Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2009, 09:06 PM
New User

nosyguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loud Click in rear of expedition

I have a mind numbing loud click in back of my expedition. It is located in the driver's side rear interior. It is completely steady (electrical relay) and is coming from the area between the rear passenger door and the rear a/c heating fan. I have removed the panel that allows you to access the fan but the rest is enclosed.

In diagnosing the problem I began systematically removing fuses from electrical compenents in the rear area of the vehicle. Then I found it! Fuse 23 which is the 10A fuse for "Aux A/C, Heated Seats, Trailer Tow Battery Charge, Turn/Hazard Flasher, 4X4 Clutch Relay, Overhead Console, E/C Mirror, 4 Wheel Anti-lock brake system (4WABS) Module.

So the question... which of these would cause the LOUD click? I am leaning towards the 4X4 Clutch Relay because of some other little trans anomolies I notice, except that I don't know if this is the general location of that relay or if it is down at the transfer case, etc... I know very little of trans, much less 4x4.

Help Please!!!

TIA
Nosyguy
Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 AM
New User

mycroft is starting off with a positive reputation.
I suppose I have the same problem and partly satisfying solution to it.
My diagnostics attempts showed, that the noise is related to setting of rear climate control overhead/floor switch. There might be some sort of conflict between the driver's and passengers' control panel. There are certain combinations that make the sound come on and some combinations, that make it come off.
It is still annoying, that I can't set the climate control freely, but at least, there is a way how to turn off that bloody noise.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Posting Guru

alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
I suppose I have the same problem and partly satisfying solution to it.
My diagnostics attempts showed, that the noise is related to setting of rear climate control overhead/floor switch. There might be some sort of conflict between the driver's and passengers' control panel. There are certain combinations that make the sound come on and some combinations, that make it come off.
It is still annoying, that I can't set the climate control freely, but at least, there is a way how to turn off that bloody noise.
Are you sure your noise isn't on the passenger side? What you describe sounds like a blend door actuator for the rear HVAC. The floor/ceiling actuator is a snap to get at to disconnect and/or replace.
1995 Bronco XLT, 1996 Explorer XLT, 1999 Expedition EB, 2003 Expedition EB, 2004 Expedition EB Premium
Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

Big Greenie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nothing in the 4wd system would cause the noise you are hearing. The other guys have you on the right track, sounds like a rear HVAC issue. Shop manuals would be priceless in this case.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:02 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41 View Post
Are you sure your noise isn't on the passenger side? What you describe sounds like a blend door actuator for the rear HVAC. The floor/ceiling actuator is a snap to get at to disconnect and/or replace.
I just checked again and you are right. The rhythmical continuous deep click noise comes from the starboard (passenger's side). Sorry for misleading and thank for encouraging tip, I'll have a look at it. :-)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Posting Guru

alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
I just checked again and you are right. The rhythmical continuous deep click noise comes from the starboard (passenger's side). Sorry for misleading and thank for encouraging tip, I'll have a look at it. :-)

If it is the floor to ceiling selection that changes the noise, that is the easier of the two actuators to change. Pull the little change tray out from on top of the wheel arch in the back and look for a little beige box. The tray is held in by little barbs, so flex it along the long side by pulling it towards the center, and work it off from there. If it is a bib bother, you can just unplug it for now and fix it later. In either event, it is a quick job.
1995 Bronco XLT, 1996 Explorer XLT, 1999 Expedition EB, 2003 Expedition EB, 2004 Expedition EB Premium
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Senior User

Mark250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a very similar noise on my Mountaineer. It was a plastic piece stripped in the blend door actuator & the motor kept running all the time.

2002 F-350 BFT Sport SC 4x4 SRW, black monochrome, 7.3, AIS & fender sleeve, Zoodad, 4" turbo-back, Hpx, In-tank pickup mods, Harpooned, 6.0 AND stock trans cooler, 2008 diff cover. Autometer ES gauges, DP Tuner with lots of tunes, 2010 Mariner Premier, 1999 Ranger XLT 4-banger
Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41 View Post
If it is the floor to ceiling selection that changes the noise, that is the easier of the two actuators to change. Pull the little change tray out from on top of the wheel arch in the back and look for a little beige box. The tray is held in by little barbs, so flex it along the long side by pulling it towards the center, and work it off from there. If it is a bib bother, you can just unplug it for now and fix it later. In either event, it is a quick job.
I found your older post on that topic. It seems, that I'll need this: Dorman 604-202 - Heater Blend Door Actuator | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Thanks a lot for your help. :-)
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Junior User

rvbuilder2002 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
I found your older post on that topic. It seems, that I'll need this: Dorman 604-202 - Heater Blend Door Actuator | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Thanks a lot for your help. :-)
You need that one if the failed actuator is the one for the blend air door.
If you need the one for the ceiling / floor diverter door it is a different #. I think it is 604-209. I just ordered one from Rock Auto for about $42 with shipping.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM
New User

Well, what a confusion.
It seems to me, like it easily could be Dorman nr. 604213 which bears the very same description "cross-shaped shaft" as the original FORD/MOTORCRAFT part YH-1743 (http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Re...1&plugin=false as seen here under code: 19E616).
It is quite important for me because I am about to order the part from the other side of Atlantic ocean, I would rather order the correct one, as I will pay dearly for the delivery and it takes quite a while too.
I am actually thinking about "plan B" as well.
I will check the option of replacing plastic wheels mechanism which causes the trouble with metal wheels if I can manage to get correct sizes. Is it complete nonsense? What you reckon?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Well, what a confusion.
It seems to me, like it easily could be Dorman nr. 604213 which bears the very same description "cross-shaped shaft" as the original FORD/MOTORCRAFT part YH-1743 (http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Re...1&plugin=false as seen here under code: 19E616).
It is quite important for me because I am about to order the part from the other side of Atlantic ocean, I would rather order the correct one, as I will pay dearly for the delivery and it takes quite a while too.
I am actually thinking about "plan B" as well.
I will check the option of replacing plastic wheels mechanism which causes the trouble with metal wheels if I can manage to get correct sizes. Is it complete nonsense? What you reckon?
That's the one. It's the front mounted actuator that is a little harder to get to but still not real difficult. The two actuators are not interchangeable. The front one that you described a little more expensive at the dealer.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Junior User

rvbuilder2002 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
That's the one. It's the front mounted actuator that is a little harder to get to but still not real difficult. The two actuators are not interchangeable. The front one that you described a little more expensive at the dealer.
No offense intended, but this type of information is what makes it difficult to determine what information in on line forums is correct and what isn't.

The front (also top) actuator is actually the easy one to replace...on a 2003 or newer Gen. 2 Expy anyway. Maybe on the Gen 1 (2002 and older) it is different. That,s why it is important to mention what year you are talking about.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
No offense intended, but this type of information is what makes it difficult to determine what information in on line forums is correct and what isn't.

The front (also top) actuator is actually the easy one to replace...on a 2003 or newer Gen. 2 Expy anyway. Maybe on the Gen 1 (2002 and older) it is different. That,s why it is important to mention what year you are talking about.
Not offended sir but to clarify myself, I used the term front as this was the term used by the Ford dealer's parts guy. He referred to them as the "top" and the "front". I'm not a tech or a mechanic. Simply using terminology used at the dealer. Additionally, in my signature, I have listed a 2004 Expedition. Simply trying to be helpful and to demystify this all too often recurring issue with this generation of Expeditions.

So, to anyone who is interested. Once you remove a couple of plastic trim pieces and pull back the large piece of plastic that covers the rear unit on the passenger side, you'll see just how simple it really is.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 PM