1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Volare install templates

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Scotts55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volare install templates

Hi Everyone,
Just gathering up parts and info for a Volare install for my 54 F100. My question is does anyone still make the templates for this install that John mentioned in his tech article? If so who has them and what's the cost?
Thanks,
Scott

Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 AM
thomc
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
Let me know your mailing adress and I will send you a copy of the patterns I used when I installed the volare ifs in my 56.Someone gave the pattern to me several years ago at the F100 run at the Grand in Pigeon Forge Tn. I have used them 4 times myself and given copies to others several times. I will make copies on thin paper that can be folded to mail.You will probably want to transfer onto stiffer material to mark your frame. I have been planing to transfer it to thin sheet-metal eventually. I recommend that you cut "inside" the marks and grind the frame to fit the volare crossmember.Also , check the height at which most 53-56s ride with the volare to be sure you are satisfied with the height.While the volare is adjustable up and down by turning a big bolt on each side,if you go more than an inch ,at most, up or down from stock the ride and handling suffer greatly.If I use a volare again , I will consider lowering the pattern on the frame, which would raise the front of the truck.Happy motoring to you & yourn.Thom

Old 03-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Scotts55
New User
Thank you very much for offering to send the templates Thom. Since I'm building this truck on a tight budget every dollar saved means a lot. Check your messages for my address and thanks again.
Scott

Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 AM
bcclick
New User
Any possiblity of getting a copy of these templates for myself? Or how about putting a copy of them up on the forum someplace?
Bill Click
3613 Jeffrey Drive
Modesto, CA. 95357

Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Scotts55
New User
Hey Bill - I never did get a copy of the templates. It would be nice if somebody would put them on one of the tech forums.
Scott

Old 05-25-2009, 10:17 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotts55
Hey Bill - I never did get a copy of the templates. It would be nice if somebody would put them on one of the tech forums.
Scott
these are not 8.5x11 pieces of paper.. more like c sized drawings.
cost me 2 bucks a page (3 pages) to copy and 5 bucks postage to send the last set.

As these templates were 'sold' to someone, it is unethical to post them free to all, and I don't have a scanner that can scan that big a document anyhow.

Sam

Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Scotts55
New User
Hey Sam,
That's cool if you don't want to send any out to fellow members. I had read a few previous post where some members were generous enough to offer copies so that's why I put out the call for a set. I had 2 responses and offered to pay all costs to send them but unfortunately I never did recieve any. As stated in my 2nd post on this thread I'm on a tight budget so I'm just looking to save a few bucks.
Scott

Old 05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Scotts55
Hey Sam,
That's cool if you don't want to send any out to fellow members. I had read a few previous post where some members were generous enough to offer copies so that's why I put out the call for a set. I had 2 responses and offered to pay all costs to send them but unfortunately I never did recieve any. As stated in my 2nd post on this thread I'm on a tight budget so I'm just looking to save a few bucks.
Scott
I am willing to send copies of templates for the expense cost. I've already done the free copies. (and my wife thinks the budget isn't for free to others).
I don't think its fair to 'expect' anyone to do this gratis (which was the tone I detected, altho it may have been incorrect).

and it takes me time to get to the copier to get this done. I will be gone the next three weeks..

Sam

Old 05-26-2009, 03:47 PM
thomc
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
Actually, the patterns I have were probably not "store-bought" patterns. The gentleman who gave them to me several years ago and I talked about an article in a truck magazine showing making your own patterns from wire, like long gas-welding rod and transferring it to the frame. I think he had already done so.I lost his name and number a long time ago, but if I remember correctly he had a yellow 54 truck and was from South Carolina. I have used the patterns on four 56 trucks so far and loaned them out a couple of times.I will copy the pattern onto something like the paper a brown grocery bag is made from.Maybe if I copy and send them to one person at no charge that person could do the same and pass them on to someone else , like a chain letter. I will get one in the mail tomorrow or the next day.

About the patterns...They use existing holes in the frame to locate in the correct location. I believe it is a steering box bolt hole at the rear , which 53-56 F100's have on both sides , by the way. The front uses a hole left when the front spring shackle is removed , I think. It will be obvious when you hold the pattern up to the frame, I hope.There is some trimming of the back of the front crossmember required also , which you will see when cutting the frame rails.I try to cut very close by the pattern the do some grinding for a tight fit for welding.I have let several people drive my 56 while I rode " shotgun". All have been impressed with the ride and handling.I may do the same at the up-coming event in Pigeon Forge.Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I got mine as a gift from an FTE member 10 yrs ago, and I have sent out 3 copies as gifts.. (aka, pass it on, like a chain letter.. but you can't do this forever..).. these are copies of purchased templates.

I used a cutoff wheel to cut the chassis, and grinder to clean it up.

here is the article John Niolon did, updated with my pictures using the templates.
NOTES ON A VOLARE FRONT CLIP INSTALL ON A
Sam

Old 05-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Scotts55
New User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I am willing to send copies of templates for the expense cost. I've already done the free copies. (and my wife thinks the budget isn't for free to others).
I don't think its fair to 'expect' anyone to do this gratis (which was the tone I detected, altho it may have been incorrect).

and it takes me time to get to the copier to get this done. I will be gone the next three weeks..

Sam
Thanks for the offer Sam but I'll take Thom up on his original offer. I never expected anyone to do this for free. As stated in my original post, "who has them and how much". Thom was kind enough to offer up a set and I fully intend to compensate him for his time and cost. Anyway thanks for the offer Sam and by the way nice truck.
Scott