Engine Ticking Noise on 2004 F150 5.4L 3 Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
jayton4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Misty Gypin
Iv never done this before.. But I need some help. I have a 97 F150 4.6. and every time I put it in gear I hear a ticking noice but only when its in gear. It goes away when in N or P... Any idea??
Welcome to the forum. You should probably start a new thread describing your issue, as this thread is mostly about 04 & later models with the 3 valve engines and cam phasers. Your engine doesn't have any of that. You would probably get a better response with starting a new topic.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
2 thoughts.

1. When my wife's F150 started ticking it turned out to be an exhaust leak at the head on the right bank. 2 new exhaust manifolds later and we were back in business.

2. If your tick started immediately after an oil change it might be the filter that was used. My brother had this happen when after an oil change when he used a Fram filter, he went to a different brand filter and that took care of it. He forgot about the incident and next time he changed oil, he again used a Fram filter with the same ticking sound, so he changed filters again and again that was the end of the problem. Apparently Fram retricts the oil to the point that the engine is starved of oil.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good thought Trail Rider, Back in '95 we had a Neon that did that when I put a Fram filter on it. I called the service dept and that was the first question he asked, did I put a Fram filter on it. Swapped it out for a Mopar and problem solved. Don't know the reason for it. Now I use Mopar on our Mopars and Motorcraft on our Fords. If they aren't available, Purolator.
Isn't there a TSB allowing for heavier oil for noisy modulars?

Old 08-19-2012, 02:23 PM
jayton4
Junior User
Originally Posted by SDTriton250
Good thought Trail Rider, Back in '95 we had a Neon that did that when I put a Fram filter on it. I called the service dept and that was the first question he asked, did I put a Fram filter on it.
Here is another funny story. My son and I visited the Fram booth at the NHRA Southern Nationals at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce a few months ago because they had a Top Fuel car on display where kids could have their picture made sitting in the car. Also on display at the other end of the booth was a Top Fuel engine that had been completely destroyed. One of the pistons went completely throught the aluminum block and they had ALL of the pieces on display. One piston had a valved embedded right in the top. The display seemed like a warning, as to say, "look, this is what may happen to you if you use our Fram filters."

If they aren't available, Purolator.
Purolator was the last filter that my 4.6L had when I spun a bearing. Now, if I don't have a Motorcraft available, then I don't change the oil until it is available. This goes for all of my 4.6L engines and anytime I change oil for my Dad's 5.4L. Wal-mart, Advance, Autozone, everywhere carries the Motorcraft filter, so availability is not really a concern for me.

Isn't there a TSB allowing for heavier oil for noisy modulars?
Absolutely NOT! I have never heard of such a thing, and I went back through AllData just to double check. The only thing I've ever heard from lifelong mechanics is the exact opposite. These Modulars are designed and built to such tight tolerances, that a thicker oil will dry out the bearings. 5W-20 ONLY.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:59 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a lot of people use Fram filters and have never even heard of a problem with them but I was driving a Cummins powered Ram in the mid 90s when several suffered catastrophic engine failures from pieces of filter sealer breaking away and clogging piston cooling nozzles. Fram paid up as did Wix for a similar problem with their filters. I'm just gun shy after that and my own experience with the Neon. Why not use better when it's sitting on the same shelf. I think I'll stick with Motorcraft on my Fords.
Here's a link to the service bulletin I spoke of. I don't know anything about it other than reading it on that site.
Oil to quiet engine down? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Scubaman154
New User
Never put anything other than 5/20 in triton engine

Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM
isurvive
New User
Originally Posted by thompsdw
After an oil change at my local ford dealer, I recently noticed that my F150 was making a much louder ticking noise than just the injector ticking. I called and scheduled a visit. They swear there is nothing that was done during the service visit that could cause the increased noise, but I swear that is when it began.

They called me today and told me there was a TSB on the issue that said to replace both cam phasers and all 24 lifters. I found TSB 06-4-7 here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/full...php?tsb=06-4-7

So, they said it would be $1,414 to repair . So I asked the question, what happens if I don't repair? They said it really wouldn't hurt the engine immediately, but may over time. I paid the $70 diagnosis fee and left. I believe all they do these days is run TSB searches.

So - now on to the real brains here. I am not the type to just ignore the noise. I also do not believe they have a clue what is going on. Here are my symptoms:

- Ticking noise that is similar to injector noise, but much louder (even they admit to that).
- Noise only evident at idle.
- No other performance issues - economy stable. Truck runs fine.
- Oil pressure within normal limits.
- Swear it began at the oil change ...............

What would you guys check next? I am very mechanically inclined around engines, just want to make the right moves here. Any advice would be appreciated.
This is EXACTLY the problem I'm having right now.. What was the final outcome of your repair? Was it just the Cam Phasers? Where are they located and are there any instructions available to change them?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 AM
Darold_Levi
New User
Did anybody ever come to the conclusion on what the ticking noise was from? I also have this and was told that it is caused by the ignition coils and spark plugs so I replaced those but it still makes the noise. Mine also only happens while in idle.