2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start problem....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Remote start problem....

so when it rains it pours.....

I have the 6 button ford remote start.....this weekend it started acting weird. Most of the time when attempting to start the truck it locks the doors...activates the fuel pump (can hear it) and then beeps once....the lights are on and all the power inside the truck activate....but it doesn't start. Also...the factory security light up on the dash blinks really fast....if you get in and hit the brake pedal...everything dies like normal and you can start it with the key...

Now the kicker is....once in a while it will start normal with the remote....

I checked the book and there is no troubleshooting solution for 1 beep...just 2-6......anyone have any ideas????

Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
motown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it attempt to crank, but stop? Or just not crank at all?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
doesn't crank at all.....

Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
motown
Senior User
I wonder if your chip key bypass is not allowing the the vehical to start. Check your owners manual for the fast blinking security light, and see if their is naything about it in it. Also. if your battery voltage is low the remote start may not function. You may have to take it to a place that installs remote starter to diagnoise. Code alarm made the systems for Ford.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 PM
rob188
Elder User
ford dealers install them when as an accessory, you might start by replacing the batts in the actual remote but other than that an eec tech at ford can fix it

Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Ok....owners manual says a rapid blinking light with the key in the on position is caused by a problem with the anti theft system.....so....since it only happens with the remote start.....its gotta be something with where the remote start tells the truck its ok to start.....does the ford system have a key hidden under the dash.....or hows it know thats a non-theft related start signal????

Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rob188
ford dealers install them when as an accessory, you might start by replacing the batts in the actual remote but other than that an eec tech at ford can fix it
Does it with both remotes...and one never gets used....so battery should be much better than the second one....

I'm really trying to avoid taking it to the dealer....theres gotta be some sort of test procedure on the remote starter unit to see if its failing or if its the truck.....I'm a firm believer that anything a dealer can fix....i probably can too....for half the price...

Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
maybe try reprogramming your PATS bypass module using your two master keys. The instructions are on page 27 of 37 of that 07-08 tech manual I emailed you.

(your Ford system should not have a key hidden under the dash but rather it has a PATS bypass module with an antenna ring that goes around the ignition column and the module simulates that a key is there in order to remote start it. Sometimes they go haywire and need reprogrammed. The programming instructions are in the tech manual I already sent you in the past.)

Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 PM
rob188
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
Does it with both remotes...and one never gets used....so battery should be much better than the second one....

I'm really trying to avoid taking it to the dealer....theres gotta be some sort of test procedure on the remote starter unit to see if its failing or if its the truck.....I'm a firm believer that anything a dealer can fix....i probably can too....for half the price...
maybe the factory immobilizers not getting switched thats what you'd need a key for

Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Put your spare key in the ignition and then use your remote start, if it starts trouble free every time then it’s the remote starts bypass system, how they’ve chosen to bypass is up to the company that made it. There are three common systems, one requires a key in the remote start module and a coil around the ignition cylinder, when it starts the module reads the key and transfers the reading to the coil, this is an older method. The second is just an adaptation to the first, rather then require a key to permanently take up residence in the remote start module, the module either stores the information from a key, or emulates it’s own. The last method is the newest and does away with wrapping a coil around the ignition cylinder all together and instead interfaces directly with the trucks CAN bus, where it essentially just emulates a fictitious key.

Also, as a side note, if you decide to reprogram your pats system, you must remember that the remote start counts as a key, if it’s not directly emulating a current key. So during the programming process when you’re inserting the various keys for programming, after removing the last physical key, you must quickly trigger your remote start which will then present its key code to the computer, which hopefully is still in programming mode, as it starts.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Sportruk
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The remote start does not bypass the PATS. The module sends a signal to the PATS receiver, exactly the same way the key does. Duing installation, there is an antenna that is wrapped aroung the ignition key tumbler. The remote start sends a signal through the antenna and the PATS picks it up the same way it does from the key.
I would visually check to see if the antenna is still properly wrapped around the tumbler. You would have to remove the shroud around the steering column to confirm this.
If it is still properly in place, I would then try reprogramming the the remote start with the PATS.
If you do not have an installation manual, you can get a copy here.
http://www.gemsen.com/Ford/Pdf/2007M...e_10-27-06.pdf
Ford Remote Start / Wiring

Securilock (PATS) Interface Programming and Remote Start Operation Test
(Two programmed PATS ignition keys are required for this step)
Required for vehicles that have factory equipped Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS).
A. Sitting in the driver seat, be prepared to press the brake pedal to shut down the remote
starter system.
B. Using the first key, turn the ignition on, wait for the THEFT light to turn off, then turn the
ignition off and remove key from the ignition switch.
C. Using the second key, turn the ignition on, wait for the THEFT light to turn off, then turn the
ignition off and remove key from the ignition switch.
D. Activate the remote start function using the PowerCode remote control transmitter.
The system should flash the parking lights and chirp the horn one time, pause for four

seconds then start then start the engine

E. After the engine is started. Press the brake pedal to shutdown the engine.
The Securilock interface is now programmed. If the theft light begins flashing rapidly and/or
the engine does not crank or cranks but will not start, refer to the troubleshooting
information below.
F. Open the hood.
G. Sitting in driver’s seat, be prepared to press the brake pedal, activate the start function.
The system should chirp the horn two (2) times and abort the start sequence.
H. Close the hood.
I. Place ignition key in the ignition cylinder.
J. Again, Sitting in driver’s seat, be prepared to press the brake pedal and activate a start sequence.
The system should chirp the horn one (1) time pause four seconds, then chirp the horn two (2) times and abort the start sequence.
In steps G and J above, the engine MUST NOT start! If the system starts the engine in either steps G or J, check your hood tilt switch
installation and key-in-sense connection.
Troubleshooting steps:
A. If the Securilock interface fails to program (theft light flashing), check the following:
When programming the Securilock Interface timing is important, make sure that you:
1. Turn the ignition on with the second key within 5 seconds of the theft light going out on the first key;
2. Engage the remote start within 5 seconds of the theft going out on the second key;
3. Remove the second ignition key before engaging the remote starter.
NOTE:

If a third (or more) PATS ignition key has been programmed to the vehicle using either the Ford NGS or IDS programmers, the “Add

Key” mode described in the installation manual may have been disabled. If this is the case, use the NGS or IDS programmer to either reenable
the “add key” mode or program the Securilock Interface kit following the NGS or IDS procedure in the vehicle service manual for
adding a new PATS key.
B. If the theft light is solid and engine cranks but will not start:
Check all Ignition (Hot through run and crank circuits) and Heater (Run circuits). Make sure that the correct outputs from the
PowerCode module are connected to the correct vehicle circuits. Reversing the heater and ignition circuits from the PowerCode
system will not permanently damage the vehicle but may cause the remote start function to not work and/or set a PCM error codes
(which will cause the check engine light to stay on). If the check engine light stays on, use the NGS or WDS testers to identify which fault code has been set. The fault code will help identify which circuit is not properly connected.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Thanks guys...i'll try these things out when i get done working today and let ya know how they work....

Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 AM
rob188
Elder User
good luck hope u fix it

Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
well i called the ford key number just to see if they had any other advice...and its a pats thing according to them....so i guess i'll be trying the reprograming and making sure that coils still in place correctly....

I just find it really really odd that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't......

Old 03-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Well thank you to all of you.......reprogrammed it....didn't fix it...pulled out the ignition pats coil....put it back in.....reprogrammed it again.......and seems to now be fixed....

so thanks guys.....i guess time will tell if its all fixed....

Quick Reply: Remote start problem....