1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Good Old Radio Days Are Here Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Good Old Radio Days Are Here Again

I've been trying to figure out how I could modify or replace my radio in order to get something other than AM station and still keep the stock appearance of the radio. Well I came across this on another web site. I think it pretty kool and seems pretty simple to hook-up.
Home of the RediRad car radio adapter.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by HD74
I've been trying to figure out how I could modify or replace my radio in order to get something other than AM station and still keep the stock appearance of the radio. Well I came across this on another web site. I think it pretty kool and seems pretty simple to hook-up.
Home of the RediRad car radio adapter.
Looks like a good alternative to the sites I am listing below for those that dont want to go that route. The sites range from Custom Auto sound radio replacements to AM/FM Stereo conversions on your vintage radio. Personally I was thinking bout just keeping the AM and find a local AM station playing old music. But I will have to look into that radio adapter if it works how I think it would I could burn the old 1958 radio show recording that I have from a local radio station and listen to that in the 56.

Antique Automobile Radio
Antique Automobile Radio, modern stereo for vintage cars

Antique Radio Service
Antique Radio Service Repair Fred Bassett KC1XF

Fred's Classic Auto Radios & Clocks
TUBES - Fred's Classic Auto Radios & Clocks

Gary Tayman's Collector Car Audio
http://www.taymanelectrical.com/

Norman's Classic Auto Radio
Classic Auto Radio Hidden Radio Secret Audio Vintage Parts Accessories Antique Automobile Car Audio Truck Street Rod

Wood Radios
Woodradios.com

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess that's OK if you want to listen to FM stereo and high quality CD's through a cheap tinny mono system and substandard single speaker.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 PM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by dave boley
I guess that's OK if you want to listen to FM stereo and high quality CD's through a cheap tinny mono system and substandard single speaker.
Ya, but I was thinking how kool it would be hear your Ipod through a tube radio and you could alway up grade your speaker. For a $150 it's one of the cheapest alternative out there and keeping things looking stock.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by HD74
Ya, but I was thinking how kool it would be hear your Ipod through a tube radio and you could alway up grade your speaker. For a $150 it's one of the cheapest alternative out there and keeping things looking stock.

It is cheap but when I asked Taymanelectrical at the time and I want to say it was around $180 to pull all the guts out of my 1963 AM radio put in modern AM/FM stereo guts and boost the wattage to 200 walts while retaining all the orignal mechanical push button features. He also said there are no added buttons or anything. To switch from FM to AM you turn the radio of and back on with the **** and it switches to AM. The left right and front rear balance is done by moving the station **** all the way to the left or right (left for left-right balance and right to enter the front-rear balance). Price miht be more now but I was going to have that done for my 63 and install new stereo speakers on the car. factory size one in the dash and add a factory sized one in the rear shelf.

the 56 though I just think I will keep it pure AM. Radio workd when it was parked and I canget solid state tubes to replace the old vacuum tubes. Would be cheap an easy

Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 AM
gearhead1952
Senior User
This looks like a cool product. They did a smart thing and offer it in 6v as well. Very cool. FM sound on a single speaker may not be high performance but then neither is my carbed flatty and solid front axle...I could go on here. I'm into old trucks because they are cool, I have a late model if I want to be pampered. I also like the look of old radios as they just look right in an old dash.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
learpilot
Senior User
While you guys are sitting at your computer if your want to hear some of your favorites tunes go to theRADIO.com and pick your favorite type to play in the background while you surf. Great oldies you don't hear any more.