1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

"07" Crown Vic Conversion in a 1959 s/b

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Jokerman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"07" Crown Vic Conversion in a 1959 s/b

Hi,New to this site,just wondering if anybody has done this conv. with a 4.6? Have a 1959 short box would like to put front susp.& motor in it...Thanks for any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I've started researching this swap, and so far it looks very do-able. Mounting points are gapped taller than the frame is, but running spacers on top and/or bottom of the frame, some tube spacers inside the frame vertically, and boxing the frame in the proper locations will make it sit rather well. Then it's just a matter of hooking up steering, rad. clearance, exhaust clearance, etc... Get up to 25 posts, and the search function will show some examples. Good luck, and welcome to FTE!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Jokerman
New User
Thanks for the reply,Seen it the "67" forum but didn't know if anyone did it too the "57-60" years.Send me pm if you find anthing,greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 03:32 PM
52 F3
Elder User
This is one of my future projects also. I haven't seen any info from any one who has done it but I see no reason whay it wouldn't be a good swap. The frame for the 57/60 is straighter on top and bottom in the front suspension area than the later frames but I don't think that would be a problem. As soon as it gets warmer Ihope to get to a u-pull-it and get what I need to start. I have a stripped chassis just waiting.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:36 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I researched this a couple of months ago and the one obstacle that sticks out for me was that apparently it's too wide. As in the hubs stick out so far that rim selection would be limited. However, I have a 53 and you have a 59. I believe somebody has a long posting on this and he was quite happy with it. I'll see what I can dig up. Here you go:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...o-67-f100.html

Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I was also intending do some research on this mod but life (broken well water pipe and sewer back up) have got in the way and continue to. Some preliminary information off the top of my head;

There are two Crown Victoria chassis;

Early, which is a integral front cross member built into the frame, someone on this site has pictures of a front frame grafted on to a pick up frame, (major welding) front track is wide I think.

Late, which is an aluminum removable cross member that is a bolt in (yah, right) also very wide and needs 16 inch tires to clear the calipers. I have bits and pieces of info to put together someday.

The link above is the late newer type but this is being installed in a 1967 f100 which was/is a twin I beam and I don’t have the specs, but it has a wider front track.

Sorry I don’t have any more info, so measure and measure again.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Kurt60F100
Freshman User
I read the complete thread on the 67 forum about the crown vic conversion and they said it will work on any frame with a width of 34 inches so it will work on our fridges. The 03-07 front ends will practically bolt in. I have seen one of the older ones welded in and it looked good but not as good as the bolt in imo.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Hey, Kurt!

It’s not only that it will fit the frame but it is where the wheels end up.

I have re-read the 1967 (61.25 front track) thread until page 16 and my face got tired. They say that the hub to hub measurement is 68 inches compared to around 60 inches for your truck, that is 8 inches wider, they get around it by using a large backspace (5.72) stock wheel bringing in to 63.4 track, still around 4 inches wider then what you now have. Apparently they is almost no room for a larger backspace wheel to narrow the track more, if available. Quote: “the stock rims have about as much offset as you can get!”

I think it’s do-able but you are going to have to get the right wheels or the tires will stick out way past the fenders.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:13 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Old F1
Hey, Kurt!

It’s not only that it will fit the frame but it is where the wheels end up.

I have re-read the 1967 (61.25 front track) thread until page 16 and my face got tired. They say that the hub to hub measurement is 68 inches compared to around 60 inches for your truck, that is 8 inches wider, they get around it by using a large backspace (5.72) stock wheel bringing in to 63.4 track, still around 4 inches wider then what you now have. Apparently they is almost no room for a larger backspace wheel to narrow the track more, if available. Quote: “the stock rims have about as much offset as you can get!”

I think it’s do-able but you are going to have to get the right wheels or the tires will stick out way past the fenders.

That's the way I understood it also. However, I'm willing to let somebody else guinea pig this and make a believer out of me.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Yep, the track width is wider, but with the right wheels still do-able. I find it an interesting swap, as it will give you a lot of drop, 12" disc brakes, and R&P steering. But I like the looks of original wheels or other older style wheels, and won't be doing this swap myself. At least until I find the right car/truck to do it to.

BTW: I read the newer CV's have a 63.4" track width, but that depends on the offset of the wheel, which is quite negative.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Old F1
that the hub to hub measurement is 68 inches compared to around 60 inches for your truck, that is 8 inches wider,
I got myself mixed up with my own BS, the hub to hub measurement is not the same as track so the extra width is less then the 8 inches I said, I don’t know what the hub to hub on a 59 is, but it is still wide and needs the offset wheels for our use.

Originally Posted by carnut122
That's the way I understood it also. However, I'm willing to let somebody else guinea pig this and make a believer out of me.
YEP!

Originally Posted by havi
BTW: I read the newer CV's have a 63.4" track width, but that depends on the offset of the wheel, which is quite negative.
Yes your right, it depends on the wheel off set, a wheel with no offset and you would have a 68 inch track. (think monster truck)

Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Kurt60F100
Freshman User
The hub to hub measurement on my 60 is around 63 1/2" Give or take some still had wheels on it so not exact. they said on their thread that they used the stock Crown Vic wheels and tires or could use newer Mustang wheels. Don't want to mislead any one by all means. Just forwarding info I read. I know can't believe everything you read. I am thinking about this swap too and I guess I would need to do my homework. My mistake.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:42 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
At first blush this swap is very exciting...but, as always, the devil is in the details. When this topic first came up I went to a local wrecking yard and looked over two retired CHP cars, a 2004 and a 2005 model. The 2004 had cast aluminum components and the 2005 had stamped steel. Geometries were the same...that means that both were TOO wide to be considered for an F100 application IMO. I posted a reply to the thread mentioned above in carnut's post where I cited the measurements that I had taken. I don't have them off the top of my head now but if you're interested you can dig them out of the carcrafter post. I am attaching a pic that I took that clearly shows the right suspension and the frame mounting, as has been said already (many times) the 34 inch width is dead on for an F100 swap but take a look at the wheel mounting flange in relation to the frame. As I recall this flange is just about 1 inch inside the fender of my 56 F100. I would have to use wheels off an old Toronado to make this setup work.

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Thanks for the picture

Just maybe, someday, this will be the next Mustang II if the some sharp cookie in the aftermarket industry makes either an inset spindle assembly or a complete unit with a inset spindle.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:09 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Old F1 you hit the nail on the head, the spindle needs to move closer to the frame. The upper A-arm is the right size, the spindle just needs to move in closer to it. The lower A-arm would need more work though to get it shortened. The other point of interest that needs to be brought up is the mounting for the rear pivot of the lower A-arm...on the Crown Vic it is a bracket welded to the frame but I am not sure where this mounting point would fall on an F100 frame.

Quick Reply: "07" Crown Vic Conversion in a 1959 s/b