Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearings going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel bearings going bad?

I have a feeling my front bearings are starting to go, and thankfully I am under warranty till February and many more miles. They are making some noise that sounds kinda like a mud tire howling and changes with the load on the wheel. Seems to be the drivers side, but I suspect both are going, hard to tell from the drivers seat though. They started making a lil noise about 1K miles ago and has slowly gotten a lil louder, I am holding off taking it to the dealer till it gets a lil more noticeable cause when a tech tells me something like "that's normal/I don't hear anything" I feel like punching them in the head.

Just wondering what peoples experience has been when they had the wheel bearings go out. Will they continue to get louder till its somewhat obvious its a problem, or should I get this fixed before a catastrophic failure? Just wanna make sure I don't hurt anything else, or have a failure that becomes a safety issue. Also I don't have my other cars insured just yet (they are driven seasonally) so I'd like to wait till I have my other car drivable to drop my truck off for work.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:00 PM
ExcursionMan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't wait get them replaced. Made the mistake of ignoring the noise in my front end and ended up getting the driver side one replaced on way home from TN a few weeks ago. Thankfully found a honest mechanic and got off relativley cheap at $420 for parts and labor, the worst part was the 8 hour delay.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I wouldn't wait either. I understand you can verify the wheel bearing by locking in your hub. The noise usually will subside or at least be quieter.

It may just be the hub or needle bearing as well. if you're handy and have some time you can pull it off for a bit of scheduled maintenance. Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Maintenance Web Page

Old 04-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Humm interesting that locking the hub would make the noise go away. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I think I'm gonna add my impala to my insurance next week and take my truck in and see what they tell me, hoping for new wheel bearings as I don't wanna come out of pocket for em later after the warranty is over.