Aux. tranny cooler????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 06:41 PM
biglevi71
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux. tranny cooler????

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Nov-02 AT 07:42 PM (EST)]I just bought a 02 F150 4x4, 5.4L auto, 3.55 limited slip. It did not come with the class III towing package. I am going to put a reciever on it and I was wandering what else I need to add? The manager and salsman showed me where the tranny cooler was, but is there and upgrade or add on that I need? I have also seen refrence to a larger radiator, bigger shocks, and 72 amp battery. The truck does have the 6500 GVRW package and high altitude package as well. Please offer any insite. I cannot get an awnser from the deeler. Thank You, Levi

Old 11-08-2002, 06:57 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aux. tranny cooler????

What are you trying to tow?

If your truck is rated for 6,500 now, that will handle a lot of shorter(24foot and less) travel trailers and such. Follow the ratings inside your user manual and or the door sticker to know what your truck is rated to tow.

You want to pay attention to Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Axle Weight Rating front and back, and Gross Combined Weight Rating(your truck, all your stuff, and trailer, with full tanks etc)

Depending on how heavy a trailer you pull, I would recommend a good weight distributing hitch, maybe a trailer anit sway bar and defineitely good trailer brakes.

If your tranny cooler is about the size of a small three ring binder, you may already have sufficient cooling unless you tow in real heat.

I would not recommend passing any of the official rating even if you bandaid the truck with helper springs, coolers, airbags etc. There are many systems on the truck that affect the ratings and they are often difficult to change, like axles, trannies etc.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 11-08-2002, 08:37 PM
biglevi71
Senior User
Aux. tranny cooler????

Jim thanks for the info. I am just worried that the deeler did not know of give me correct info. The factory option makes it sound like my truck is lacking. 7000lbs is the max I will ever tow with this truck, probably not even that. Mostly this is a daily driver. I will be pulling a 19' car trailer (open) with B&B trees, skid stere, or just junk. I would say less than 5% of the time it will have a trailer. I am a big believer that cooler is better, and I just do not believe the deeler. This forum is a great idea and has been very helpful. Is there a way to tell if the existing trany cooler is the upgrade. It is about the size of a small three ring binder. It sits in front of the radiator on the passenger side, and I can see the lines going in and out of the tranny. Thanks for your info, Levi

Old 11-11-2002, 11:48 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Post Aux. tranny cooler????

What is the GCWR, not GVWR, from the owners manual? My gut feeling is that 7000 lbs is way too much trailer for that truck. With that engine, transmission and axle ratio, an 11,000 GCWR is probably close. An unladen wieght of about 4600, plus two people at 300, plus 200 for full gas is 5100. That leaves 5900 for everything else, including dogs, tools, junk in the back, and your trailer. If you tow locally, on level terrain, you may be able to get away with overloading it.

Jim

Old 11-11-2002, 01:27 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Aux. tranny cooler????

Depending on where you are, cooler is not always better. You can over cool a tranny with too big a cooler. If the fluid is too cold the tranny will be more sluggish and may delay shifts. The fluids may also not lubricate well enough if too cold. I would guess freezing and below does not need a huge cooler. Two tranny shops have told me not to go too wild on cooling. An I have read this in a couple car mags a few years back.

I would guess the tranny makers also have a program in the computer that tells it to delay shifting and or slip the torque converter clutch to warm things up. I am no expert and am guessing here based on my experience with 3 of my current vehicles. All three tend to delay locking the clutch when they are cold. Once they are warm(2-3 miles) they will shift like normal. But when they are cold(50 degree nights or colder) they will run upto about 2,500 or 3,000 RPM(guessing on figures, but definitely higher than when warm) before they will shift to OD.

Just my experience and guess work.

Jim Henderson

Old 11-17-2002, 06:41 PM
biglevi71
Senior User
Aux. tranny cooler????

I live in CO, up to 95 degrees in summer, down below freezing most of winter. I need to read through the specs of my truck, but I am still concerned that I need to add the super cooling, but I can't seem to figure out if I have it. What is the difference, if any between the stock auto tranny cooler and the super cooling?

Old 11-19-2002, 05:58 PM
biglevi71
Senior User
Aux. tranny cooler????

I will be towing a 19' car hauler, with either a John Deer 250 skid (not often at all), a 1600lb task master mini skid, or B&B trees. My dad and I own a tree nursery. I am planning on going to an F350 with the diesle for my next truck, but while I am living in the city, I would rather park the F150 at the mall. All the towing will be local, mostlt around town, with the ocasional trip to Colorado City from Colorado Springs. There are no serious hills, it is all on I25. I had my reciever hitch put on today along with trailer brakes. My dad runs 6 pin wiring on all his trailers so I had to have them wire that in. I bought this truck new and it did not come with the relays or pigtail for the trailer brakes. The trailer shop said that should have come with the truck, and that it is uaually in the glove box. Does anyone know if that is true. Thanks agian, Levi

02 F150 4x4 5.4 V8, 3.55 limited slip, sport.

Old 01-01-2003, 08:51 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Aux. tranny cooler????

Yeah, you shoudl have had a little bag in the glove box for the pigtail for the Electric brake controller and a relay for the backup lamps and one for the trailer aux power. The kit cost around $18 from the dealer. The relays aren't a huge loss if you aren't needing them, but the pigtail is nice to have. ALthough alot of trailer stores should have the pigtail to go into the truck.

Old 01-01-2003, 08:57 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Aux. tranny cooler????