Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Post Fiend

jdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to behold
Throttle Position sensor location?

Scott(crum71) is having his truck painted and they went to move the truck today and the truck would start but it wouldn't do anything when you push the pedal. Where is the location of the TPS assuming that is the issue?

He hasn't had any issues up til now and he had body work done on the truck IE the bed was removed and fixed and the entire truck was painted. Could the shop have damaged something when they removed the bed?
Pete's Custom Filter Covers Riffraff Diesel Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawatt00 View Post
Kinda tough to embrace the dark side when your an electrician.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Senior User

ggirten is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe it is on the pedal itself. Follow it up.

99 F250 SD ext. cab 4x4 7.3l Diesel
V10 Tranny cooler plus heavy duty tranny cooler
Harpoon mod, Tymar mod, Dfuser 18k, DP Tuner high idle, 60 tow, 80 econ, 140 extreme, 2.5 leveling shackles, Cat & muffler delete boost, tranny temp and EGT gauges
Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Posting Guru

jeff7825 has a good reputation on FTE.jeff7825 has a good reputation on FTE.jeff7825 has a good reputation on FTE.
The TPS is on the throttle pedal. I don't think taking the bed off would affect it in any way.

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat Ecoboost

2004 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.0 (New Project)
Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Post Fiend

jdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't either only thing back there is the VSS.

Thanks that where he thought it was.

Quote:
Old 03-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Maybe check the fuses?
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM

megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
JD this link shows the location and a pic of what the TPS looks like
http://www.dormanproducts.com/docume...s_Sensors2.pdf
01 F350 DRW, Autometer Gauges, Custom CAI with Petes Cover, 6" Miter Stacks, 38R Turbo, Casserly SS Injectors, Live tuned by DP-Tuner (F6) , and a bunch of other stuff some show, and some go. PAA #14
www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org
RIP Robin Gone but not forgotten....RIP Mark.. I'll never forget you!!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM
1/8 mile Oval Track

crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks for posting this for me Justin, Its just my luck, they have had it now for 24 days (ugh) they was putting other vehicles in front of mine,but anyways,they went to back it out of the paint booth today,and it wouldn't do anything. I first thought it was the TPS, but wasnt sure. Does it only have the one on the pedal? A guy out there was telling me that he thought it had another one near the injector pump. Anyone have a clue? I have another one off of that 05' model, I hope it will work,going to run it back out there and see.
Scott PAA #60 2000 F250 7.3 Lariat Auto 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markadeck
I love each and everyone of y'all.
01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Old 03-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Post Fiend

Dude don't listen to him if he said injector pump now LOL.

Quote:
Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 PM
1/8 mile Oval Track

crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.
He just said he thought it had 2 TPS units on it. I thought I had the other pedal here at moms,but I remembered its in the building at the house. I will sneak off in the morning and run it out there. I should make them pay to have it fixed for taking this long to paint it. Its not like I had flames or something like that painted on it also...grrr
Scott PAA #60 2000 F250 7.3 Lariat Auto 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markadeck
I love each and everyone of y'all.
01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Old 03-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdecker88 View Post
Dude don't listen to him if he said injector pump now LOL.
Good bodymen are NOT good mechanics, I have learned and visa versa.
It is the rare tech that can do both, and do them well.
I wouldn't worry about them not knowing what is going on.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Postmaster

tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
Did you check the IVS which is built into the TPS. With the key on press the pedal slowly and should hear a slight click and same when you let back off. I have heard you can clean it out but don't have personal experience with it.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Postmaster

triskit16 has a very good reputation on FTE.triskit16 has a very good reputation on FTE.triskit16 has a very good reputation on FTE.
IVS went south in mine, at least I think it was the IVS! I ordered a new pedal assembly because I didnt know what was wrong. It would just go idle in the middle of an intersection. Its very easily bent back into place if it is bent now. Ordered a new pedal when a simple bend wouldve done it!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Senior User

VQ2Fast4U is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck was acting up with the TPS once, i would be driving and out of no where rpm woould drop to idle with no responce from the throttle. I pulled the TPS and cleaned it with some electrical cleaner and its been fine for about a year now.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Still learning every day!

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Here is more info on this issue... I went through all these gyrations several months back, and I've already shared some of this with Scott on the side.

There are two versions of the TPS and pedal assembly, but there is only ONE TPS and it is on the pedal assembly in the cab.

One version has the TPS built integrally into the pedal assembly, and the only way to replace the TPS on that unit is by replacing the entire pedal assembly... something like $75 at either Y2K or FTE Parts Guy, which matches the aftermarket unit pricing from elsewhere and stays with OEM stuff.

With the second style (which mine was SUPPOSED to be since it's a 2002 model, but it actually got a 2001 integral version probably out of convenience for the builders), the TPS is bolted onto the pedal assembly and can be replaced as a simple electronics component... price is somewhere around $35-$40 for the OEM sensor from either of those two guys mentioned above, which, again, is competitive with aftermarket units I've seen.

You CAN clean them out to some degree by spraying electrical contact cleaner inside and letting it dry. This has resolved TPS problems for some people, but not all, and is a cheap first step unless your failure has you dead in the water and you have to get it abck on the road immediately.

As best I can tell from my own efforts and inspections, you CANNOT take the TPS apart without causing significant damage to the unit's housing. You also CANNOT remove the TPS from the integrally built version without some real damamge to either or both portions (sensor and pedal assembly).

R&R is nto bad, but requires some contortion in the floor under the dash on the driver's side. Three bolts, can't remember the size. An air ratchet really helps make the back strain easier (for me, at least).

That said, I still have the 2002 version of the separate TPS that is brand new and has never been installed. Can make a deal for someone in need.

I also still have the original pedal assembly, which I now believe was NOT the problem after all. I think I had some yuck in my tank and when I would accelerate at the just the right (or wrong) conditions - uphill only and at the same rate every time - it would slosh under the pickup foot in the tank and cause an acceleration stumble that mimicked a TPS problem. I need to re-install the original to verify this, and once I do, I just may have a pedal assembly for sale as well.
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
'02 F250 PSD, CC, SB, XLT, 2WD: 252K miles
Basic, low cost, not really performance enhancing mods.
'03 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) PSD, 2WD, 176K miles - Stock.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/7pt3/Mods.html
Old 12-31-2009, 06:31 PM
New User

packfan17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pedal position sensor

Ok, after reading all these posts and checking my code(P0122), I went out and unbolted the assembly. The only problem I have is, how in the world do you pull the plug off of the assembly to clean the contacts? By the way, the truck is a 2002 F-350 4x4 PSD Lariat with 130,000 miles and this is the first time the darn engine light came on.And thanks, this site has been great.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1996, 2004, 73, audi, f250, ford, location, p0122, position, postion, powerstroke, sensor, sensorf350, throtle, throttle, tps, troubleshoot