Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 PM
New User

andy wick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exhaust Manifold Leak? 460

Just Wondering?

We are traveling in the family motor home on 1500 mile trip to the west.
We have discovered an exhaust leak midway in trip. Leak is for sure in exhaust manifold. Mechanic before trip replaced broken bolt on manifold. 500 miles into trip manifold begins leaking again... What possible engine damage could occur? Do we need to fix ASAP or can we limp her home????
Thanks,
Skiing in Streamboat, Co.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:43 AM
Elder User

Dirt racer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't think it will hurt anything, as long as the exhaust isn't blowing on somthing flamable. Just might be a little louder though.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Posting Guru

capn kirk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
always happens with the 460s just make sure all the manifold bolts are tight and try not to let the sound drive you nuts
3.73 limited slip frnt/rear, 35x12.50 BFG All-Terrain, 4" Skyjacker, 3" body lift, hedman headers 3" single-back turndown before rear axle, K&N Air Filter,rebuilt trans, deep trans pan, Warn manual hubs
Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Posting Guru

fasthauler is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think everybody is right. The darn 460’s leak a lot. The old school used to think cold air could rush up the leak and warp the valve, but if you have ever ported on of these heads you would realize that it is probably a bunch of bunk. That cold air has got to get past a lot of hot metal before it can reach that valve and that air is probably going to be pretty hot when it gets there. Dirt racer is probably right to just make sure the exhaust isn’t getting near any combustibles. The only other problem that could arise is the leaking hot gasses could etch out the head or manifold surfaces requiring the surfaces to be milled. But it would take a lot of miles for this to happen. Just put up with the noise and get it fixed when you get home and good luck on your trip.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Senior User

hotrodmerc is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you do get it home the best way to fix the problem is to remove manifold and gasket, clean bolts and holes, make sure manifold sealing surface is flat, Reinstall with NO gasket and use Permatex ultra copper for the gasket. The problem is that the gaskets leak and burn out. The Ultra Copper has cured my leak.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Senior User

C-Leigh Racing is starting off with a positive reputation.
OR, better yet, get a set of pre-cut copper exhaust gaskets that wont deterate while the M/H is sitting for long spells like the old fiber & tin gaskets do.

Those exhaust manifold bolts realy should have been checked for tightness after the first good hot run time.
Neil
Old 03-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Posting Guru

fasthauler is starting off with a positive reputation.
I got tired of breaking off manifold bolts and having to blow the broken bolts out so I use the copper anti-seize on my bolts. The only problem is that the have to be retorqued every month or so to keep the darn things from coming loose and falling out. I tried a lock washer on a couple of bolts the last time I re-torqued them. I am going to keep a close watch on them and see if it helps. My truck doesn’t have factory air so re-torquing them is an easy task. I imagine it would be a real bitch to do on a motorhome.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 AM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
I used stainless bolts and nickel based anti-seize.
Hardened washers under the heads and smashed the threads a little to keep them from loosening.
At the very least there should be enough left of the head to put a wrench on if I ever have to remove them again.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/donjamer/FTE%20Pics/blumax500-1-1.jpgFTE Fraternity of Blue Max
Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 AM
New User

pdukey is starting off with a positive reputation.
may be a little late and no help with the immediate situation. my MH has had the leak in the rear bolt passenger side since I bought it "new" in 2000. It is a '94 with 80k so far so good. Small leak that quiets once warm. hope the trip went well planning same trip as kids spring break is in March next year.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)

Tags
370, 460, bolts, coming, cu, exaust, exhaust, ford, gasket, gaskets, leak, leaking, loose, manifold, motorhome