id, identification, lug, older, parts, rim, rims, split, trailer, travel