1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

What do you think "True 4X4" is?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
2trux
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think "True 4X4" is?

Because of a conversation that hijacked another thread, I thought I would start this and maybe get some more input.

Since this is just for each persons opinion, you don't need to flame them if you don't agree.

Personally my idea of a true 4 wheeler is one that has a mechanically engaged transfer case going to 2 axles that have mechanical lockers. The suspension needs to have enough movement to keep the tires on the ground so they can keep you moving forward. You need mechanical lockers, (not limited slip) so when that tire finally comes off the ground it won't start spinning and take power from the other wheel.
I also prefer a manual transmission with a low 1st gear. There is nothing more depressing than having your engine revving and your tires not moving because the torque converter is unable to pass on the power.

Of course once you have built this "Bad Boy" rig you better have a good winch, because once you get it stuck, you are really stuck.

Sadly to get something like this you must build/modify it yourself since it is extremely hard to buy something like this off the lot.

My '69 Bronco was very close to my ideal 4X4. My current '97 Expedition, and '05 Explorer are what I call my wimp wagons. They are fine for the kind of off-roading I do now, but do not fit my definition of a "True 4X4"

What are your thoughts?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are lots of trucks like what you describe. They are all built by off roaders for off road use only. They are amost alway trailered to the place where they play in the mud, rocks, swamp or snow. I can only think of one that might be usable on the highway and that's the MOOG. I think I spelled it right.
A truck like you describe would be very dangerous for nearly everyone to drive on the roads. The Suburu is one of the best AWD vehicles I have driven, My son pulled a F350 crew cab 4X4 diesel out of the mud with his and it was a very impressive feat for a car that small to pull a truck that big and heavy out of the slime in Chesapeake.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are close Mel, I think you are talking about the UNIMOG, affectionately know as the MOG by most enthusiasts. Having owned one, I wouldn't reccomend it for highway use unless you are talking about a very recent version of the truck. The older, more common ones have a top speed of about 50 mph and you better bring ear plugs.

I think 2trux nailed the definition, lockers are required IMO.

I can think of a few vehicles that meet the stated requirements, Jeep Rubicon, which also offers a super low 4:1 t-case ratio, Dodge Power Wagon 2005-current, Mercedes G-class 1979-current, and the late '90's Toyota Land Cruisers had optional front and rear diff locks. I have owned the Jeep, 4 G-wagens, and the MOG. All of them but the MOG served as daily drivers. I used to travel cross country (1500 miles each way) with the G-wagens to off road in Moab, it is the best all around 4x4 in the world IMO, and lockers rule off road.

Once you have some off-road experience under your belt though, even the lowly Expy can be horsed in and out of some hairy places.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Yep, UniMog is what I was referring to. They are very impressive. IMO front and rear lockers would be very dangerous in the hands of most 4WD owners of today as most people are accustomed to trucks they can jump into and drive without understanding how they will be under some severe conditions. Example; many of the Explorer roll overs were not all Ford or Firestone's fault. Lack of mainenance and incompetent drivers helped in more than a few.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
I built a 85 Toyota with dual transfer cases and spools for both diffs, this truck will go anywhere but its not for a paved road. I have a parking brake rotor mounted on the rear driveshaft that works great especially when in 4x4. All four wheels are driven at all times, this is my idea of a true 4x4.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 PM
2trux
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jk080
I built a 85 Toyota with dual transfer cases and spools for both diffs, this truck will go anywhere but its not for a paved road. I have a parking brake rotor mounted on the rear driveshaft that works great especially when in 4x4. All four wheels are driven at all times, this is my idea of a true 4x4.
How are dual transfer cases used, I have never heard of this setup before?
It sounds like you have quite a truck. Where do you go wheelin' with it?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 PM
2trux
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
Yep, UniMog is what I was referring to. They are very impressive. IMO front and rear lockers would be very dangerous in the hands of most 4WD owners of today as most people are accustomed to trucks they can jump into and drive without understanding how they will be under some severe conditions. Example; many of the Explorer roll overs were not all Ford or Firestone's fault. Lack of mainenance and incompetent drivers helped in more than a few.
Fortunately people who don't know anything about this kind of equipment will probably never own it. They will desire to have something popular, with auto 4WD that they can just jump into and drive.
Most of the extreme equipment is built by the owner.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2trux
Fortunately people who don't know anything about this kind of equipment will probably never own it. They will desire to have something popular, with auto 4WD that they can just jump into and drive.
Most of the extreme equipment is built by the owner.
And rarely see the streets and highways, if ever.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Omahastro1
Senior User
How about a selectable locker for the front, and maybe a selectable for the rear that goes from limited slip to full locker such as the E-Locker made by Detroit.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by Omahastro1
How about a selectable locker for the front, and maybe a selectable for the rear that goes from limited slip to full locker such as the E-Locker made by Detroit.
The vehicles I listed in my post all offer selectable lockers. They are all street drivable and user friendly enough to use everyday with the exception of the UNIMOG.

The problem with adding lockers is that the rest of the driveline components have not been built to withstand the extra torque lockers are going to subject them to. This is what causes most driveline failures off road. If the vehicle wasn't designed with lockers you are more than likely only going to cause yourself problems.

This leads to the custom built rigs. Axle swaps for heavier units, 1350 grade u-joints and stronger driveshafts all end up built into the trail rigs, the reliable ones anyway. Good drivers can run lockers without breaking parts, most use too much throttle and not enough finesse though.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Big Greenie

Axle swaps for heavier units, 1350 grade u-joints and stronger driveshafts all end up built into the trail rigs, the reliable ones anyway. Good drivers can run lockers without breaking parts, most use too much throttle and not enough finesse though.

Don't forget the BEER, that seems to often be included in having off road fun. The lack of good judgement of the driver combined with the beer has caused many a failure.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM
alloro
Received 4,185 Likes on 2,425 Posts
IMO, 4WD is when engine power is connected to each of the 4 wheels on the vehicle. This doesn't guarantee traction at each of the 4 wheels, just that some degree of engine power is present.

Here is some generic reading material on the various drive systems:
four-wheel drive: Definition from Answers.com

Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by alloro
IMO, 4WD is when engine power is connected to each of the 4 wheels on the vehicle. This doesn't guarantee traction at each of the 4 wheels, just that some degree of engine power is present.

Here is some generic reading material on the various drive systems:
four-wheel drive: Definition from Answers.com

Contrary to the crowd...interesting. Is it safe to assume off road explorations aren't your bag?

I agree with your assesment of 4wd, that is pretty much textbook. I think the OP was looking to dig a little deeper though. If you get a wheel in the air with a standard 4wd you are probably on your way to being stuck. If one front and one rear are in the air, or on a slippery surface, you are not moving. Since two tires are still on the ground, and the truck isn't able to move, it makes the designation 4x4 hard to justify. So with 4wd what you have is a 2x4, and with 2wd you have a 1x4. Not as catchy for sure

Old 01-28-2011, 04:31 PM
alloro
Received 4,185 Likes on 2,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Greenie
If you get a wheel in the air with a standard 4wd you are probably on your way to being stuck.
No doubt, but the question posed was not what type of drive system will guarantee you traction at any given moment. He was asking what we thought true 4x4 is. Now while some might use the term without knowing it's true designation, it means 4 wheels on the vehicle and 4 of them are powered. That in itself reiterates what I said about engine power being present at each wheel.

Now even if 3 out of the 4 wheels were in the air, there is still a measurable force being applied to the 4th wheel. Granted that force is minuscule, but it should equal the force necessary to overcome the friction needed to spin the other 3 wheels. Therefore, even though 3 wheels are in the air, you still have a true 4x4 drive system...just not one that's going to bring you home.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by alloro
No doubt, but the question posed was not what type of drive system will guarantee you traction at any given moment. He was asking what we thought true 4x4 is. Now while some might use the term without knowing it's true designation, it means 4 wheels on the vehicle and 4 of them are powered. That in itself reiterates what I said about engine power being present at each wheel.

Now even if 3 out of the 4 wheels were in the air, there is still a measurable force being applied to the 4th wheel. Granted that force is minuscule, but it should equal the force necessary to overcome the friction needed to spin the other 3 wheels. Therefore, even though 3 wheels are in the air, you still have a true 4x4 drive system...just not one that's going to bring you home.
So what you are saying is that standard 4wd is really pretty worthless when you need it the most

Quick Reply: What do you think "True 4X4" is?