Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

So... Heres a question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... Heres a question...

It isnt really work done one the truck as of yet. But at the same time it's work that one way or another Im going to do... So I feel that I cant post this on Truck work as of yet.

After reading an older issue of Petersen's 4 Wheel mag Ive come up with the idea of installing a locker. The article was about 4X4 building basics. And it was giving tips on building your truck either for Mud, Rocks, Sand, or Snow. it seems to lean towards the idea of installing some sort of locker. No matter what your building it for.
I was down at Mopac yesterday checking out there store. First Id like to say Wow. The store in Langley is huge.

Now Im kinda stumped. It would cost me roughly about $516 for a Lock Rite locker from them wich I really dint think was to bad.
Now Ive got the stock 7.5 and D28 in my BII. I have bought a lil while ago the 8.8 and a D35 and now its just sitting till summers over then I can start building that. Eventualy I want to go with 456 gears to turn some 33's. Thats the biggest that I want ta go.
So now Im wondering if I should find out just how much if any what the difference in price would be for a Lock Rite for my 8.8 or should I do the swap later as I planed. Or.. should I go with the 7.5 throw the locker in and be done with it. My plans for April are to change the BII leafs and coils for the Explorer leafs and coils. Now should I take the time and change the 7.5 over now. One of my ideas is that Im going to like I say change all the 8.8 and 35 over after trhis summer. Or should I beat the hell outa the 7.5 and 28 and after there dead then change em over. And that would give me time to build the 8.8 and 35.

Whats your guys input??

Old 03-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Flying_Dutchman
Posting Guru
I would suggest posting in the Offroad 4x4 section. Those guys are driveline experts. Personally I only know enough about the subject to understand what you are saying, not enough to know which steps would be better to take. On the other hand the sayings "do it right the first time" and "go big or go home" also come to mind.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
I kind of agree with you there Dutchman. By the look of the viewers this post had got and only one reply. I get the hint that no one else knows what the heck Im talking about either. So as soon as I got your reply which I do thank you for you opinion I asked over there.
Thanks mang

Old 03-14-2009, 01:38 AM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
Hmmn I had not read your post until just now. How much wheeling do you think you are going to do before the 8.8 is done? Do you wheel a lot? Do you have a limited slip or tracktion loc? If you have a open diff 7.5 and trip across a used lockrite,aussie locker etc snap it up and go nuts. If it a limited slip save your money for one for the 8.8 . Oh and start spraying the bolts for the springs and stuff with lube now. I will let you know how bad a 3.73 Tracktion Loc and 33 TrXus M/T 's being pushed by a 4.0 in a 2100 kg Ranger goes!

Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Flying_Dutchman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
I kind of agree with you there Dutchman. By the look of the viewers this post had got and only one reply. I get the hint that no one else knows what the heck Im talking about either. So as soon as I got your reply which I do thank you for you opinion I asked over there.
Thanks mang

NP, im glad i could be of service

Old 03-14-2009, 12:52 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd offer a suggestion but I just don't know enough about the subject to be helpful...

Old 03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
The pics in your album. Just outa curiosity is that taken out at the Safeway paking lot over by the by pass??

Old 03-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
Thats ok. Add your 2 cents in there Todd. Thats what Im looking for are ppls opinions.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
Well Kona? ( Andy? ) I plan on wheelin as much as I possibly can. Buddy of mine has a '78 Bronco full size and he wants us to start wheelin together. It be fun because right now usually if I go out I go alone. The 7.5 doesn't have any thing just open so thats why I was thinkin of addin a Lock Rite. And as for sprayin the bolts. Ill get right on that.
Thanks for the input.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
I personally can not afford to drop $500 on product I am going to stop using and has limited resale value BUT if you can justify it should make a huge difference in your performance off road. Just be aware you are going to have to get used to a few quirks in driving behavior.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
Yeah thats what they tell me man. Aint no big deal tho. Hell Im up to the task. What would you think the market might be like when it did come time to sell it again?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
The pics in your album. Just outa curiosity is that taken out at the Safeway paking lot over by the by pass??
Nope. I took those pics on Friday in Confederation Park in Burnaby. Just before I found out Solid Gold has a bad ticker.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:03 AM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
Not you there Todd I was referring to da Dutchman when I was askin bout da pic. It looks like either the Safeway over by the By-pass or the one at willow brook

Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Hallworth
Elder User
Arctic wolf 456 is a bit low for a set of 33's. I hope you don't plan on driving it on the road like that. on a auto 456 and 38's is about right. on a stick you can go a bit higher on the gears.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
Dats what I have. And aparently the lil 2.9 has a tough time turning 33,s I went to the gear ratio guide and as far as I can tell 456's will keep ya on da border of the REDandGreen