1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

This is going to get expensive

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:13 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is going to get expensive

For the 51.

For the 52 (for the authentic look, you'd need to place an original 52 tab over the year).

For the 37 Airflow.

or

https://www.licenseplates.tv/index.php now offers California "replica" plates going back to 1929. They'll emboss a metal plate (as shown above) with any number/letter characters as long as they fit. Going rate for a plate above is $100/plate. Other years are cheaper and/or same price, depending on the style.

This is also a good alternative to getting plates "restored". Instead of having actual plates restored, you can have them "replicated". Now you can buy a single plate for your appropriate year at a swap meet for really cheap, make sure that it's clear through the DMV and order yourself a "replica" pair. Then bam, boom and you're done! You have a nice pair of correct "replica" plates on your vehicle.

Some time ago, I had a 1963 style plate made by this for the 51 and 52 Panels (with the same combo as above - my actual registered license plates). They came out looking nice. Don't forget, they're not plastic. They're made out of similar material as the real plates.

Don't forget, the plates are for "collection" purposes only and are not being shipped to CA. I'm pretty sure that a loophole could be found (aka friends and/or family ina different state).

Old 03-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Very good to know!

After buying an original set that were DMV clear (for about $275) then spending another $400 to have them restored (that also included my boat trailer plate to though). It sounds great!

The California DMV don't have a special person trained with x-ray vision who checks these when you go in to get them put on your truck, it's just the regular clerk. The lady that did mine looked to make sure the number was clear, had me fill out the 3 forms required, made a xerox copy of the plate, took $30 and sent me on my way with a temp window sticker. 2 weeks later I had the new registration and stickers - but no tabs to mount to the plate holder for the stickers (there is no place to put them on the plates) - I guess you need to specifically request them. It was VERY EASY to get the YOM plates registered.

In Ca. if you have a 52-55 you need to use a YELLOW ON BLACK 51 plate and buy the metal "52" (etc) tab that has the righ year of your truck on it. They are usually available at the larger parts swap meets - THEY CAME IN DIFFERENT COLORS.

In 1956 Ca. went to BLACK ON YELLOW so for 57+ you also need to find the year tabs. Good news is most of the cops (unless they are old car guys or post here) don't know the difference between the real and the counterfiet plates either. Funny thing is, the statute just says the plate needs to represent a readable facsimily - doesn't say anything about it having to be original - but there has to be somethng somewhere.

Here's a link to it

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

Good hunting!