Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Virginia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: archtaan

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
the Virginia Chapter GARDEN thread

HEY!!!

Whatch'all planting this year?

I figure it's close enough to growing season to have seed trays started, and it might be a helpful thread to have in each chapter...

I forget whether or not Virginia stays cold longer than western TN - but it's a prime time to get seedlings up and going in Memphis. It's been above 60 several weeks, and the farmers almanac (among others) claimed the third week in march would be the last of the bad cold for plants...

I already have one corn sprout (I was testing the seed packet) almost eight inches tall! But I have trays and trays laid out with seeds in them...

Corn
Pumpkin (!)
Cayenne peppers
Habernero peppers
Anahiem Chili ("Relleno's" )
Hungarian Wax peppers
Beefsteak tomatos
@Weeks Seeds Giant Variety tomatos
~Some others I can't recall at the moment

This could be a fun thread, and may even be filled with "BS" (which is not a bad thing), but we could also swap pictures and advice here...

~Wolfie

Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Postmaster

Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.
been a bit chilly these last weeks, but flowers are blooming so I shant be taking much more time to get my veggies in

this will be my third year, first two I started late and really crowded it in. . .tomatoes, squash, cucs, hot peppers, pepers, etc. . .just way to many for such a small area. . .that and they grew much larger (and taller) then expected. . .

This year, I want to do something different. . .I have a trellis in the back for string beans, and try growing squash and cucs up bean poles (heard it's easier to keep that white mildew off the leaves) and then a few various melons on the ground. . .did 1 or 2 melons these last two years and they were fun. . .would like to dedicated most of my garden space to them this year. . .MAYBE 1-2 cherry tomato plants. . .I had 14 various tomatoe plants last year so I'm kind of sick of them :P

cherries are awesome though, pick a handful of them right off the vine and eat em while I'm working on truck stuff in the garage those were just for me, rarely had enough to make it into the house to share

This week I want to start turning over the dirt and fertilizing at least around the trellis. . .get them bean seeds in now and cover them in black plastic. . .

1987 F-250 4x4
VIRGINIA CHAPTER
Virginia Chapter Website
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Elder User

SSG VA BEACH is starting off with a positive reputation.
Homegrown tomatoe sandwhich, with some quality mayo
Had bean vine all thru my ladders and a cantalopes making a suprise apearance under the tomatoe's, must have thrown some seeds in the compost nearby, didn't have any flavor though.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
Ya know what could work real well on a landing? (I'm thinking about all those condo's along Whilloughby Spit now, two rooms wide and five stories high ) but on an outside stairwell a big pot with cherry tom's could have the vine hang over the side to the next landing down...

Sound like a winner? That could work terrific in an apartment complex if the kids didn't eat them all

About a four or five gallon planter, and if the party animals next door pee in it just add more water while passing by...

(Crusty of me I know, but I DID survive several years in an apartment in the party capital of Virginia, second only to the college towns)

The bad thing about apartments is jerks that drop cigarette butts in your plants...

Oh well, neither here nor there.
If you are so lucky as to have your own "Honest to John Wayne" yard - it's a whole new ballgame!

I never had "FRIED GREEN TOMATOES" 'til I came home and got serious about it
(BATTER FRIED - awesome stuff!!!)
Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Posting Legend

Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
i planted these last fall... they sit dormant during the winter then sprout up during the spring...

Click the image to open in full size.

i need to get some more pics though... theyve gotten brighter and opened more since i took these...
Shawn Official #11 Slackmaster!#1b WINTER ENTHUSIAST
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. "
-- Edgar Allan Poe
"I don't Fail... I succeed at finding what doesn't work!"
-- Christopher Titus
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Posting Legend

Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
those pics were a couple weeks old when they first bloomed... i took these today...

-- Edgar Allan Poe
-- Christopher Titus
Old 03-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Postmaster

Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.
with all the condos around here they have a lot of balcony gardening kits. . .kind of neat what people grow in those things

Got some seeds today, going to get at least the bean seeds in and going. . .

flowers look good, have no idea what they are though
1987 F-250 4x4
VIRGINIA CHAPTER
Virginia Chapter Website
Old 03-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Posting Legend

hyacinth...
-- Edgar Allan Poe
-- Christopher Titus
Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Postmaster

cool beans!

I got my green beans planted. . .need to get crackin on the rest of it. . .
1987 F-250 4x4
VIRGINIA CHAPTER
Virginia Chapter Website
Old 04-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Laf, sparky, the camera focused on the bricks.
Make sure you turn on macro mode. (the flower!)
Camera's are dumb, they dont know what we are thinking half the time.
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Posting Guru

MissIndependent is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MissIndependent is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
go buy that powerstroke already, william!!

1996 F250 XLT 7.3L PSD SC/LB 4x4, auto, 4.10s, 4" suspension lift on 37" Goodyear Wrangler MTs, 6637 air filter, 208k+ mi and counting

Plotting: stacks, gauges, tw chip, cat/muffler delete, and more that won't fit
Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
Laf, sparky, the camera focused on the bricks.
Make sure you turn on macro mode. (the flower!)
Camera's are dumb, they dont know what we are thinking half the time.
1. mine doesnt have modes.. it aint that new...
2.. it was windy and the plants were moving...
-- Edgar Allan Poe
-- Christopher Titus
Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Postmaster

Lol. . .

Was hoping to get the rest of the garden turned over today but the weather wasn't cooperating
1987 F-250 4x4
VIRGINIA CHAPTER
Virginia Chapter Website
Old 04-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Posting Legend

yeah today started off nice.. then the bottom just seemed to fall out of the thermometer... one minute it was warm and lil humid.. went back outside 5 mins later and it got windy and chilly... had to dig my winter coat back out...
-- Edgar Allan Poe
-- Christopher Titus
Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM
NY CHAPTER LDR

tiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputation
When the ground finally warms up enough and drys off so that I can get the roto tiller out, I will be planting the basics in the veggie garden. Tomatoes, corn, peppers, broccolli, squash, corn, yellow and green beans, lettuce, radishes, lima beans, peas, carrots and a few other odds and ends.

Got a couple of bushes that I need to yank out and those will be replaced with some burning bushes that I bought last fall that I wintered over.
Official #2 Slackmaster & Pyroslacker Extraordinaire

To Join The NEW YORK CHAPTER CLICK HERE

R.I.P. Wallace 9/6/14 & Annabelle 10/15/14, man's best friends
Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM