1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E350 van divider

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
yOU
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 van divider

I have an E350 4x4 on the way, and want to get as much of the finishing work ready to go before I receive it, so I can get it onto the pavement as quickly as possible.

The van is currently a cargo van, and I'm having a second row bench seat added to turn it into a crew style van (i just posted a topic re: seating), and in this topic, I'm asking for advice re: a divider to go behind that 2nd row bench seat. I have several items on the wishlist here for purpose, and I realize I will need to compromise a bit, but would like to hit as many of the following as possible:
  • Divide the cabin, so the front hvac doesn't need to cover the cargo area behind the second row bench.
  • Provide security to the cabin in the event of an accident -- duffel bags, spare tires, etc flying through the area.
  • Provide theft-resistance to items stored in the back area (I plan to either disconnect the rear doors entirely from the electric locking system, or if possible, make it so that the electric system can lock but not unlock the rear doors).
  • If possible, it would be nice if the divider could be moved forward in the event that I have no passengers and the rear seat is removed. This could be either a sliding setup, or a setup where it takes 15 someodd minutes to unbolt from one set of holes and add to another.
  • Provide visibility through the rear view mirror out the back of the van. (many "thermal divider" curtains are intended to be right behind the driver's seat, so the transparent part is very small and would be useless when mounted 4+ feet behind the driver).
Okay, so I've considered a few things for the divider:

1. My first thought was to install a mesh security cage and a separate clear curtain. This is probably least desirable in appearance and functionality.
  2. One other option is to get a half-screen (covers the top half of the van, and open on the bottom); and add a separate curtain. While the curtain will be difficult to make it look nice, it has the advantage that if I move the bench forward, at least the bottom half of the cargo area is extended...enough so that a motorcycle wheel can fit through. Downside is that the back of the chair isn't extremely sturdy, and things in the cargo area may end up poking the back of the bench and being uncomfortable for the passengers
  3. I found some police van partitions, intended to be put behind the driver and passengers...these have the advantage that they are a full screen, and solidly covered so that they will block airflow. Example: Setina 10VS Partition Screen SUV Van Truck Cage Barrier Police Equipment
So, what do people thing for the van divider? Any options I'm overlooking? Or any advice with the above? (I'm torn between option 2 and 3 above).

--brian

Old 03-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Texas Mad Man
Junior User
Brian:

I think you are wanting this divider or "bulkheard" to do more than it can do. If you want it for protection againt cargo sliding forward, you probably will have to do an install that will not allow the divider to move forward and back.

I bought mine from this company and it is very heavy duty. The price was also the best I had found.

Search results for "bulkhead" | Power Tools| Power Tools Store Toolup.com

I went with the solid bulkhead as it provides the safety I needed as well as keeping my expensive gear hard to get for thieves. I disconected the side and back door power locks so that a key has to be used to get in. I wanted to help with the heating and cooling up front as you have mentioned, but I think you will find that it helps only somewhat. To help seal things off better, I used round pipe insulation around the edges of the screen to seal things better and it has worked well.

Hope this advise helps you.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM
yOU
New User
Originally Posted by Texas Mad Man
Search results for "bulkhead" | Power Tools| Power Tools Store Toolup.com
Ooh, I like those ones at a glance. Thanks, I hadn't found that site. The one I'd be looking at would be the one with the clear window...does yours rattle/make much/any noise? I'm trying to keep this project as rattle-free as possible, and won't be carrying noisy cargo in the back either.

My needs are a bit more simple...the value of the items inside isn't all too high...camping gear, skis, backpacks, etc...the damage by someone breaking in/attempting to break in would surely be higher. As for heavy items, the only really heavy things in the back will be a pair of spare tires which will be firmly mounted to the sides of the van. Most other items will be camping or sports supplies, being stored in duffel bags when possible, and not particularly heavy/expensive tools/materials.

I agree that a movable barrier may be a tall order...I'll have to ponder exactly how big to make the cargo area then, I had been hoping to have the flexibility of changing the cargo volume of the van easily depending on whether I have or don't have passengers.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Texas Mad Man
Junior User
Brian:

The Weathergard bulkheads are some of the best and the link I provided has the best prices I found. I can tell you the shipping to a home will be about 3 times higher than if you ship it to a business.

Rattles? Nope, not any, but I also installed about 3 extra brackets that I fabricated to bolt this item in. After installation, I cut some 1/2 inch plywood to take it up closer to the roof and then installed the pipe insulation I mentioned. Since I have the solid unit, it does help with the heating & cooling.

Any more questions, just ask.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 AM
yOU
New User
Heh, looks like the europe (where I'm not) versions of the transit connect (which I don't have/want) have perhaps about the perfect feature for me -- a movable bulkhead to allow the van to quickly convert between crew cab and cargo van...oh well
Movable Bulkhead Adds Flexibility To Ford Transit Connect Crew Van

Old 03-20-2009, 06:19 PM
yOU
New User
Found this, which is what I think will work out for now...if I can just find one .
Ford Partitions

Old 07-22-2009, 07:43 AM
lost_in_space
Junior User
I doubt you still need help with this but I have exactully the setup you speak of in my quigley 4x4 van. I could show you pictures if you wish.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
If you wanted a movable barrier, maybe an e-track set up would be in order? Have dual tracks on the floor and ceiling.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:19 PM
jakblk
New User
hi - i am visitor here.
i have an 2005-e250 that is factory crew that i am converting into a camper van.
it has quick release bench seat with 3 quick release seat belts. also has cargo cage with quick release.
i live in s.w. florida if you are close maybe we can do something.
jakblk-