6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 rough start

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by msgtg
LOL...to fix the problem...plug it in overnight, or for a couple of hours before you start the truck.

Mine is an 03 with 85K on it now. I plug her in anytime the temps drop below 40 degrees. Stop and apply logic to this. When the temps drop that oil will get thicker (I use the Rotella 15w40) which puts a strain on your entire starting system as well as the motor parts. Around here it's not unusual to get down to 5 to 10 degrees. When I plug the truck in, it starts just like it was 80 degrees outside...fast start, no smoke, no knock/rough idle.

There have been times that I've had to leave the truck for a couple of days at the airport. When I've come back, of course the truck hasn't been plugged in and it takes much longer for the glow plug light to go out and when the truck starts....smoke, knock, rough idle....heck she sounds downright terrible! If anyone is around when I've had to start it like that I just know they think that I've blown it up.

BUT, as was mentioned above, once it runs for 3 or 4 minutes, she smooths right out. And yes, it only happens when it's been cold soaked. If you run it and start it 3 or 4 hours later, she'll start right up.

Save yourself an ulcer...plug the truck in. It'll also make your starter and batteries last a lot longer!

Joe
Let's for the moment say you are correct. Then why was it that I never had to plug in the truck for the first five years that I owned the truck?? I remember being in Cheyenne, Wyoming one November morning n 2004 and the tempp was -6*F when I went to start the truck after it had been sitting outside overnight. I did let the glow plugs heat up when I went to start it but I did not have the truck lugged in over night. It started right away. Today, I have the problem described in the first post up to about 65*F. Finding a way to address a symptom does not fix the problem. I want to know what the problem is so that I can fix it without throwing moeny away on un-needed new parts.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 PM
rnolloth
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texan2004
Let's for the moment say you are correct. Then why was it that I never had to plug in the truck for the first five years that I owned the truck?? I remember being in Cheyenne, Wyoming one November morning n 2004 and the tempp was -6*F when I went to start the truck after it had been sitting outside overnight. I did let the glow plugs heat up when I went to start it but I did not have the truck lugged in over night. It started right away. Today, I have the problem described in the first post up to about 65*F. Finding a way to address a symptom does not fix the problem. I want to know what the problem is so that I can fix it without throwing moeny away on un-needed new parts.
Thats the same way my truck was.But when it got bad my truck woukd ru bad when it was 70 outside.Unfortunately youll be replacing injectors as well.Let me know if you have any questions Ryan.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Sorry Pal, I obvously don't have the answer to your question.

Joe

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 AM
sethjamto
Senior User
Okay....so it sounds as though I may have an injector going out on me. First off, how do I know which ones are good or bad and how many I need?

Secondly, is this an easy swap out for me in the driveway or do I need to bring it in? Can someone walk me through changing out an injector?

Thanks for the link to the Pensacola diesel for the cheap injectors!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by sethjamto
Okay....so it sounds as though I may have an injector going out on me. First off, how do I know which ones are good or bad and how many I need?

Secondly, is this an easy swap out for me in the driveway or do I need to bring it in? Can someone walk me through changing out an injector?

Thanks for the link to the Pensacola diesel for the cheap injectors!
Some decent info in this link......

6.0L Powerstroke Injectors

Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Thanks for the link Mark, very helpful. This is what I was looking for. Looks to be a moderate P.I.T.A. to confirm the diagnosis but it is what it is I suppose. Thank you again.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
rnolloth
Senior User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the link Mark, very helpful. This is what I was looking for. Looks to be a moderate P.I.T.A. to confirm the diagnosis but it is what it is I suppose. Thank you again.
They were not as hard to do as i thought they were going to be.But im also a mechanic so it should be easier for me.If you have any question PM me and ill help you out.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:07 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Appreciate it Mark. May be a week or two before I can block out the time to do it.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
sethjamto
Senior User
Well, this morning it was about 25 degrees out. I cycled the ignition 3 times, waiting for the glow plug indicator to go out each time. After the 3rd time, I started the truck and she was smooth as silk with no rough idling or smoking.....does this mean that the injector(s) could be good and a possible bad glow plug?

...who knows.....

Old 03-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Jack B Duff
New User
F350 Hard Start

I to am having hard starts with my 04 F350. Took it to my dealer and was told it needed a FICM, $1400. Took it back to my shop and switched the FICM out of one of my 06's. Did not make any difference and the FICM from the o4 works fine in the 06. So it would appear not to be the problem. There was a string on this forum a couple years back that addressed this same problem. If you Google TSB 08-26-3, you will come up with a service bulletin from Ford that may help. This can be installed for free if you are still under warranty otherwise it will cost. I have to now go back to my dealer and argue that my FICM is not the problem. If you have any ideas let me know. Also, if you get this upgrade done, let us know the outcome

Also, I have 5 of these trucks. The 05, the 2 o6s and the 07, all start and drive without being plugged in at -20. The 04 F350 and 04 Chev with Cat engine need to be plugged in. Wouldn't it figure, the trucks under warranty start.

Jack

Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 PM
rnolloth
Senior User
There is a newer pcm flash from the dealer but it didnnt help mine.It did hurt the fuel mileage though.Sounds like injectors to me.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jack B Duff
I to am having hard starts with my 04 F350. Took it to my dealer and was told it needed a FICM, $1400. Took it back to my shop and switched the FICM out of one of my 06's. Did not make any difference and the FICM from the o4 works fine in the 06. So it would appear not to be the problem. There was a string on this forum a couple years back that addressed this same problem. If you Google TSB 08-26-3, you will come up with a service bulletin from Ford that may help. This can be installed for free if you are still under warranty otherwise it will cost. I have to now go back to my dealer and argue that my FICM is not the problem. If you have any ideas let me know. Also, if you get this upgrade done, let us know the outcome

Also, I have 5 of these trucks. The 05, the 2 o6s and the 07, all start and drive without being plugged in at -20. The 04 F350 and 04 Chev with Cat engine need to be plugged in. Wouldn't it figure, the trucks under warranty start.

Jack
This is good to know. You are very fortunate in that you have the ability to "parts change" for only the cost of your time. I am suspecting that what we all have is an injector or two that hangs up over the course of an extended downtime (overnight) but manages to get freed up after the trucks runs for a couple of minutes. The only folks here that seem to get the problem fixed are the ones that do injector change outs. I just wish that there was an quick and easy check for this and lit appears as though this is not the case.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:19 PM
rnolloth
Senior User
This is good to know. You are very fortunate in that you have the ability to "parts change" for only the cost of your time. I am suspecting that what we all have is an injector or two that hangs up over the course of an extended downtime (overnight) but manages to get freed up after the trucks runs for a couple of minutes. The only folks here that seem to get the problem fixed are the ones that do injector change outs. I just wish that there was an quick and easy check for this and lit appears as though this is not the case.
Hey guys if you can get someone to scan your truck (other than someone like Auto Zone) someone that can get the factory codes.If you can get them it will tell you which cylinders have a blance/ injector problem.Hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
FlyCanadianGuy
Senior User
I solved this problem. Just like Jack B mentioned it was $1426 for a new FICM (it hurts because im only 6000km out of warranty and the service rep even mentioned he sees ALOT of these come in and personally thinks they need to be recalled) and I will let you know tommorow morning if she wont start in the morning(no way am I plugging it in, I have started it at -30 celsius before without plugging in)

Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 AM
RogerKeyte
New User
I think the plug in is a red herring. I had those problems at 60 and 70 f

Quick Reply: 6.0 rough start