1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Fuel injectors stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
rubydist
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel injectors stuck open

The wife's Expy (2006, 5.4, 45k miles) suddenly started running like crap, wanting to die at idle. Pulled codes - rich on bank 1, misfire on #1 & #3. Dealer diagnostics says #1 & #3 injectors are stuck open.

I didn't want to pay them $500++ to fix it, so I drove it back home to change the injectors myself (for more like $100). By the time I got it home, it was running almost normal.

My question is - can I successfully clean those injectors so they work right, or should I buy a couple and change them out? Has anyone successfully cleaned them and made them work right? Will a new fuel filter and some injector cleaner make them okay?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rubydist
Pulled codes - rich on bank 1, misfire on #1 & #3. Dealer diagnostics says #1 & #3 injectors are stuck open.
Couple of questions: Exactly what was the code?
Reason I ask is that I easily get confused when they say rich on bank 1: does that mean it is running lean and the PCM is driving the injectors full rich - or does it mean it is running rich and the PCM is trying to drive the injectors full lean?

If you are experiencing an ignition misfire on one and three there will be excess (i.e, unused) oxygen in the exhaust of bank one and the O2 sensor will read that as a lean mixture and the PCM drive the injectors rich.

I'd like to view the LTFT on both banks and know the exact code(s) to see what is really happening.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
rubydist
Elder User
Actual codes pulled were:
P0172 - rich on bank 1
P0300 - random miss
P0301 - miss cylinder 1
P0303 - miss cylinder 3
It smelled like gas, & acted like it was very rich. It idled very rough, to the point it would threaten to die. The harder you drove it, the better it ran at that point.

I did not datalog it, but took it to Ford for diagnostics (since there are numerous potential causes for these codes) They reported that #1 and #3 injectors were stuck open.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
They reported that #1 and #3 injectors were stuck open.
If you hav ethe time, I'd swap those two injectors with two from the other bank and see if the problem moves to the other side, If it does, I'd just put two new ones in.

I don't know what would make an injector stick open, let alone two of them stick at the same time. What kind of shape is your fuel filter in?

If they are in fact sticking open, I have heard of bad things happening - like leaking fuel into a cylinder and hydro locking it when you go to start the engine, bending a rod.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
My question is - can I successfully clean those injectors so they work right, or should I buy a couple and change them out? Has anyone successfully cleaned them and made them work right? Will a new fuel filter and some injector cleaner make them okay?
It takes a special piece of equipment to properly clean injectors. If you're doing it yourself you can make it better than it is, but you won't make it like new. If two injectors are sticking, there's a chance the other 6 are not too far behind. I suggest you dump a can of Seafoam into the gas tank at your next fill-up and drive it a while. Seafoam is pretty good at cleaning out the fuel system and unsticking injectors. Regular FI cleaner won't help much, it's not a very strong cleaner.

Changing the filter won't make a difference since the problem is already past that point in the fuel system.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM
rconnjr
Cross-Country
does anyone think it is more likely that he just has a couple of bad coils? those are pretty much the same codes I got when my #1 & #4 coils went bad on my 97.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
That's why I was suggesting he move the injectors to the other bank. If the problem moves to the other bank - bingo! Ford dealer was right on -Change out the injectors.

If the problem doesn't change to the ohter bank - look further at the coils/boots/plugs/vacuum leaks/etc.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 PM
rubydist
Elder User
I was expecting it to be a coil issue, since I've heard lots about that, but I decided to order a couple of injectors - fortunately, it looks like changing #1 and #3 will be pretty straightforward, and then we'll see what the outcome is.

I think I'll change the fuel filter too - maybe the one I have has failed and allows the crud past it....

I'll report on the results once I know. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:18 AM
KR1
Senior User
A quick, easy check if you think you have Injector problems:

You can check the function with a mechanics stethoscope, screwdriver or your finger..... you can hear or feel it clicking.... if one is stuck or not working you will be able to tell....

Also seafoam in the tank and directly in the intake may free them up..

fuel pressure regulator ?? vac line to the regulator ?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM
67and71_Carl
Senior User
I've sent injectors away for cleaning. It was easy and the injectors worked fantastic when they were back. The place that did mine did a flow test and leak test before and after ultrasonic cleaning. IMHO, anything other than doing all that is a compromise. You never know if you've fixed the problem. Here's the link......

Cruzin Performance

Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
I think I'll change the fuel filter too - maybe the one I have has failed and allows the crud past it....
If you really want to know what was causing the problem, changing two things at the same time makes it hard to pinpoint the cause. (Just MHO.)

Old 03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
I was expecting it to be a coil issue, since I've heard lots about that,
Swapping the old injector to the other side would prove/disprove the ignition as the culprit.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 AM
rubydist
Elder User
Since I don't have a lot of time to screw w/ it, I picked up a couple of injectors ($27 each if you ask for their best price) and swapped them out. The Expy runs like a champ now, so maybe the old ones really were stuck. I didn't change the filter yet, because I didn't have that much time yesterday, but I got a new one and will change that this weekend.

Thanks for all your input.