Sponsored by: DP Tuner

just did waterpump, coolant isn't cycling...only put in 4 gals

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
just did waterpump, coolant isn't cycling...only put in 4 gals

i finished my water pump earlier but just got home. I ran the truck for a good 30 mins, there was heat in the cab, but the coolant in the overflow tank never went down. I put in 2 gal of anti freeze and 2 gals of distilled water.

I only drained the radiator using the petcock during the waterpump install. AHHH!

I drove the truck about 25 miles home too.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 PM
ngng
Elder User
shieeet, I wonder if I forgot the correctly position the bleed valve on the thermostat?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 PM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by ngng
shieeet, I wonder if I forgot the correctly position the bleed valve on the thermostat?
nope, that's not it...

Question: Does it matter which way the thermostat is installed? Many manuals state the air bleed must be at the 12:00 postion.

Answer: That applies to thermostats mounted in the side of the engine. You want the air bleed to be at the highest postion to work. In the Powerstroke, the thermostat disc is horizontal, so the position of the air bleed does not matter.
--

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you just drain the radiator about 4 gal is all it will take to fill

Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by rbaker6336
if you just drain the radiator about 4 gal is all it will take to fill
well damn, I was all worried!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you mix red and green antifreeze? It looks like it in the first pic. If so, they are not compatiable, and will gel.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:18 PM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
did you mix red and green antifreeze? It looks like it in the first pic. If so, they are not compatiable, and will gel.
the overflow tank is stained green, but, I didn't draint he block...so I think there's more coolant in there

do I need to completely drain this tomorrow?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
I would if it was me...just to be on the safe side...drain the block and flush it then refill!

Whole system holds around 8 gallons I believe...

Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 PM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by triskit16
I would if it was me...just to be on the safe side...drain the block and flush it then refill!

Whole system holds around 8 gallons I believe...
shieeeet! what a waste of 30$ of coolant

Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 AM
orng1
Postmaster
I always drain it all block and radiator then run water through it as it runs to flush the block. Then put in coolant and water in, I don't know how people feel about this now that everything is so specific and precise. I just do it this way when I first get a car or truck for myself. Haven't had to do this for a while though.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 AM
triskit16
Postmaster
What are you putting in there thats only 30 dollars? Red coolant or green?! If its the green I could see that...if its red or ELC...even final charge will be around 40 or so bucks!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:11 AM
ngng
Elder User
should it be okay over night or for a few days? how should i flush this? just water?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:12 AM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by triskit16
What are you putting in there thats only 30 dollars? Red coolant or green?! If its the green I could see that...if its red or ELC...even final charge will be around 40 or so bucks!
I only used 2 gallons of fleet rite anti freeze and 2 gals of distilled water. i got it at napa

Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Bro, no offense, but do you really think you should be posting a "How To" thread regarding water pump R&R, thermo change, and coolant change when you don't even know not to mix red and green coolants, and you didn't back flush your block? Especially when there are many, many threads on this forum regarding coolant flushes, ELC's, water pump removals, and thermostat changes that would have taught you how to do this job the right way, the first time?

Like I said, not trying to be a jerk, but a man has got to know his limitations.

Stewart

Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 AM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Bro, no offense, but do you really think you should be posting a "How To" thread regarding water pump R&R, thermo change, and coolant change when you don't even know not to mix red and green coolants, and you didn't back flush your block? Especially when there are many, many threads on this forum regarding coolant flushes, ELC's, water pump removals, and thermostat changes that would have taught you how to do this job the right way, the first time?

Like I said, not trying to be a jerk, but a man has got to know his limitations.

Stewart
Nobody has to follow it, my truck is running and the procedure is correct. I don't work on American vehicles, there's only one type of coolant we use on Audis!

I've only seen a few ACTUAL resources on the water pump job, and I've read them all before I started. None of them mentioned anything about coolant, and none of them were 100% comprehensive. I don't see any problems with my how to, it may not be complete, but as an end user I'd take anything I read on the internet with a grain of salt anyways.

Quick Reply: just did waterpump, coolant isn't cycling...only put in 4 gals