1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Put your creative hats on. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM
denverslim
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put your creative hats on. Need advice.

Ok guys. I'm here to kinda introduce myself. I've been lurking around for a while throwing in 2 cents every once in a while, getting the feel for what seems to be a really reliable and knowledgeble bunch--that likes old Ford trucks. I have restored 49 convertible that I run around to the shows and cruises in, a 49 F-2 that's still rough-looking but rebuilt drivetrain and brakes making it a great reliable beater. I'm also own a running grain-hauler F-6 that I'm not sure what to do with, but "had to have it" if ya know what I mean. All of my old Fords are running old flattie V-8s, and during the process of rebuilding them, I got pretty good at it, and onething leads to another, now I've got 7 or 8 around and rebuild and sell 2 or 3 a year usually for local guys who love the flathead engine.

Ok, nuff bragging. Here's where I need help.
Problably going on 7 or 8 years ago I found and bought this old puppy. (again HAD to have it) I'm trying to show a picture of it here, but it's a '51 Ford F-4 short school bus. Pretty rough, but the price was right, looks like a hippy had it in the 70's (old brown **** carpeting through-out, remnants of a period stereo--its unthinkable what may have gone on in there). At one time it was a Cromwell tool van, as I can see the faded name under several coats of brushed on paint.
Me and my buddy Gustavo are gonna rebuild this thing. Gustavo is an old school "panel beater" still makes a living fixing the dents on poor peoples comuter cars usually for cash.
I'm leaning toward a sort of "ratrod school bus" maybe set it up as something I can follow the Early Ford V-8 club tours on. I was thinking about setting up camping quarters in the rear. Or another idea included the school bus seats, maybe something a half dozen of us V-8ers could jump in and adventure out to Bonneville for a few days. You get the picture.
There is no engine or tranny (or drivetrain) to the rear-end which has been replaced with something. (Looks like 60s Ford)
Will a Flattie V-8 get this thing around fast enough to keep us out from under traffic? I've got several in the wings and can rebuild em. I even have one of the 337 cu in that came out of a F-8s.
Or should I totally scrap the Flattie idea and probably save lots of time and $$ and just find a more modern Ford truck (like a F-350) with good brakes and go that way.
Gustavo's got his eye out for school bus yellow paint...slim

Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
John Force would be proud!, lol. Flattie with a T5 seems the ticket for a lighter weight ride, but for something like this, I think modern would be the way to go. Not too modern to make things complicated, but something like a 460 and ZF 5 speed would be nice. Or a diesel?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
EFI 5.0 and an AOD. Not a fan of automatics but in bigger trucks it's just more practical. Honestly, I'd even go so far as to suggest a 700R4 over an AOD. With OD and EFI you could afford to hit the road and not go bankrupt (gas WILL go back to $4 eventually!)

As far as what to do with it, how about an RV with sleeping/eating space, I always wanted to do one like that. Actually a somewhat longer one with room in back for a motorcycle. Back in '76 I ran into two guys who had converted a 72 passenger bus into an RV with room in the back for a pair of choppers. Saw them in Virginia, they had already been from home in Michigan to CA and the SW, down to FL and up the coast by the time I saw them. Ah, the good old days...Easy Rider and Magic Bus all in one...

Old 03-22-2009, 02:52 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The bus Overhaulin did for John Force was one cool bus. I think it was a 56.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd scrap the flattie idea - I think that would make you a freeway target.

It sounds like you need a machine with power and good high speed/long driving characteristics. What kind of (gear wise) rear end does it have and what are your plans for that? I really don't see you taking something that big over 70 MPH (or are you insane)

I would think that at a minimum a 351W if you want a small block or a 427 if you like FEs or a 460 would be great. With that much weight, I'd stay away from an overdrive unit (just my opinion) and put in a C6 - bullet proof.

If you can, gear your rear end to about 3.00 I have a big strong mid 60s "Big Ford" 9 3/8 rear (also had them in Camper Special trucks) end in my F1 that is a variant of the 9" and if you were to gear it at 3.00, or even down to 2.80, with any of the engines I described, you'd have plenty of power going up hills or on the freeway.

I like Ross' idea about the 5.0 and mine about the 351W because the parts are so available. But I think a strong automatic will make life easier and more reliable for you.

You don't want to underpower this thing. The 351 W is actually lighter than a 239 or a 337 L head, and the 427 with an aluminum intake weighs about the same as the 239. Add another 75 pounds for a 460 - which is nothing really.

I'd also for sure change out the radiator to a four or even five row.

It's so cute - looks like a potatoe bug!

Are you going to lower it down? That would be sooooo cool! I like the semi camper idea too.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 PM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it was mine, I think I'd be looking for a wrecked E350 to set the body on. I'd also look for removable van seats. (The ones that lock into a channel in the floor.) You'd be able to cruise reliably with 1/2 way decent MPG, PLUS seat 10 or 12 good friends comfortably. Need to haul? Pull the van seats and its a carvern inside. Going camping? Throw a couple blow-up camping beds in the back and youre having fun. Just a thought.....

Old 03-22-2009, 04:03 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a f350 that had a 239 y block and much like yours prolly is , geared to beat hell . mine had 5:14's in it . no top end and no freakin' economy although it aint gonna be a mileage champ anyway . i wanted the straight axle etc. to keep the old school look and feel so i ended up procuring two fe big blocks one of which was destined , along with a 4: 11 geared diff out of a 73 one ton to come to life in it . also i had the added benefit of being able to make my fe's look nostalgic with all the old parts available and fit in with the old school look . deisels have gopt there place , but not here in my case , too much bull sh-t to put one of the techno wonders in something else .

Old 03-22-2009, 04:22 PM
oldmajor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm wondering if its okay to drive the short bus as long as you aren't riding in the short bus.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:04 PM
economan
Senior User
yep!
cool!
i've seen a few rodded busses over the years, & think they are just the coolest thing going. o'coarse i like rodded step/parcel vans too....

i'd build er' for reliable fuel efficency, with just a hint o power for a quick gettaway.
and auto trans.

fer'sure do the inside as a camper type setup, i did that with my 58 panel, along with the fuel efficiant driveline 305 700r-4 economy cammed & jetted down, 3.50 gears, it will get 30 mpg hwy.
with a fuel sipping camper type setup it allows me n' the missus to go further afield to shows, you can only to local shows so much til you have seen everything ad nausiem
so we can usually headout fri nite after work or early sat a.m. not have to rush to get to the show, sleep over & poke home the next day. or do a sat & sun show 4 or 5 hrs from home. also nice to have the little kitchenette on board, sure saves $$ on eating out on those show going weeknds. heck we sedom take the econo to shows anymore cuz the panel is so handily equipped for all the comforts of home.
mikie
near ottawa canada
58 merc panel 64 econo p/u

Old 03-22-2009, 05:27 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
I say go with the big 472/500 Caddy (but then I'm a little biased). They are fairly lightweight (only 50 lbs heavier than a small block chevy) they make phenomenal torque and still get decent mileage (if you can keep your foot out of the carb) Couple it with a 4 speed auto tranny and it would make a great truck. The 455 Olds engine is also a great torque monster that makes a great truck engine.

Good luck with it, its a neat little bus
Bobby

Old 03-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by denverslim
Will a Flattie V-8 get this thing around fast enough to keep us out from under traffic?
NO!

August 1993 Street Rodder, maybe find one.

Or bag it!

Thanks for asking, go nuts with it and have fun!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A rollover f350 or 450 with 7.3 or 6.4 and swap the body to late model components, haul them Yungens in style.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
bassn1
Senior User
I allways wondered what happened to the bus from the Partrige Family..

Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 PM
56 Sweety
Junior User
Hey Slim, you got a good lookin project there -- my vote would be to find a banged up
F-350 and put the bus body on the F-350 frame/running gear.. ( maybe section the frame ??
and away you go !!!

Gib

Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
that's a neat toy! i agree with most in putting body on 350-450 chassis. even, (don't yell), a dodge 3500 with cummins power. get er done!