Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Junior User

notiones is starting off with a positive reputation.
Parking brake light stays on

My parking brake light stays on. The truck runs like crap when the light is on and makes a lot of noise. This has been going on for some time, but the light used to turn off after the truck warmed up (about 15 minutes under load). Now it stays on much, much longer. It is not the switch. I checked this with a multi-meter. Also throwing a P0470 (exhaust back pressure). Probably unrelated.

I hesitated posting this because it sounds crazy, but it is becoming more of a problem.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Elder User

Oversize is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Probably unrelated but my trucks parking brake light stayed on all the time too. Would never turn off at all but I have a five speed, the brake indicator switch is stuck so I simply unplugged the wire on it and have to remember to release my parking brake. I want to say that should be the same with yours the light is supposed to be an idiot light meaning your brake is on. The switch may work but be sticky but it shouldnt affect the way your truck runs unless it isnt releasing your brakes and their dragging. But even that should have little effect on the way the engine runs. But with your code Id be willing to say the light and the effect are unrelated, check your EBV there are tons of threads about this on here, sounds to me like it might be sticking disconnect it and wire it open, that might just take care of everything except fixing your indicator light. At least thats what it sounds like to me based on your description.

Earl. Former U.S. Marine, Professional driver, CAT diesel and Industrial Mech, P/T race engineer
'96 F-250 HD, SC, LB, 7.3L PSD, 5 spd, 6" lift, 35" BFG's, 3" DP, cat gut, 4"-5" stacks, 4.10's w/ LS, FPR mod, CAI, Hot pdl, HPX, DP-Tuner, Stg 1's, IDM 120, AIC, never done,...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Junior User

I just found out that the light will come on to indicate a low vacuum situation on diesel engines. Unplugging the switch doesn't make the light turn off, so maybe I should check the vacuum pump first thing in the AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Smokin'

96P_Stroke4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
if you've noticed a harder brake pedal, it's the vacuum pump going out.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Junior User

Brake pedal feels fine. Recently rebuilt the brakes all the way around and am quite pleased with the result. So maybe it isn't vacuum related after all.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:42 PM
New User

Dirtoutlaw88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My '94 F250 light stays on sometimes after I release the brake lever. Usually just reaching down and pulling the brake release and the PB pedal back up with the same hand makes the light go off. Hopefully yours is just an easy fix like mine...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Junior User

If I had a nickel for every time I tried that.... I should add that my truck was in the shop for two weeks resolving electrical problems. Cost me 4 times what I paid for the truck.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Senior User

Eric_F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i've had that happen with my brake pedal- sometimes it needs to come up just a hair more for the switch to disengage. so long as your parking brake is really releasing- you should be fine. you can check that by jacking the rear end and spinning each rear wheel with brake on and again with brake off for comparison.

this is what the manual for your year...

-----------
All vehicles use a brake warning light in the instrument cluster (10849) to warn of system malfunctions. The red warning light for the brakes can indicate three conditions:

The parking brake is not fully released.
The brake fluid level is low in the master cylinder reservoir.
The vacuum pressure is low on diesel engine vehicles.
---------------------

if your vents work quickly, brakes feel normal, and you are not low on brake fluid... i wouldn't worry too much. let us know what you find!

-e
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Junior User

[temporarily solved]

I have been playing around and have decided it is vacuum related. It doesn't happen on warm days which may indicated a leak in the heater-a/c controller. Also, if I clear the DTC codes, the light goes off. Sometimes it will come on at a traffic light, which is also indicative of a vacuum leak. The brake switch is electrically sound. Since the truck is running well, there are no brake problems, and another issue I thought was related has been fixed, I will probably wait until I get back from my trip to finish troubleshooting. I am headed for a much warmer climate so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM