6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

IS Rotella-T oil Bad for the 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Culvert
Just a quick question about oil here? I was talking with service Mgr this week aswell and dropped of Chevron Delo 400LE 5-40syn oil and they said I should stick with the Motorcraft oil. Only reason he mentioned was the heavier 15-40 oil is better for the pressure build up in the injectors. That 5-40 is to light of an oil??

Anyone have input on this?
One thing I've learned, and I have friends who are Service Managers for Ford, is they like to promote "Ford" parts 120% of the time. Depending on your region, 5w40 is perfectly fine. I run 15w40 here in Texas with temps reaching 100+, if we get a hot summer. I've had 0 problems with my engine including my injectors.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Mwachel
Senior User
Originally Posted by Culvert
Just a quick question about oil here? I was talking with service Mgr this week aswell and dropped of Chevron Delo 400LE 5-40syn oil and they said I should stick with the Motorcraft oil. Only reason he mentioned was the heavier 15-40 oil is better for the pressure build up in the injectors. That 5-40 is to light of an oil??

Anyone have input on this?
Go ask your tech why Ford has 5-40 Motorcraft Syn Diesel Oil if it is too light weight. Funny stuff right there!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Blaster7Romeo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was not told not to use Rotella because of lack of foaming agents, but because it would eat away at the injector O rings High presser oil o rings

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
i went to get my regular dose of rotella 15-40, and they did not have it.........so i got mobil delvac super 1300 15-40 oil.........does anyone run this oil????, it says it meets or exeeds all specifications for diesel engines, so i will give it a try..........

Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaster7Romeo
I have heard the exact same thing from 2 sepreit techs at 2 sepreit dealerships. one of the guys even told me ford put out a service bullitan about it.. although i did not make him tell me the #. i was told Delo was good as well

I asked the same question on here a mounth or so ago. most of the responses where. as much rotela is out there in 6.0 it would be a wider known problem.

But the way i see it is there is no reson TO run rottella when motorcraft is right next to it on the shelf for the same pirice or cheaper.

Excpet for the fact that the MC oil is a dyno and the Rotella is a full synthetic and you will get better protection with it..so I guess will still use the Rotella.

Sarge

Old 03-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I was not told not to use Rotella because of lack of foaming agents, but because it would eat away at the injector O rings High presser oil o rings
Anither myth that has been put to bed by the techs that work on these day in and day out.

Sarge

Old 03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Blaster7Romeo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Excpet for the fact that the MC oil is a dyno and the Rotella is a full synthetic and you will get better protection with it..so I guess will still use the Rotella.

Sarge
So are you saying all Rotella is full synthetic?

I am not defending the Techs i talked to I am just restating what i herd.. The first time i heard it i just blew it off but when i herd it from another Tech at a different dealership is when i gave it a little more credit.. But it all come back to where is this supposed Tech bulletin

Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not defending the Techs i talked to I am just restating what i herd.. The first time i heard it i just blew it off but when i herd it from another Tech at a different dealership is when i gave it a little more credit.. But it all come back to where is this supposed Tech bulletin
Rotella makes two kinds of diesel oil.

1) Rotella 15W-40 (dino oil)

2) Rotella-Syn 5W-40 (synthetic oil)

Both are available as the latest API oil rating of CJ4 for all makes and model years of diesel motors.

I personally use the 5W-40 synthetic year round with great results and buy it at Walmart. For what I can buy the Motorcraft oil filter and Rotella-Syn oil for (doing it myself) I can do it for less money and get synthetic oil than if the dealer would do it for me.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro

As BeachBum said, the 5w40 is a full syntheitc the 15w40 is not. I have never seen a bulletin on this and I dont think it exsits. I have searched an searched before switching and have never found it. Also the shop foreman who takes care of me has never heard of it either.

Sarge

Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 PM
dougc
Senior User
Originally Posted by origcharger
Internationals factory fill is Shell oil. There is a sticker on the firewall of our VT365 powered bus stating so and recommending the use of Shell Rimula or Shell Rotella oils.
Glad the read that--I asked the International counter guy about oil when I bought some filters--he suggested I use Shell Rotella in the 6.0 and asked if I wanted to buy some...that was good enough for me.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 AM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
When I bought my 05 SuperDuty my salesman took me around to see the different departments and the service manager suggested that whether I do it myself, have them do it or someone else, to either use the Motorcraft or the the Shell Rotella T oil only. Now I know the oil specs have changed to CJ-4 now, but still think that is the best way to go.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 AM
1957F100
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mwachel
Go ask your tech why Ford has 5-40 Motorcraft Syn Diesel Oil if it is too light weight. Funny stuff right there!
Motorcraft SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil is a high-performance light and heavy-duty diesel engine oil designed, engineered, and recommended by Ford Motor Company. It is particularly recommended for use in Ford vehicles equipped with Power Stroke engines.

Straight from the ford website

Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
....along with ANY other brand that meets the Ford spec.....

Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 1957F100
Motorcraft SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil is a high-performance light and heavy-duty diesel engine oil designed, engineered, and recommended by Ford Motor Company. It is particularly recommended for use in Ford vehicles equipped with Power Stroke engines.

Straight from the ford website
Since Ford does not refine their own motor oil, it is a pretty good bet that the Motorcraft oil is either Shell, Chevron, or Mobil. I don't know whcih one it is. My wife has the lube oil/operations background. If she doesn't know, I'm certain she can find out rather quickly. Ealrier in her career, she handled the gasoline blending for the initial fill fuel for Ford's Norfolk Truck plant. This was when we were both doing our stint at Amoco's Yorktown Refinery.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
Originally Posted by texan2004
Since Ford does not refine their own motor oil, it is a pretty good bet that the Motorcraft oil is either Shell, Chevron, or Mobil. I don't know whcih one it is. My wife has the lube oil/operations background. If she doesn't know, I'm certain she can find out rather quickly. Ealrier in her career, she handled the gasoline blending for the initial fill fuel for Ford's Norfolk Truck plant. This was when we were both doing our stint at Amoco's Yorktown Refinery.
please if u can, find out if motorcraft is shell, chevron or mobil oil..............i would really love to know..............

Quick Reply: IS Rotella-T oil Bad for the 6.0?