Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

What did you do to your truck today..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:49 PM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Woke up by my girlfriend this morning who promptly told me she came down with the flu around 4am. Spend the day playin "Mr. mom". When I got a break, I`d play battlefield 1942 on the puter. I did take inventory of what I need to get the bronco rolling reliably. 1. headgasket set. 2. carb kit. 3. headergaskets and bolts 4. a new ignition coil that`ll work with duraspark. Now, I`m just waiting for my turn to "enjoy" the flu bug. Yay me..

Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 PM
74 bronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I changed fuel pump, fuel filters, fulled up up with fuel, and changed the oil in madmax the other night. To get ready for the sand dunes the 23 of april. Then got a buddy bronco fired up today just need to finish the little things up fix a couple leaks.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
received the axle for my EEP, but am rethinking putting the same U joints back in, thinking I might get a refund on them and buy the Spicer ones instead... What do you guys think?

What is the best affordable U joints out there? I want something that is going to hold up to the abuse.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:07 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Pends on what you think is affordable. Spicers can be some serious $$$'s. Like when you replace front axle and both driveshaft joints. Spicers are stronger than other house brands and worth the $$$'s I think. The good house brand do have waranity but whats a free $10 joint against the cost new axle shafts or drive shaft when it lets go.

Now if it were a street driven heepie I would say use the house brand. But the way you wheel it I would get the Spicers.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:38 AM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
If it were me, spicers are the only way to go.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Spice girls!! I mean spicers. They also have a life warrenty.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
Just bought a coil off of ebay for the bronco. Waiting for the snow so I can go play till it overheats! lol..

Old 03-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
I ordered some spicer u joints from my favorite parts guy, Clint!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
I helped I helped.. I mean I will help :-)

I scraped windows on the van 4 times, my exploder twice, and Carolyn's escape once.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 AM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
Unlocked the hubs cause we didn`t get any snow...

Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
Woot! Bought a new heater core, new wheel stud (broke one) and ordered a headgasket set, which should be in monday. I love the smell of progress in the morning!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
not anything on the truck, but I did replace the water pump on the Taurus today, then replaced the front valve cover gasket, then drained and refilled the antifreeze, then drained and refilled the power steering pump. I then got to take it for a test drive. It would spit/backfire and sputter, the engine would shake like there was really something wrong, then the check engine light would come on. I was in a little bit of an emergency, so I pulled over, checked the engine over for anything that I was missing, or may have messed up. The engine took of and started idling perfect, just like a sewing machine, and when I got back into the car, the check engine light was not on.
I went ahead and drove it to the location where a buddie's car had died (where I was heading at the time it started acting up) When I turned around to get to the other side of the road, it started acting up again and the check engine light came on again. I shut it off behind the other stalled vehicle, and when we were done, I started it back up again, it spit and sputtered a few times, but as I got closer to town it got better.
I followed my buddy into Autozone and they said that it was cylinder #1 misfiring, I figured since I was running the tank really low, that I might have been pulling water off the bottom of the gas tank. I picked up a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner and two bottles of HEET. I put them in and put in a full tank of gas. I didn't have any more problems the rest of the way home, but I had problems once I started heading out to Justin's house. I helped Justin fix his steering column, and put it back together, then I headed home. It stumbled several times on the way home. I then checked spark plug wires, and vaccuum lines, and took it for another drive, I drove out to I-70 and back, and it never did spit,sputter, or backfire, it ran like a champ and the check engine light stayed off. Guessing my theory about water in the fuel might have been right. At least I am hoping.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:15 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Might be dirt or garbage in the tank was sucked up. Have you changed the fuel filter?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Yep, changed it last weekend. It was likely the original one as it was motorcraft.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:02 AM
JByb04
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technically I haven't done anything to my truck today. But yesterday I was busy digging it out of snow drifts.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your truck today..