1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 Super Duty 7.3 with problems Ford can't find.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Sonny Dee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Super Duty 7.3 with problems Ford can't find.

Hi guys, I have a 99 Super Duty 7.3 with 74k original miles, truck looks and used to run like new. While in Myrtle Beach this winter I thought I cracked an injector cup as I was getting fuel into the coolant. The amazing part, didn't even know it until I turned on the heater and smelled raw diesel. Popped the hood and there was 1.5 gal. in the expansion tank. Having to get back to Ct. it was suggested not to make the run so I took it to a Ford dealer. Fortunately they called me on every step of the way on the diagnosic work and it came down to an internal cracked fuel rail.$5200.00 later I was back on the road, that included taking out the engine and doing front/rear main, oil pan, two new heads,pedastal seals and all other seals and gaskets needed. In 2000 I put a chip in that installed in the ECM, truck ran like a bear...didn't know they were going to update the computer, they didn't ask and I didn't tell them however it wiped the chip out. Then they had a hard time starting the truck and it hasn't run the same since.
Now here is where I need some help, when it's run cold in the morning, it takes off like the chip was still in for the first 3-4 miles, then it looses power and returns somewhat to stock after it reaches temp. Detination noise extemely loud on acceleration and at times I can accelerate with no response to the pedal then all of a sudden, "bang" it accelerates. There is a noise coming from under the hood like I'm running a "thrush" on a 57 Chevy and when it hits 1600 rpms on the de-accel., sounds like a mild " jake".(not exhaust as far as I can tell). Race the motor up and as it comes down from 1200 to idle, engine shakes like it is trying to jump out, and the fuel economy went to hell. Been to 2 different dealers, one had it for 4 days, other 2 days, no codes, no fix. Here is my thought and I'm trying to get this confirmed. Is it possible on the download they did for an update on the injection system that they damaged the ECM to cause all this intermittent problems. Any other ideas?? I would surely appreciate it.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
mudman00x
Junior User
you should post this in the 7.3 forum

Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Thread moved to the 7.3L forum

Old 03-13-2009, 01:05 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The no codes part is interesting, Sounds like maybe a an ICP or IPR problem from the symptoms.

First I'd try unplugging the ICP sensor and see if that changes anything.

I'd also check the fuel pressure, a bad fuel pump might cause similar symptoms.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Sonny Dee
Senior User
Thanks for the reply, this truck ran like you wouldn't believe, I pull a 10k boat and a 12k 5th wheel and it would pull the hills in 6th holding 60 with no problem. All these problems came out of the dealership after the "fix" so it's hard to believe anything is failing. I believe it is coming from the re assembly of the engine and installation. I purchased a programmer to replace the one they wiped and reluctant to install with all these problems. Today I installed it and ran the codes....only one was the PO603 which I understand that is normal after the installation. Then I programmed the "tow" program and took it for a ride. It just magnified all the problems by 4. Detintation noise on acceleration extremely loud, the throaty sound under the hood, louder and the de acceleration shake even heavier. Ran it 10 miles with it skipping and stumbling here and there, shut it off and check the codes......none. If I disconnect the ICP should it stall out if good or if bad will it run better(by default). Thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE Sonny. If you unplug the ICP and it idles better then the ICP is gone. Also look for oil in the connector, aanother sign that it may be failing. if you don't mind me asking wat did you use to pull the codes?

Old 03-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Welcome to FTE Sonny. If you unplug the ICP and it idles better then the ICP is gone. Also look for oil in the connector, aanother sign that it may be failing. if you don't mind me asking wat did you use to pull the codes?
If you unplug the ICP while its running it will stall..

Unplug it ,then start it ....Sounds like IPR o Ring or a leak in the HPO system ..(assuming the oil is new )....

Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Rick
I will add
IPR nut or problem in the EBPV system.

Would like to see the realtime EOT and Baro.
Bill

Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Sorry, but I have no idea what's going on with your truck. Just thought I'd welcome a CT resident to the forums.

Stick around a while. Maybe you could stop by the CT Chapter forums and say hi to the guys!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Sonny Dee
Senior User
Thanks Megawatt, I used a Edge Evolution.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Sonny Dee
Senior User
Thanks guys for the "Welcome", appreciate it, I believe they checked out the HPO and put in whatever was needed, I remember the Mech suggesting that while it was on the ground. I ran several boats commercially for a while with Detroits and Cummins and if you couldn't fix them yourself you didn't make any money, it was simple, need fuel or air, find what it didn't have. This 444 is driving me nuts and the stealers are getting no more $$$$.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MADVAN
Rick
I will add
IPR nut or problem in the EBPV system.

Would like to see the realtime EOT and Baro.
Bill
Oh yeah...that too....

Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM
CalCity
Senior User
I'm pretty new to the Diesel world but what about timing, a/f ratio or maybe a vacume line.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
SD

Did you check the EBPV?
I would pull the rod off and wire it open as a test.

Rick
Have a photo?

Bill

Old 03-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Sonny Dee
Senior User
Thanks again for all the info, have enough to check out tomorrow. One more thing, what's out there that will take me beyond codes that I won't have to take a loan out to get.

Quick Reply: 99 Super Duty 7.3 with problems Ford can't find.