2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Herculiner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:00 AM
canstacker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I've had the Herculiner in my truck for 3 yrs and it looks great. I have a tonneau so it never gets alot of sun. You need to spend the time on prep. Get a lot of those brillo pads, the one in the kit isn't enough. Used an extra quart for my 5.5 bed and the UV top coat. You'll also need some solvent, can't remember which I think its Xline? It tells you in the instructions, get it at a paint store. Find some shade and a few days, let dry good between coats. Don't paint it on, keep the coats even. Be sure to tape off and mask everything you don't want Heculined. It is alot of hands on work, about half way you'll be thinking 'man should have payed someone to do this' but if your like me you'll take pride in do it yourself.
I have not had any real issues with it flaking or cracking. It's held up to alot of abuse.
Good luck and have fun!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:20 AM
roushcm
Senior User
If you are worried about your carbides tearing it up, just build a little platform. I can fit my ramp underneath it and the carbides never touch the truck. I should of made one sooner so my tailgate wouldnt be all beat up. I had a carbide that wore down and stuck underneath one of the seams and pretty much tore the panel on the tailgate off. I put some cheap ski guides on the platform and now its so easy to load and unload my sled. I made an area between the skis to hold my oil and tool box to use the wasted space. Just a thought for ya. the only problem is storing the platform when you dont need it.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Ya I plan on doing alot of prep. I got alot of scotch brites. I got them from work. I also got a gallon of bestine which is a thinner and solvent and I also got some Alcohol. So that should clean it good. I went to get it today but the price went up 10 bucks no big deal but its cold as hell so I figured I will wait another week or two and do it. Cant wait

Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 AM
18wheelin
Junior User
I went on Herculiner Truck Bed Liners and have read the instructions and watch some of the videos on the site. Appears to be a good product if you take the time to prep the box properly. It is also repairable should you happen to chip it. I am going to try it in my 08. Sure beats $500 for LineX or Rhinolinings.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 AM
bherbert28
Freshman User
If I were you I would just fork over the extra cash to have your bed line-x'd. It has a great warranty and I love mine. Plus it will save all the aggravation of D.I.Y.! If it ever gets cut or peels, just take it back in and they will repair it for free. Mine only cost $400.00

Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Well thats the way I looked at it. But I have heard if you prep it right and through on an extra coat or two it works just as good. I found a deal on amazon.com for the DIY kit with an extra quart of liner and UV protecter for 120. That would give me 4 coats. And at that if it does come up in a spot or gets cut I can touch it up and it still would be cheaper then the line-x. Line-x or Rhino line is what I want but it all comes down to the money. I can do alot of touching up for 400 plus I dont use the bed awhole lot just everyonce in a while. DIY wont bother me to much.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM
bherbert28
Freshman User
sounds good. I didn't have the equipment, or the time to do it myself so the DIY route wasn't an option for me. Good luck with it, when you get it done post some pics.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 AM
ALJR
Junior User
For what its worth...

Linex and Rhino use a high pressure application (or at least the good shops do). The coating of the Rhino is like hard plastic, not rubbery like the DIY kits. The Rhino I have is very think, 2-3/16 on the walls and thicker on the floor. They also offer a lifetime warranty. You get what you pay for (quality)!

I have seen quite a few of the DIY applications and they all look like popo (sorry, don't want to offend any who have it)... The coating is very thin, the texture is poor and about 2/3 of the ones I have seen were comming up. True, prep has allot to do with its adhearson; but the bare metal I did see under WAS scuffed... I do not care how good the prep is, it will come up allot easier than a high-pressure spray in...

The ONLY instance I could see using the DIY stuff is if I were selling the truck and the bed looked like cr@p.

I know I am going to get allot of heat for this post, but I have a saying on my business card (and NO, I am not in the spray-in business)...

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

For what its worth, my Rhino spray-in (high pressure spray) is one of my favorit things I have dun to my truck...

Old 03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
I thought I would throw in a few comments.

You can go to Wallymart and buy a few cans of Krylon spray paint and paint your entire truck with it and for some people, they are happy with that. And, who are we to say that it's not OK for those folks. But, realize that some people would NEVER spray paint their truck with Krylon spray paint.

The do-it-yourself bedliner products like Herculiner, Duplicolor, Durabak, etc. are the Krylons of bedliners. They are no where near the durability of professional bedliner products nor to they look as nice as high pressure professional bedliners, but then who are we to say it's not right for some folks.

If you decide to get Herculiner, keep in mind that according to their MSDS, the product is 72% solids and 28% solvents (that evporates away). That means that for every gallon of Herc, you are only getting about 3/4 of a gallon of actual bedliner. LINE-X dealers spray about 4.5 gallons of 100% solids. So, to get the equivalent of Herc, you will need to buy about 6 gallons of Herc.

To apply Herc, you will also need sandpaper, masking tape, masking paper, acetone, gloves, etc., and a few days. Of course, there is no warranty. The alternative is LINE-X which takes about three hours and then you get a lifetime warranty that's valid nationwide.

Herculiner:

LINE-X:

Old 03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
ALJR
Junior User
Talk about night and day^
How much are you truly saving by doing it yourself!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
From what I heard about 300 bucks or so. I have been hearing the linex and rhino liner is 400-500. Thats what I want but for that kinda money its rediculous. For 120 bucks I can do the Herculiner. Im still waiting for the weather to change and get warmer to do it. Im still for the herculiner cause its cheaper and not always throwing stuff in the truck bed so I think it will be fine. My buddy has the herc on his light bar which gets abused all the time and hasnt even started to chip. I think Im going to wait a month and do it.