body repair question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 07:18 PM
desperado
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body repair question

Hi

I have an old 86 f150 wich i would like to fix up a bit, it has lots of rust and quite a few holes, espicially in the wheel wells, my question is.. can i use fiberglass (sheets) to fix up the holes ? then i plan on painting it completely myself, would i need special paint because of the fiberglass ?

i'm not after a high quality job, just something that will last a couple of years, will i be ok ?

thanks !

Old 04-03-2001, 09:31 AM
fatforty
Posting Guru
body repair question

Desperado, you can cover the holes with fiber glass if all you want to do is cover them. The fiber glass will not be as strong or durable as if you patched it with metal but it can look nice. John

Old 04-04-2001, 01:01 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
body repair question

I would suggest Por15 with the fiberglass. I used it on the floor boards and it worked out well. I'd clean the area with a wire brush then apply a coat of Por15 the add the fiberglass mat to cover the holes then add more Por15 to embed the fiberglass mat.

You don't need special paint for fiberglass, simple single stage stuff will do. I got 2 gal PPG epoxy primer and 2 gal of paint for about $250, Napa sells paint pretty cheap too.

Old 04-09-2001, 06:44 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
body repair question