Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

What did you do to your truck today..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Sorry to Hijack the post Swede..

Ok, another question.... this motor has likely sat for a couple years without running. I would like to see if it runs, and what kind of condition it is currently in. Should I pull it apart first, or just give it the old college try and try to start it and see whats left of it?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
If it is free and will turn over, then I think I would do the oil pressure prime and try to get it to run. If it is stuck, then you may or may not have bigger problems.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There is no way to tell. If it has oil in the pan I would drain it and look at that. Then pull the valve covers and look for rust or water. Then if that looks good pull the plugs and squirt oil in the cylinders. I'd put the plugs back in (just start them to keep stuff out) set the valve covers back on it and let it set a while and then repeat with the oil. Then put new oil in the pan. Pre oil with the drill. Pull the plugs and try to turn it over by hand. Run it through several cycles and look for stuck valves/lifters/broken cam. Now you could still have a broken/bad ring so a compression test would be needed, and would also check for a bad valve or head gasket. If all that is good you could go ahead and gamble. Still no real way to check lifters/cam without a dial indicator. You could pull the pan and check the rod and main bearings. Every check would give you more info and it would be up to you to decide.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Thomasm67
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately all i have been able to do at my truck is look at it when i'm in Salem.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Thomas is alive!!!

I looked at the Escape's rear wiper last night. It needs a new motor. more $$$$$

Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I'm thinking about cleaning the windows on Green.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 AM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Went outside this morning and looked at the slowly growing puddle of tranny fluid thats under the bronco. Guess the pan just doesn`t want to seal...

Old 03-21-2009, 08:50 AM
husker
Hotshot
Swede, I've got one of those puddles under the 54 too. I think mine is from a leaky O ring around one of the linkage shafts. Maybe we could have a transmission leak fix it day.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 AM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
I am generally pretty good at fixing leaks.. a buddy of mine says that if you have an oil leak on your jeep, then you know its got oil in it and it is ok, but mine currently has no oil leaks, so it doesn't mark it territory like others do. However I can't get the Aviator or the Taurus to quit leaking, so there goes that theory.
My IH engine used to leak, but I put a new gasket set in it, and now its dry and clean.

What I did to my truck today:
Well I may have spoken for some doors on my EEP to make half doors, or use for replacements for the ones I currently have depending on what kind of shape they are in.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM
husker
Hotshot
Put diesel in the Super Duty and it is a first in a long time. Diesel was a nickel a gallon cheaper than regular gas. $1.94 compared to $1.99.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Swede How do you keep the seal from squirming when you put it in the oil pan? Where did you get one in Kansas anyhoo :-)

Well I am going out to change battery cable ends :-) Let's see how that goes.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:51 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Ken has a C-5 in his BII. The problem I have had is that just about all pan gaskets come folded in a box these days. I really like the old ones that were flat on cardboard. I clean the pan with brake parts cleaner and wipe dry. The holes in the gasket should be undersize (at least some of them). I start the pan bolts through the hols in the pan in the undersize gasket holes. Then wipe the underside of the tranny. I use a clean rag sprayed with brake parts cleaner. Then before oil runs down on the gasket surface push the pan up in place. Screw in the pan bolts without letting the pan come away from the tranny.

I'm still thinking real hard about washing the windows on Green.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Didn't change the cable ends--- slight problem... so I cleaned the garage some more :-) 4 hours of straightening - it really feels good... (but not my back)

Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Rode the motorcycle today, was good, didn't do anything on the truck, but did buy a fuel filter for the Taurus, and priced a water pump for it. water pump is 29.88, and looks easy to replace.

Flip.. you mentioned your bro had water pump problems, and had expensive repairs.. something about having to pull the timing cover?
Today I looked further into it and thought that maybe his car has the Higher output motor? possibly the dual overhead cam? or Flex Fuel motor?
in looking at mine, at least from first glance, it doesn't look much harder to replace than the one in my Jeep, other than the constriction on space to work with.
Please let me know.

Oh Bourbonator?? where you is?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your truck today..