6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

This can't be right- mileage between regens

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:11 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
This can't be right- mileage between regens

Ever since I got that new flash, about 3k miles ago, my mileage has gone down 1-2mpg and the regens happen all the time. It's real annoying. So I started keeping track of when it regens. Check this out. Starting at 12,620 miles (beginning of first regen) and ending with 13,809 (end of last regen) guess how many times it did it's thing? Seven frinkin times! Thats crazy. Just under 1200 miles and it happens seven times! So every 200 miles it regens. That can't be normal. Now about 70% of my driving is around town, but I'm at 45mph+ and cruising at least 30% of the time. Either way this should not be. I'm going in for my 15k oil change soon so I am going to make them do something. But I can already hear what they are going to say. "Thats normal." Please tell me this is not normal and then tell me a good line to throw at the dealer so they take me serious.
Thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 PM
LJC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeap I understand, but regens will occur more often in city driving. When I'm doing city driving and I mean real city driving the truck goes in regen every 120 miles... 10 minutes and it's done. As soon I'm hitting the road those regens dissappear and I'll have one every tank... Regens depend on the driving and the diesel quality...

Old 03-14-2009, 08:05 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You will (unfortunately) have to run another couple thousand miles to get a significant pattern. I currently have over 80,000 miles on my '08 and can tell you that the regen cycles vary. Assuming you have the latest ECM software updates you can expect the regen cycles to do the following:

Interstate runs while towing heavy: up to 4 cycles/tank
Interstate runs towing light: maybe 1 cycle/tank
City driving empty: depends on lots of things

I have noticed regen cycles while empty and driving around town that last only a few minutes and seem to be very minor and quick. When I get on interstate runs the regens seem to last longer and have more of an effect on how the engine feels under load.

It's hard to feel confident in the DPF system because we all seek patterns and control of it. Just not going to happen.

The only thing you can tell your dealer, and specifically ask to speak with a schooled 6.4 tech, is what your experience is and that they should inspect the system for any abnormalities.

You should not have any soot in your tailpipe. They should visibly inspect the exhaust system AND the sensors to view any evidence of excessive heat damage. They should confirm that all sensors, generally temperature gauges, are working properly. You should confirm that you are getting ULSD fuel. You should inquire about the Motorcraft cetane boost fuel additive.

Most importantly, talk to the diesel tech. The "front lines" at most dealers are the service manager staff that don't know anything about the 6.4. They are (generally) trained in customer service, not vehicle service.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:47 AM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
I had the latest flash on my job#1 last month. I had the first one that I could now see after about 200 miles. The second about a 100 miles later and the last one (last night) 640 miles later! The one I had last night started about 5 or 6 miles from home and I didn't want to continue driving so I put the tow/haul button on to try and keep the RPMs up, thought that might help burn a little hotter. Anyway, when I parked in my driveway it was hot! I could here the ticking sound of the exhaust cooling off, but the whole truck smelled hot! Not exhaust smell, just everything smelled hot!
One more thing, I was under the impression that the truck will not regen under 30 MPH. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. If that's the case, I don't think we're getting regens in city driving because of traffic, traffic lights, etc.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Agreed on the city driving and possible ineffective regen. I am lucky to live in the country but spend a lot of time on interstates so I think my regens are generally as good as they can be. I feel for those of you driving/working in cities and trying to cope with making sure your DPF system is working to its potential.

You're right about the smell. When my job 1 used to regen at idle it got HOTTTTT and produced a funny odor. The exhaust pipes were popping pretty good too.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 AM
bigdogjohn1
New User
All diesel in the U.S. ulsd unless the is a disaster declared in the area of the refineires. If they can't the sulfer out to 15 ppm's then they have to sell it overseas.Everytime my 08 goes to regen it takes about 50 mpg off to empty and it seems that it goes to regen everytime I drive it.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Cass
Junior User
Originally Posted by bigdogjohn1
All diesel in the U.S. ulsd unless the is a disaster declared in the area of the refineires. If they can't the sulfer out to 15 ppm's then they have to sell it overseas.Everytime my 08 goes to regen it takes about 50 mpg off to empty and it seems that it goes to regen everytime I drive it.
We have a Grocery Store here that gives Discounts on Fuel based on how much you buy, they still do not have ULSD, just LSD, if the stickers on the pumps are correct. I have also run across the same thing at a couple of the LOVE'S Truck Stops, one East TN and one in mid AR, at least on the diesel pumps on the same side as the gas pumps.

Cass

Old 03-15-2009, 11:58 AM
bigdogjohn1
New User
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset" itxtvisited="1">Originally Posted by bigdogjohn1
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->We have a Grocery Store here that gives Discounts on Fuel based on how much you buy, they still do not have ULSD, just LSD, if the stickers on the pumps are correct. I have also run across the same thing at a couple of the LOVE'S Truck Stops, one East TN and one in mid AR, at least on the diesel pumps on the same side as the gas pumps.

Cass

ALL DIESEL SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES IS ULSD unless the is a disastor. Off road diesel is also ULSD. The stickers have not been replaced on the pumps. I guess Loves is to lazy to change them out.There is one in Mississippi along I-10 I use and there pumps are the same thing. They get their gas and diesel from the local Chevron plant 5 miles from them. Chevron also has Shell,ExxonMobile,Racetrac and Pilot trucks coming in.They just use their additive when they fill their trucks for who picks up the fuel. I work in the plants. The refineries also take the waste oil (diesel,kerosen) and run it through another cataylst and turn it into 3 grades of gas. This is why diesel is higher than gas not that they have to take the sulphur out.They have to take it out anyway if they don't take it out then they have to send it overseas. Pretty cool site to visit:
HowStuffWorks "How Oil Refining Works"

Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I'm not begging you to repeat yourself again bigdog. The few times that I have been in a do or die situation I have gotten diesel that was not labeled ULSD. All the stress it created on me, thinking the darn thing was going to clog up and blow the air filter out of the hood, was completely false?

It's hard to believe that there is no more LSD being sold when I see countless truck stops with special lanes marked for ULSD and LSD.

I'm not interested in arguing with you. I'm interested in being convinced by more than one source. Can you tell us where else we can look to back up your statement?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
mine will very but usually every 600 miles or so of mixed driving (city/hwy) towing brings on more. maybe the flash was not good?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM
litespeedvortex
Freshman User
I have a job 3 with the latest flash. I have regen only once. It was at 1748 miles. I currently have 3926 miles and still have not regen again. Most of my miles (90%) are in town miles. I do not know why I have only regen once (and yes I watch my dash like a hawk.) Maybe because I always use Diesel Kleen or the Ford stuff (cant remember what it is) fuel additive. Maybe these additives helf the fuel burn "cleaner". I really do not know. (I am sorry if this starts another thread of additives because there is already too maybe additive threads)

Old 03-15-2009, 11:23 PM
bigdogjohn1
New User
Hey ruschejj never an argument ! ! ! I stopped at a Loves in Mississippi and the stickers were for LSD so when I got back to the refinerie I asked the engineer for my project and that is what he told me.That was at Chevron.When I went to an old Texaco plant and was told the samething and at Shell and ExxonMobile. If you could only talk to an engineer or a chemist.They are the testing the product at the end to make sure it meets standards. If you watch the trucks at the station when they put diesel in the tank , they use the same hose at the same tap to fill both tanks the add the dye in.

Got another subject going,had coolant pouring from radiator and egr cooler out the exhaust. The dpf was saturated with coolant. My question is what damage has the coolant done to the dpf???

Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 AM
ctownson
Senior User
I use the Motorcraft fuel additive about every 2nd tank. I am averaging a regen about every other tank of fuel as well. Have the latest flash installed also.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 AM
wreckit72
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigdogjohn1
Got another subject going,had coolant pouring from radiator and egr cooler out the exhaust. The dpf was saturated with coolant. My question is what damage has the coolant done to the dpf???
When I had the same problem Ford replaced the radiator, both EGR coolers, the cat converter, and the DPF. They also had to replace a sensor that they couldn't get out.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 AM
wreckit72
Elder User
I hope your dealer is quicker than the one that did mine. It took two weeks for them to get mine done.