Clutch trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
bhspet
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch trouble?

Hello,
I'm the proud owner of a rusted out 85 Ranger, 2.8 with a TK 5 speed. I bought the truck back in 03 and it's been a fine vehicle. A couple of weeks ago it started making a noise that was coming from the bellhousing area when in neutral, and me and my brother both figured release bearing. Trying to get it up on the ramps the clutch was slipping so still figured some type of clutch problems. The clutch hadn't been changed since I bought it so I bought a new set, installed it, put the tranny back in, bled the system,and now it won't go anywhere. No problem putting it into any gears, it's when I release the clutch pedal, as if it's just barely making contact. I can set the parking brake, put it in gear, give it just a little gas, let the clutch out and it will set there and run. I didn't have this problem before I installed the new clutch and it't got me buffaloed. Can anyone give me a clue?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Odd. Are you confident the transmission is OK? When you were fitting the clutch and were bolting the pressure plate on to the flywheel did you have to draw the pressure plate forward with the bolts and against the spring pressure? When you bolted the transmission back up to the engine did it mate up easily or did you have to draw the two together with the bolts? How much free play do you have in the clutch pedal? One final silly question, if 4x4 is the transfer case in neutral?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Cobra Highboy
Senior User
Maybe the clutch fork isn't seated all the way in and its holding the throwout bearing against the pressure plate thus holding the friction plate off the flywheel. Thats all i can think of. Does your clutch pedal move freely or is it stiff?

Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 PM
bhspet
Junior User
Ok, Cobra I'll answer you first..no fork to deal with, the slave cylinder fits over the input shaft of the tranny, and the pedal feels just like before I changed everything. Nice and smooth.
Lazy K, the pressureplate bolted on fine, now the tranny I did pull it up the last bit with the bolts but since I was doing this by myself I just couldn't get the right leverage to push it in all the way laying on my back. It liked about oh, a quarter inch or so when I put the bolts in. The PP and disc are the right one's I'm sure.
As far as the tranny I'm as sure as I can be it's ok...like I said it was running ok, just making a noise the we both were sure was the the release bearing, which after I took the tranny out was messed up, stiff, and part of the nylon bushing was gone. Even with the clutch slipping at the time it walked up the ramps, now it won't even try to. This is my first time dealing with a hydraulic system so it's all new to me. I've run enough brake fluid thru it thats it's all fresh in it now. The old fluid did look somewhat dirty.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
The reason I asked about fitting the pressure plate is that if the bolts ran up easily all the way then there would be no spring pressure to hold the friction disc to the flywheel. However you are confident that is OK.
I understand what you mean about pulling the transmission up the last little bit with the bolts-had to do it many times myself. However the point there is if the concentric slave cylinder and throw-out bearing is wrong it may be releasing the clutch as you tighten the bellhousing bolts up. It is a matter of being confident you have the correct part.
Next free play in the clutch pedal, what this would show is that there is not a residual pressure in the hydraulic system (possibly caused by wrong slave cylinder). There should be around 11/2in measured at the edge of the pedal next to the driver.
There are two more possibilities that I can think of, first the center has broken out of the new friction disc or second the input shaft of the transmission has broken inside the case.
Let us know what you find.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:42 AM
bhspet
Junior User
Thanks, I guess my next step is to tear it back apart. Least I know an easier way this time...heh. I drove it up the drive and back some hoping for the best, like it just wasn't seated right, but no improvement and didn't want to make it worse. It'll pull itself back up the ramps now but just barely.
Anyways, I'll let yuns know what I find, if I don't get rained out. Whats really bad is this is making me miss some good crappie fishin right now!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bhspet
Thanks, I guess my next step is to tear it back apart. Least I know an easier way this time...heh. I drove it up the drive and back some hoping for the best, like it just wasn't seated right, but no improvement and didn't want to make it worse. It'll pull itself back up the ramps now but just barely.
Anyways, I'll let yuns know what I find, if I don't get rained out. Whats really bad is this is making me miss some good crappie fishin right now!
If it will pull itself up the ramps at least you know it is not a transmission fault.
As a last ditch effort it may be worth opening the bleed screw to make absolutely sure there is no pressure in the line.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
bhspet
Junior User
Sorry I ain't been around, been trying to work on truck, and find some paying work.
Got the tranny out yesterday, right before it set in raining again. Just eyeballing everything looked fine. It's still raining and supposed to continue for two or three days with cold temps so it'll be awhile before I can crawl back under it. I'm gonna take the clutch back apart and recheck the flywheel. Got to thinking maybe it needs turning or something. Wouldn't hurt either way I guess.
I was actually hoping the release bearing was cockeyed or something but it was still setting in there straight. I'm gonna try to measure the input shaft and figure how far it actually sets in the flywheel to see if something may be spaced wrong. It'll take a little math but maybe I can figure it out.
Anyway all I can do now is wait on the weather, play with BH, and try not to go too crazy being stuck for now.
Check back sometime, have a good one!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Good man. I know from years ago how big a PITA it is to have to work outside.
Good luck.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
bhspet
Junior User
Hey Folks,
No progress yet, finally quit raining last nite, and the temps are near 70 today so hopefully tomorrow I can crawl back under my rustrocket and figure something out. I got ahold of a friend of mine who works as a mechanic but he wasn't much help. Way it goes.
least my boss called and said we have some work coming up next week I guess, but we have to go to Texas...somewhere below Dallas. Maybe I can make enough to get my truck right and get moved somewheres. Oh well thats what I get for leaving my wife!
Have a good day all!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 PM
bhspet
Junior User
Hey Guys...
I'm havin a "duh" moment here and wondering if I put the clutch disc in backwards...can someone tell me for sure wich side faces the back of the engine block? I think I had it right but the way my brain's been there is no tellin.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:32 PM
bhspet
Junior User
Well, may have had two duh moments...I was readin the directions that came with the new clutch...never understood why they give us them thangs, but it sais something way down in one corner of the page about cleaning off the anti-rust compund off the pressure plate before installing.....now when they start putting an oil based compound on a clutch?
I must be old....but I got the flywheel broke loose so I can replace the pilot bearing! This is too much like work...

Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Bern_F150_4x4
Elder User
I just saw this thread today and my first guess was clutch disk in backward. Check your paperwork for correct orentation. Acetone will take that oil off the pressure plate and flywheel; not too sure about the clutch disk... Good luck!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 PM
bhspet
Junior User
Yep...just been so long since I messed with a clutch, best excuse I got anyways! Oh well, least I been unemployed and didn't need a way to work...and to beat all, it just had to start raining again this evening. Enough to make a good ole suthern boy wanna kick his dog, no..scratch that...my dog is big, really big...I would smack BH, but she's meaner than tha dog..oh well, tomorrow is another day..maybe I won't be so dumb then!
Gotta make fun of it or I would break something...

Seriously tho, thanks to the ones that offered a helping word..plus I found a new place for BH to make friends! Maybe it'll be running by the first of the week.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
You can clean the flywheel and disc with lacquer thinners. Look at both sides of the friction plate it may have "flywheel side" printed on it. If not look at the splined hub, usually the boss extends out from the plate slightly further on one side than the other. The side with the boss almost flush with disc goes to the flywheel.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Clutch trouble?