Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Freshman User

acw592 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Master Pro or Moog ball joints

Im getting ready to replace the upper and lower ball joints on my 00 F250 7.3L. Oreillys has moog and master pro ball joints. The master pro are $17.00 for the uppers and $30.00 for the lowers. The moog are $47.00 for the uppers and 72.00 for the lowers. I asked if there were any differance in the two parts. they said supposably the moog are a little better quality, but the warranty is the same for both. I thought about going with the moog to be sure, especially with all the weight of the 7.3, but that is a huge difference in price. I looked at both parts and couldnt tell any difference. I know people have used the moog. I was just wondering if anyone has used the master pro brand. I dont want to replace these again in 6 months. Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Postmaster

mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Research where each are made. Not a guarantee, but can be an indicator.
Cheap parts are made with cheap steel - that's why they're cheap! And cheap Chinese steel is notriously "unpure". High quality alloy steels are not cheap to make, so it costs more.
If they're both made in China, then it would be hard to swallow the $$$ difference. Moog has a long standing reputation and are an American company so they can be held liable for making crap. Both of those factors add cost. And prevent cutting corners.

And warranties on stuff like this is not an indicator of quality. Make 'em cruddy, let people return and replace them. How many are likely to return them more than once??? The vast majority of people will have learned their lesson by that time.
'99 F250 V10 Super Cab Long Bed 4x4. '06 short block, PI conversion, modded airbox, 5 Star custom tune, FM50BB, 315/75-16 GY Duratracs, mild lift, 4.30 LSD, Ride-Rite bags, on board air, Rancho RS9000 w/MyRide, under bed subwoofer, 160 amp Quick Start large case alternator
Why, yes, I am some kind of geek engineer. Thank you for asking.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
The cheap ones sound like a house brand. Odds are they are made by TRW (who make moog), but probably from lesser components. Of the two, I would stick with moog.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 03-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Posting Guru

MadMedic20 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ed.crawford.568@facebook.com
Master Pro is the inhouse Oreillys brand. Oreillys bought out CSK. If you have a CSK they may still have McQuay Norris is stock or may be able to order them. I work part time at a CSK and thought the McQuay Norris looked like a better part than either the Master Pro or Moog.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for the replies!
I also talked to a buddy who used to turn wrenches for ford. He said as long as they are both greasable then both would work fine. he said the main reason ball joints fail is the joint runs out of grease. Both are greasable, so I will probably research master pro some more.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior User

sonneborn3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Let us know what you find out, my ball joints are shot, too.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior User

motown is starting off with a positive reputation.
Their have been a fair amount of people on here that have had problems with Moog's. Problems like, premature wearing and binding, after installation.They may have a liftime warrenty, but with how much work it is to change these, it doesn't mean much. napa, which are Spicer, or McQuay Norris, would be better choices.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Freshman User

lfdf100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was a manger of an o'reilly store for 8 years. MOOG MOOG MOOG. Moog uses better steel in their product. The ball part of the joint and the socket both have reliefs in them to allow for better lubrication. In almost all of their aftermarket parts, especially ones where the stock part has problems, like the super duty ball joints, Moog redesigns the part and fixes the stock problems instead of just producing a part that will give you the same result as the stock part. These are called Problem Solver parts. In my experience this is a case that you get what you pay for. The Moog is a far superior part. I am going to have to replace the joints in my truck soon. When i do, MOOG, no question about it.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Freshman User

lfdf100 did you see a lot of the master pro brand fail or come back?

I did also just check with napa and they have the mrc brand which are made by dana. $25 for the uppers and $32 for the lowers.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Freshman User

lfdf100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What i saw in the master pro brand was just not a very beefy product. It seemed like what i did have come back was the fault of a weak built part with pot metal instead of good quality steel. Also there were some noticeable design differences between the moog and the master pro. Alot of times the Moog would be a greaseable joint where the master pro, and the stock, weren't. Moog does a very good job strengthening and improving after market parts over stock. I don't know about you, but i don't want to do this a second time. I will get the Moog.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Freshman User

No , I deffinately don't want to do this twice. I'm really not looking forward to doing it once!! I decided to wait a week or two so that I will have power in my garage and use some air tools.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Senior User

03shadow350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i saw that dynatrac has there own ball joints . not sure if they are on the market yet. i bet they will cost some $$$$$.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Senior User

XLnAK is starting off with a positive reputation.
Imo. Moog is the way to go. I have had their parts suggested many times, by full time front-end service techs, and have done the replacements myself. They've got a good rep here.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Elder User

dstig1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've had Moogs suggested many times before too...my latest exerience was not so good with them. 99 Exploder needed new upper and lower ball joints at 100k a couple years back. I figured, what the heck, I'll do the tie rod outers at the same time since they had to come off too to do the ball joints, and they were probably worn. I knowingly requested Moogs for everything at the CSK shop nearby and paid dearly for them. Within 2-3 years both tie rod end boots had torn due to the combination of cheap crap rubber they used and poor boot design that made them interfere with the brake splahs shield and so were internally trashed. I repalced them with McQuay Norris, which to me seemed a lot better quality. The Moog ball joints appear to still be holding up after 50k, but I was very disappointed with the tie rod ends. And the McQuay warranty was lifetime (I believe) while the "superior" Moog was only 1 yr. All greasable, and I grease regularly - used to be every other oil change until I found the first ripped boot, then I went to adding a little grease at each oil change to look everything over.

Not impressed with Moog, personally.

-Dave
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Junior User

daniele is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recently foolishly chose a Master Pro Upper Control Arm over Moog because of the price. Two months later I was replacing it with a Moog because the ball joint boot was already tearing. I am with the ones that pick Moog over Master Pro, but I guess any brand can have some lemons.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
auto, ball, difference, ford, forum, front, good, joint, joints, master, moog, oreilly, parts, pro, upper