Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Elder User

Larry NCKS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Supercab rear door latch

My '08 F-350 Supercab has a loose fit at the lower door latch on the rear door on the driver's side. I don't think it was loose originally. I'm wondering if the latch itself has become dirty preventing it from latching properly or whether an adjustment needs to be made. If an adjustment, can anyone tell me the proceedure? Thanks.
2009 Day Dreamer 37RLTSD 5'er RV
Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Junior User

bdavis1369 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My driver's door does the same thing....over any bumps it sounds like it's not latched....Drives Me Crazy. I know there was a post on her recently about this but I cant seem to find it.....someone will chime in!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Senior User

loudford is starting off with a positive reputation.
my lower rear passenger door was "drive me crazy" as well, found the bottom latch wasn't engaging used some silicone and worked it a few times now good. Looks like sand & dirt get up under there on both sides, starting to get rust on both sides now...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Senior User

GVS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Larry, Get back over to the "SOS" board.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVS View Post
Larry, Get back over to the "SOS" board.
Why? And which board are you talking about? And what has this got to do with my original post?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry NCKS View Post
My '08 F-350 Supercab has a loose fit at the lower door latch on the rear door on the driver's side. I don't think it was loose originally. I'm wondering if the latch itself has become dirty preventing it from latching properly or whether an adjustment needs to be made. If an adjustment, can anyone tell me the proceedure? Thanks.
Just a followup. I got to it today to lube the latch. Although it was probably time for that, it did not fix my problem. I can hear the latch clicking into the fully closed (2nd) position when I shut the door gently, so I know that's not the problem. The striker plate is immovable, leaving the latch. Perhaps I'll try to loosen and slide it, having no real information on what the proper proceedure is. Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Not sure about the later SDs, but on my '01, neither the latch, nor the striker is adjustable.

With my '01, I had to remove the striker, round out the holes and find another set of bolts the right length to be able to adjust it.

You COULD have weatherstripping that's collapsed, and there's a fix for that, inserting surgical rubber tubing in the weatherstripping to fatten it up again.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 03-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Just a followup. I got to it today to lube the latch. Although it was probably time for that, it did not fix my problem. I can hear the latch clicking into the fully closed (2nd) position when I shut the door gently, so I know that's not the problem. The striker plate is immovable, leaving the latch. Perhaps I'll try to loosen and slide it, having no real information on what the proper proceedure is. Thanks again.
Larry, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If you haven't already you should try this: loosen the two screws securing the lower striker latch plate (about one turn each) and strike the plate inboard.The anchor plates float within the body and this will allow some adjustment.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Elder User

Thanks, GVS. I'd tried moving the striker plate, but tried it again. It does not move. It is bolted solidly to the frame in a fixed postion as Krewat stated. I did what he suggested and "fattened" up my weatherstrip. That helped considerably, but didn't get it all. Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Senior User

Grey 250s is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Grey 250s is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey, Larry.
My 06 SC rear driver's side upper latch wouldn't catch without slamming the bejesus out of it. Dealer adjusted it for me when it was in for a routine oil change. Said it was not uncommon.

paul
'06 F250 XLT, 6.0L , SC, LB. Buckstops w/9.5k, TruckTrunk Ultra, B&W GN, Firestone Air.
'85 F250, 460ci, '68 Cougar XR7, '50 F1 project
Old 03-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Thanks, GVS. I'd tried moving the striker plate, but tried it again. It does not move. It is bolted solidly to the frame in a fixed postion as Krewat stated. I did what he suggested and "fattened" up my weatherstrip. That helped considerably, but didn't get it all. Thanks again.
That is strange.I got a solid eighth inch adjustment out of mine.It's an 06.Maybe thats one of the differences in 06 and 08.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVS View Post
That is strange.I got a solid eighth inch adjustment out of mine.It's an 06.Maybe thats one of the differences in 06 and 08.
Very strange - I've never heard that the rear door latches on the supercab were EVER adjustable.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
99, adjust, cab, door, doors, f250, fix, ford, latch, loose, rear, rust, super, supercab, upper