Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

What did you do to your truck today..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The saga continues! Relocated a couple of sprinklers in the lawn, got them adjusted, and painted more fence. When it got dark I went out to the garage and have the trans tore down to the point of pulling the shift rails, gears, etc. out next. Time for bed

Old 07-15-2016, 08:26 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Impressive work!

I have never tackled an automatic transmission, helped put a couple of them in, is about the extent of what I have done.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:25 PM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Me either, glad this one is a manual. The only kind of Jeepie I'll buy anymore

Old 07-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
I removed the power steering belt from the IH after turning it around in the garage so that I can get to it. It sprayed oil everywhere on the driveway. I am going to start disassembling the system and start over with a new pump one of these days. It was a beautiful evening, and I had decided that I was going to get arm deep in disassembly. It was at that exact moment, my wife comes to the garage and says, "I rented a movie, we need to start it so we don't have to stay up late" And.... of course it was one I was hoping to see.
FYI Wiskey Tango Foxtrot, is not a comedy movie like I was expecting, (because of the actress involved) It was a glorified true story, or a rendition of a somewhat true story. Julie fell asleep, and I stayed up and watched it. It was pretty good, overall.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:08 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger

On my new project "Stranger" it's a cab from a 96 single cab ranger I'm going to make it an open front end roadster with an integrated roll bar and a false front firewall to hide the battery and master cylinder... the bed will be made similar to the stepside bed but only roughly 4 ft.... still have lots of planning to do

Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
took the girls for a ride through town on the Jeep, out to dinner and a few quick stops. I stopped to fuel up and had been hearing a noise in the steering mechanism, so had my wife turn the wheels back and forth while I investigated. I could see the drop pitman arm was twisting on the shaft. When I got home, I checked the tightness of the nut holding it on, and it was very loose I tightened it up, but the arm still pivoted on the shaft. I pulled the arm off, which included disassembling a bunch of other parts, and cleaned the splines, and threads. I reinstalled and tightened it up to the best of my ability. I guess if it comes loose again, I need to invest in a socket to fit that sized nut, and use my breaker bar to really force it tight. It seems good and solid now, but from now on, it's going to be one of those things I am going to have to keep an eye on.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
I bought my F150 with worn out tires, in fact they were down to the wear bars when I bought it, and I had offered a guy from work to buy his, because he was wanting some new ones. I figured, if I throw some money at his, it will help him afford new ones as well and it will help me out to get some more tread on the truck, that should last me for a year or so. I gave him till Aug 1 to decide what he was going to do, and even asked him a few times about it. He kept saying, yep, I need to do that. This weekend I was looking on Craigslist, and found some new take-offs for $350, which was less than half the cost of new ones I had been looking at. I took them in and had them mounted and balanced. That should get me through the rest of the mileage on the truck. They were 60,000 mile tires, and the truck has 171,000. I don't know if the truck will wear out first or the tires will, but honestly I hope the tires do!

Old 08-01-2016, 09:33 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Nice work!

I've been feeling the parts store pain recently. Bought a new camper, hooked up to the Denali and even with the load leveling hitch the air ride compressor was getting loud, rattling, and not shutting off while trying to keep the shocks aired up with the 7k lb. load out back. Read online that the stock compressors usually get weak and rattle right before they die, so bought a new one ($250, ouch) and put it on. Got a little quieter, aired up the shocks faster, but didn't fix it :|

Heard a hiss after installing the new compressor and found out one of the air shocks has a cracked air bag, priced out a pair of them for $450 :| , still need to order them and get them installed.

Bought a 12 ton shop press for the manual trans rebuild (yay!) and used it yesterday to press a bearing off the main trans shaft. Works like a champ, now to disassemble the rest and press off the remaining synchros. Then it's time to order a master rebuild kit for the trans ($300) and clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and internal slave assembly ($150). No wonder people get new vehicles, sometimes these older ones beat the snot out of a guy's pocketbook!

Old 08-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
I can relate, we had to spend nearly 1200.00 to fix the wife's car, then bought had issues with the truck, so that was about 175.00, then bought tires for the truck, 350.00, then dishwasher went out, 550.00.. The wife is getting a little cranky. I just figure its mostly just expected bills.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:21 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Curtis, they usually come in threes. It looks like you are over the limit or have started on a new three.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:57 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
For us it is medical expenses-- $1200 poke in the eye-- (with 2 more to go) and $312 dollars in ER so my daughter can fart like a howitzer at the doc. Then $439 for new glasses.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Its always something, Every time I get close to saving enough for something I have wanted for a while, something new breaks.....

Old 08-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Well I needed to move all the vehicles to get one to the shop and of course the battery was deeead on the exploder-- I left the cb on :-( wouldn't take a charge-- tried to warrantee it out -- but I bout it in 2009-- out of warrantee -- got a new omptima yellow top :-) its installed-- cleaned up the oil pan I got from the junkyard in Delphos-- 3 hours with various sanders- wire wheels-- hammers and such-- got it all nice mostly dent free and very shiny- put on a new coat of paint :-) Pretty 500drg blue :-) Got a new gasket and I am going to try and swap it out this week. The drain pluyg is in a different location so I do not think the crossmember will be a problem!! :-)

Old 08-07-2016, 08:43 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
That's good news about the drain plug. Will you be able to pull the pan without removing the engine?

Old 08-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
60% chance I can??????????????

Quick Reply: What did you do to your truck today..