General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Starting plants for this year (Veggies)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:38 AM
70blue
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
I wish we could plant a garden. Our yard isn't big enough. The property behind us is huge though, I don't know why they don't. If we had their yard, we'd have corn and potatoes, maybe carrots, lettuce, onions... We had all that when I was a kid. Oh, broccoli and cauliflower too.

But you guys got me intrigued with peppers. How big of a pot do you need to grow peppers? Like jalapeno, chili and habanero peppers.
Might not be a bad idea to talk to the neighbors. They might possibly have more lawn than they feel like mowing. That is how I am going to get some extra garden space.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Breaking News... (API)
Thread Archeologist and amateur Gardener Professor Wolfuss Maximus has unearthed a General Gardening thread which he claims will revolutionise FTE Frivolous threads.
(See full article at bottom of Page E-29)

I've found that you need about 24" by 24" for most peppers, but many of them drive roots down a very long way, since they are from arid climates usually and are "Water Seekers".

In the garden, 24" is good spacing between plants, but you should leave a three foot "BREAK SPACE" between every two rows so that you can get in between them without any hassles. Most pepper bushes grow to a full size of approximately 3' in diameter - placing them a foot closer lets them grow together, and makes them a little sturdier if you have a lot of wind.

My usual plan is to plant blocks of six or eight pepper plants in groups to keep them together for mutual pollination, and so that they form pepper "HEDGES" that stand up well to stormy conditions.

Containerized plants will most likely require some sort of plant food that will not become toxic to the plants over time in order to compensate for possible root bound conditions.

One suggestion as well is to use a container with holes in the bottom -but place it in a tub such as a water heater basin. Landscaping outfits often have excellent containers that can be had cheaply because they are left-over from trees and shrubs that were originally in them.

(Water Heater Basins are protective surrounds often used under household water heaters in case they one day develop a leak. You can find them at many hardware outlets)