Help in buying an F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 PM
spittle8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help in buying an F-150?

Howdy, I'm interested in purchasing an F-150. My query is as follows.
Justification: I feel I need an F-150 for a myriad of reasons, specifically:
I am an avid backpacker/hiker/camper and I'm going to start hunting and plan on doing as much regularly. Growing up, my Father took us on logging roads to get to the best trailheads and camping spots. Our family car was a sedan, and it got us into trouble at times.

I plan on towing a friends yacht from New Mexico to Key West (or thereabouts).

We don't get snow plows in our neighborhood, and my Mom's Cavalier has been stuck in snow drifts many times. Neighbors have similar issues and it's really comical here in Detroit.

I may be working in construction in the near future, but my aspirations are either Detroit PD or the Marine Corps, and with the things I plan on doing, having a truck as opposed to a sedan seems reasonable.

Financial situation: I'm rather poor so this is really only an option as I can apparently get the Ford A-plan. My Grandfather worked for Ford for decades, died on the job, and as I understand it I'm eligible as long as my Grandma is alive. Making monthly payments should be no problem, but until I find a stronger source of income, I wouldn't expect to make much more than the minimum monthly payment. I would however be a responsible customer. Insurance costs here in Detroit would be immense.

And finally, I really don't know jack about trucks, or cars for that matter. I don't even have my license yet, in fact, but I want to take advantage of the A-plan whilst my eligibility remains. I simply can't do the things I plan on doing regularly with a car. I have some questions: are new F-150's reliable? Should I expect regular servicing and high maintenance costs? Can I use filtered cooking oil as fuel (as in that kit they sell), or is that for diesel vehicles only? Is it really worth going for 4x4? As stated I will be going on logging roads multiple times a year, as well as plowing snow and driving on ice. What about engines? Should I get something with a fancier engine, or is the stock engine for the base model adequate for someone like myself? Axle ratio, what the heck is that all about? Any advice/input is well appreciated. Thanks

Ross

Old 02-21-2009, 07:56 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,065 Likes on 4,165 Posts
Hey Ross...Welcome to FTE!!! I was just cruising around here and noticed your thread. It seems like no one else has seen it...there are no responses. Why not try posting in the 2009 F150 thread...you might have better luck in getting responses.

Good luck with your pursuit of a new truck!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 PM
spittle8
New User
Thanks man.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Well, based upon what you plan on doing a F150 would suit you just fine. But do get one with the 5.4 in it so that you can tow the yacht.

Fairly easy to maintain, just like a car except the 4x4 system. I did a whole career in the Army so if you plan on going into USMC then it would really come in handy.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:11 AM
doug217
New User
Ross, You will be one badazz marine with a new F-150!! How I envy you!! Thanks for deciding to serve our country.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree. The F150 is ideal for you. For what you want to do 4 wheel drive is a must. Forget about cooking oil that is only for diesels and if it was me, I would only consider using it in the pre `941/2 mechanical injected motors. The axle ratio is the amount of reduction gearing in the axles, this determins what speed the truck will go at for a particular engine revs. It can make a bit of a difference as to what MPG you get on the highway or how much grunt you have for pulling heavy loads.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
spittle8
New User
Thanks guys

I'm leaning more towards a used Ranger now due to the price, still not sure though. Might get a used F-150. At 18K a year an F-150 might be a bit steep for me, doable but it'd kill 1.5 years worth of pay. Anything to consider when looking for a used F-150 or Ranger? Would I be better off with the F-150 over the Ranger? Thanks again.