General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet-A1 as cheap alternative Diesel fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Beagle44
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet-A1 as cheap alternative Diesel fuel.

Hi Fella's I'm new to this forum! "Contaminated" Jet-A1 is available very cheaply from many airplane maintenance facilities in large quantities (from hundreds to thousands of gals). I have been running a Merc 300D and truck for the last 12 years (380K miles) exclusively on Jet-A1 mixed with 2% engine oil.

Is anyone here interested in discussing the tech implications or have experience themselves in its long term use?

Have a nice day

Colin

Old 03-14-2009, 02:52 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
But can you run it in a 6.0?

Old 03-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno bout running it in a 6.0, but a buddy of mine runs in it a 93 IDI with no problems. But then again I ran mine on 20 gal of cotton seed oil once just to see if I could

Old 03-15-2009, 02:21 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beagle44
Hi Fella's I'm new to this forum! "Contaminated" Jet-A1 is available very cheaply from many airplane maintenance facilities in large quantities (from hundreds to thousands of gals). I have been running a Merc 300D and truck for the last 12 years (380K miles) exclusively on Jet-A1 mixed with 2% engine oil.

Is anyone here interested in discussing the tech implications or have experience themselves in its long term use?

Have a nice day

Colin
How do you go about getting it? I would like to do the same.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Beagle44
New User
Originally Posted by BPofMD
But can you run it in a 6.0?
Certainly. The Military in Iraq and Afghanistan use a single fuel, JP8, in all Aircraft and diesel powered vehicles and ground equipment. It should be noted that in the tests quoted below they were using “straight” JP8 (Jet-A1) without any additives to enhance lubricity. All pumps would have been in-line or rotary as common-rail electronic injection was not in vogue at that time. I know of only one person using Jet-A1 on common-rail using 2% oil mix and after 28,000ml have so far had no pump or injector issues. I would be most interested in hearing from anyone here using it on common-rail.

My own experience is limited to inline pumps and I am satisfied that a 2% mix is more than adequate lube for the metering elements and injectors. I can concur with all the findings of the report below.

The Reality of the Single-Fuel Concept

Testing and Field Trials

…….Users expressed concerns about using JP8 as a substitute for diesel fuel. These concerns included whether JP8 would burn hotter, if it would increase fuel consumption, and if it would be compatible with existing systems. As a result, the Army conducted many tests in the laboratory and on engine dynamometers, in addition to field and fleet tests, to validate using aviation kerosene turbine fuels in diesel engines and to dispel concerns. [Dynamometers measure mechanical power and assess engine durability and performance.]

Of the many successful fleet tests, one was particularly noteworthy. This 10,000-mile durability test was conducted with several commercial utility cargo vehicles (CUCVs) at the General Motors Desert Proving Ground in Mesa, Arizona, where they were exposed to round-the-clock operations in continuously hot climates. The test revealed no significant impacts on vehicle performance or fuel-injection pump wear, and no measured differences in engine operating temperatures were noted, which dispelled the fears of engines overheating because of supposedly hotter burning fuels.

One of the more significant and comprehensive tests of JP8 was a field de-monstration conducted at Fort Bliss, Texas, from October 1988 through July 1991. This field demonstration in-volved about 2,800 diesel-powered vehicles and pieces of equipment that consumed over 4.7 million gallons of JP8. The demonstration proved successful: no catastrophic failures were attributed to JP8. In fact, no major differences in procurement costs, fuel consumption, oil change intervals, or component replacements were
identified when compared to historical data for the same fleet of vehicles and equipment using diesel fuel.

Originally Posted by scatgo
How do you go about getting it? I would like to do the same.
Easier if you know somebody in the Aviation maintenance business but otherwise talk to the manager and neg.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Hawkeye 84
Freshman User
The military went to Jet fuel (kerosene based) for all ground vehicles about 15-18 years ago without modifying a vehicle. One day diesel, the next JP8. Talked to many motor officers and sergeants and they've all said that it was no problem. Don't know the mil specs though.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much does it cost compared to diesel?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Beagle44
New User
Originally Posted by soutthpaw
how much does it cost compared to diesel?
I am paying currently 25c/gal but subject to negotiation per drum or 300gal container.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:59 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be most interested in hearing from anyone here using it on common-rail.
I don't believe 6.0s are common rail. 6.4s are, but I don't think 6.0s. I could be wrong about that, but I don't believe they are.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 AM
saftman
Senior User
It will work fine in a 6.0, just need to add 1 to 1 1/2 ounces of TWC two-stroke oil per gallon for lubricity.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 AM
JIM_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by tex25025
I don't believe 6.0s are common rail. 6.4s are, but I don't think 6.0s. I could be wrong about that, but I don't believe they are.
Correct. The 6.0 uses a HEUI system (hydraulic electronic unit injector). Here's the Cliff's notes version:HYDRAULIC ELECTRONIC UNIT INJECTOR (HEUI) FUEL SYSTEM

Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 AM
JIM_C
Elder User

Have a nice day

Colin
What is it "contaminated" with?

Welcome!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JIM_C
What is it "contaminated" with?

Welcome!

Good question, can make a big difference. Why is any of it being sold so cheap? Passed a shelf life? Water in it? Maybe its used for testing new engines and cant be reused because of some federal regulations?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Beagle44
New User
Originally Posted by scatgo
Good question, can make a big difference. Why is any of it being sold so cheap? Passed a shelf life? Water in it? Maybe its used for testing new engines and cant be reused because of some federal regulations?
Major "C" inspections, work on fuel systems, weighing SOP's etc require that fuel tanks be drained and such fuel may not be replaced in Commercial (or any other) aircraft as it is "deemed" to have been contaminated. To what extent depends on how clean and dry the drums and containers were! Since they are regularly used for this purpose it's not an issue in a vehicle as you are gonna filter it anyway.

...and cant be reused because of some federal regulations?
I'm sure you will be aware that it is illegal to use dyed "off highway" diesel in a road vehicle but JP8/Jet-A1 has no dye and like veg oil is still something of a gray area .

I believe that use in a C/R would be less problematic than in the rotary V pumps as distribution is electronic with none of the sliding parts that need lube as in the Vee's. But that's just my opinion.

have a nice day

Old 03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe that use in a C/R would be less problematic than in the rotary V pumps as distribution is electronic with none of the sliding parts that need lube as in the Vee's.
Unless your putting this in a 6.4, your not putting it in a common rail truck. With regard to a Ford truck anyway. Have to make sure I add that considering this is the general diesel forum.

Quick Reply: Jet-A1 as cheap alternative Diesel fuel.