Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Recalling why the V-10 is a Bargain Deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Recalling why the V-10 is a Bargain Deal

Having a great day here just south of Dallas...first rain in months. Been steady all day, so far caught a couple of inches of the liquid so far. However, the rain did keep me off the Ranch and stuck here in the Urban life. I had my 14' dump trailer hooked up to the back of the F-250 V-10 and cabin fever had set in. So off I go sitting high in the seat of the F-550 6.4. As I often do, I turn off the stero and listen to the light symphony of the diesel under hood, even to a V-10 guy the diesel sounds sweet. So, where to go......I'll go fill the truck at Walmart and then run inside and pick up the needs to do an oil change on the PSD...great idea..right. Well just as I get ready to pull up to the diesel pump the PSD goes in REGEN to clean the exhaust filter...this function take about 20+ miles of driving to complete its task. And Ford says it is a big NO NO to stop the engine while the computer is in the REGEN mode.....darn CPU.
I then fill the truck and enjoy the fact that diesel is only $1.90 per gallon as I just pumped in 90 gallons...of course a few minutes later my wife calls me to let me know the Pilot Truck Stop has diesel for $1.75 per gallon...Oh Well!!
Then into Walmart I go, straight back to automotive, and the Rotella is on sell, only $10.50 per gallon, so I grab 4 gallons. Now all I need is a filter, it was an additional $17.96. So now I have $42.00 in oil, $18.00 in a filter plus tax.......and now I can go home crawl under the truck drain my own oil, clean up the mess, wipe the motor down for any spilled or dripped oil.
I think just to feel better about the whole thing I will take my 250 to the dealer tomorrow and let them change the oil for a cost of $19.95
Sometimes we suffer from a case of Mental Flatulence and it takes the little things to make you remember what a bargain the V-10 really is.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow i didnt know about that regen timing thingy..

im not sure i could put up with that...if i was ready to stop teh truck cuz i arrived were i was headed and that went off, i'd be less then happy to have to drive 20miles just for the sake of the DPF...

curious how many times has ur truck gone into regen since u bought it ?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
BUBFF
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew there was still a perfectly good reason to owning the V-10. My Royal purple, Motorcraft filter and Lucas synthetic additive still adds up to less than an oil burner oil change.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
My F-550 was an early production vehicle with the 6.4. I had a CPU update done about a month back, part of the reprogramm was to notify the driver of when the truck was going into the REGEN process. But since then over a period of maybe 500 miles, I have seen the REGEN notice maybe 5 to 6 times....way too often.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 AM
marcussen
Senior User
My dealer sends me oil change coupons on a regular basis $14.99 for gas engines and $59.99 for diesels. It is a regular reminder of the lower maintenance cost of the V10.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Serg450
Posting Guru
I have both a V10 and a 6.4 I don't worry about the regen I just drive. if I dont drive far enough to complete the cycle I just park and don't even think about it. The filter is covered for 100k I will let Ford do all the worrying. V10 milage sucks but the truck is solid.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Serg450
I have both a V10 and a 6.4 I don't worry about the regen I just drive. if I dont drive far enough to complete the cycle I just park and don't even think about it. The filter is covered for 100k I will let Ford do all the worrying. V10 milage sucks but the truck is solid.
You are perpetuating a myth - the V10 mileage does not suck......it's about what you would expect to move a 6-7000 pound vehicle. The 5.4 only gets 1-2 mpg better, and when towing, the V10 is right there with the Chevies and Dodges......they all get about 8-9 mpg when heavily loaded. Driver considerations are a bigger factor in mileage than having a V10.

Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take an *** whoopin’.”

Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Serg450
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by alchymist
You are perpetuating a myth - the V10 mileage does not suck......it's about what you would expect to move a 6-7000 pound vehicle. The 5.4 only gets 1-2 mpg better, and when towing, the V10 is right there with the Chevies and Dodges......they all get about 8-9 mpg when heavily loaded. Driver considerations are a bigger factor in mileage than having a V10.

Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take an *** whoopin’.”
Personaly I did not buy it with MPG in mind. But when any car or truck gets 8-10 MPG that sucks. Yes the truck does all I need it to, but it does not change the fact that you can not get very far on a tank of gas.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Personaly I did not buy it with MPG in mind. But when any car or truck gets 8-10 MPG that sucks. Yes the truck does all I need it to, but it does not change the fact that you can not get very far on a tank of gas.
Nor did I buy mine with MPG in mind. But, I don't think getting 8-10 mpg moving 22 thousand pounds down the highway sucks........and I can see 14 MPG with two people, luggage and a small load on a trip. What's not to like? We have a Ford Escape for trips where we're not either moving something or going after something, but the capability is there if we need it. If you think 10 mpg loaded is bad, what are the economical alternatives? Only one I know is shipping by rail. Can't see loading our fifth wheel on a rail car for delivery to the campground.

My old grandpa once said to me, “Son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take an *** whoopin’.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Sooper-Doodie
Senior User
If you don't complete the regen cycle, the computer keeps track of the lost cycle and the dealer can retrieve this information and determine if your failed components will actually be covered.

Its the same as any other part, if you don't maintain it, they won't cover it.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sooper-Doodie
If you don't complete the regen cycle, the computer keeps track of the lost cycle and the dealer can retrieve this information and determine if your failed components will actually be covered.

Its the same as any other part, if you don't maintain it, they won't cover it.
Yeap, I figure that is the reason for the CPU update. The original program just put the truck to go into REGEN, and the driver/owner had no idea it was in the REGEN process. Now it comes up on the dash message center in big bright letters and words telling you that it is in the process of cleaning the exhaust filter. The recall notice came with instructions not to turn off the truck during the REGEN operation.
Now Ford can pass along the blame of improper maintance and non-coverage of warranty if needed.
Gotta love the simplicity of the V-10....gas...oil....air filter...and it runs and pulls like a quite, cheap, problem free diesel (gotta feeling I'll get burned from some PSD owner for that comment).

Old 03-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Sooper-Doodie
Senior User
Originally Posted by jonrjen
pulls like a quite, cheap, problem free diesel (gotta feeling I'll get burned from some PSD owner for that comment).

Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Mmaxed
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alchymist
Nor did I buy mine with MPG in mind. But, I don't think getting 8-10 mpg moving 22 thousand pounds down the highway sucks........and I can see 14 MPG with two people, luggage and a small load on a trip. What's not to like? We have a Ford Escape for trips where we're not either moving something or going after something, but the capability is there if we need it. If you think 10 mpg loaded is bad, what are the economical alternatives? Only one I know is shipping by rail. Can't see loading our fifth wheel on a rail car for delivery to the campground.

My old grandpa once said to me, “Son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take an *** whoopin’.

If I could get 8 mpg pulling 5er I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven. 6 is the norm with 5 very possible in the wind. Running solo 11-13. 14 may be possible with no wind or passing, and 65 mph max. That's less mpg solo than my brothers 8.1 Chev. I really like the 10er and am glad I got it, but it is not the magic cure all do all that some make it out to be.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Originally Posted by Mmaxed
If I could get 8 mpg pulling 5er I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven. 6 is the norm with 5 very possible in the wind. Running solo 11-13. 14 may be possible with no wind or passing, and 65 mph max. That's less mpg solo than my brothers 8.1 Chev. I really like the 10er and am glad I got it, but it is not the magic cure all do all that some make it out to be.
Wow, what are you pulling? We pull a 14.5K 5er, and regularly get 8-9 mpg. Moderate hills & a few steep ones here in PA. 12 mile run to town, mostly up and down, still get 13 or better hauling building supplies (nothing real heavy).

BIL has an older Dodge 3/4 ton, little smaller 5er, he's getting 9 or there abouts. In fact most every one we camp with,with a variety of trucks and 5er's get about the same. I think it's mostly the high frontal area with the 5er's.

John Adams: “Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense.” (A defense of the Constitution of the US)

Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahahahahahhaha! I was just reading the 2009 fuel consumption ratings and was flabergasted to see that we V-10er's are in the same catorgory as the Lamborghini and Ferrari. Makes u go HUH!
Lamborghini Murcielago 11 city/ 18 hwy
lamborghini roadster 11 city/ 18 hwy
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti 12 city/ 22 hwy

But it sure makes you glad u got the V-10 and can haul 10,000 plus pounds.

Quick Reply: Recalling why the V-10 is a Bargain Deal