1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Our economy and our trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Our economy and our trucks

OK, experts: let's hear your opinion on how the current economic problems will affect our trucks:
1. will the value of our trucks go down?
2. Will the price tag of trucks we are looking to buy go down?
3. Is it a buyers market or sellers market?

Bonus question: will the Obamanation outlaw our gas-burning vehicles or just tax us more to drive them?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:17 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,118 Likes on 2,648 Posts
I think it will be a buyers market if you're the one that might have money in your pockets, most likely leaves me out of the equation.I'm just pinching pennies to see if I may buy some parts.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
Here in Saskatchewan things are mostly the same, you can`t find many decent old trucks and no one wants to pay anything for them.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:35 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the cost of ownership will definitely go up. In the short term because of all the economic pain I think it will be a buyer's market, especially if you have cash. Some people can't afford to continue their projects and some will need the money from a finished ride and have to sell. Gas taxes, environmetal concerns, mileage taxes, all will hit us in the pocketbook and there could be additional fees levied that we don't currently have to pay that might arise as well. Not sure how the death tax might impact things or cutting back on deductions for charitable giving. These might have more of an indirect impact but those are the things congress doesn't seem to consider when some of these bills get passed. Overall I don't think change will benefit the hobby. just my 2 cents.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I was wondering when a thread like this would appear. It's certainly a buyer's market. And I have no money to buy, as some will want to sell just to make ends meet. Problem is those wanting to sell will likely not get what they want for it, and there won't be many to buy as most are in the same boat. I will ask the same amount I bought my vehicles for, but I can't really expect to get that amount, as I will need whatever money I can get and that means selling at a lower price. I don't think I'm alone on that one. But rest assured, the '48 f1 and '78 f150 are last on the list to go. With work cut back to 4 days a week, the wife layed off, and bills not getting any smaller, I figure I have about 3 months before everything has a price tag on it.

PS: the one's I have listed in my signature in red are in case I sell some of the others I have already.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
OK, experts: let's hear your opinion on how the current economic problems will affect our trucks:
1. will the value of our trucks go down?
Just from perusing eBay I don't see the asking prices going down but on the other hand I don't see trucks getting scarfed up like they did two years ago. At that time any truck, I watched only the '48-52s, would be bid on no matter the size, condition or location. Now I've seen quite a few not get a bid.

2. Will the price tag of trucks we are looking to buy go down?
I think eventually the prices have to fall. Who's going to have money to buy them?

3. Is it a buyers market or sellers market?
I don't think it's quite a buyer's market yet but wait until the economy falls further, then more trucks will probably come on the market. Supply and demand will take over.

Bonus question: will the Obamanation outlaw our gas-burning vehicles or just tax us more to drive them?
Oh, they won't outlaw our gas burning vehicles. They'll do like they do with cigarettes, they'll gripe about them but won't outlaw them, just tax the hell out of them.

I'm with Rush, I hope he fails with his policies but I think it might be too late to reverse the damages they've already set into motion.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd be more inclined in the long term to see stuff change to force people to buy newer cars to stimulate the economy. We all know that vehicles now last a lot longer in terms of not needing a major overhaul like 30 or more years ago. It will probably be harder to be able to keep driving an old vehicle on a regular basis as we get forced into higher economy standards and the cost of fuel goes up in the future and it will.

One way to get people to buy new vehicles is to make it difficult to even keep driving a vehicle that is 15 or 20 years old. One way would be to tax vehicles based on MPG or on emissions. I'm basically a "progressive" on many issues, and don't want to see this, but I think it will happen to help Detroit and have less to do with other political agendas, but will be couched in those terms.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
tiger_698
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it'll make some of the part prices go down!!! I doubt it though.

I'm sure some may disagree with me on this, but it goes right along with the economy. The FairTax would solve a lot of the problems with our economy. It would get ride of a lot of the taxes we currently pay. Plus....no more sales tax on the old trucks when we buy them!!! Instead of worrying about all these other things, Congress should pass the FairTax. Just my opinion though....as I'm sure there are some on here that disagree.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Something interesting (was to me anyway) that some of the parts suppliers don’t know that there is a recession going on or aren’t going to participate, maybe to their determent. Case in point UPS to Canada is a bummer, very high brokerage fee, even if duty exempt. I know the Canadian market is small but I have asked a couple of suppliers with specialized street rod products that ship UPS only if they would mail or ship with another carrier then UPS, nope no can do, UPS picks up every night and that’s the way it is. I’m paying the freight so it’s no extra cost to them, just the inconvenience. So I guess they don’t need my money or the sale ……..and there is no recession. (End of Rant).

Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Michigan Rick
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy buys 72-78 F150's and drives them year around. He lives in Canada but buys trucks from down south. Gets a semi restored one for 6 or 7 thousand and drives the wheels off them. He can fix it himself only takes one payment (for him) so in the long run he saves a big whack of money compared to a new vehicle.

The flip side if we get taxed or whatever for driving old vehicles and forced into helping Detroit out.....just as many old car companies and employees will lose their jobs as Detroit guys losing theirs in the big picture of things.

I liked Jay Leno's quote for Mrs. Pelosi I think it was.....If more people fixed up old vehicles made them safe and reused them we would be a much greener society than making new ones.

Michigan Rick

Old 03-09-2009, 09:54 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Lot of truth to that Rick. New vehicles have lots of "hidden" costs that don't actually get figured into the cost of the vehicle, but get paid for sooner or later by everyone.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 PM
1959_f100
Senior User
i definatly think the value on them is going down but just till we get out of this mess. i look on craigslist about every night and it seams like people are asking less and less for there trucks every weak. if i had some money i would definatly be buying as many as i could. and ya is obama gonna try to take our trucks cause hes already pretty low on my list and that would pretty much put him at the bottom.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 PM
locomotivebreath
Junior User
[quote=bobj49f2;7241775

I'm with Rush, I hope he fails with his policies but I think it might be too late to reverse the damages they've already set into motion.[/quote]

I think it's a buyers market right now. There are some pretty good deals out there compared to a few years ago.

Personally, I'm a Mark Levin fan and I'm really concerned about the direction the U.S. is heading in right now. Somebody's going to have to pay for all these so called bail-outs and they won't have any thing left of their 401K's to do it with.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Buyers market for sure. Parts vehicles and project vehicles are at a all time low around here. In the last month I bought a 55 panel and a 51 F1. I have 5 more local trucks to look at.

1954 F700 $1500

1954 F250 $1500 with a ton of new parts, he says he has "NEW" long bed running boards, I havent seen them yet (I think I can get this one for $1000)

1956 bigwindow project sitting outside in the weather no price yet and only 3 miles from my house.

1954 F350 cute truck to pricy for me @ $3500

1956 F600 in a barn $600 (this will be my next purchase)

all the above vehicles are less than 10 miles from my house. The $600 56 will get parted out as its REALLY rusty but it has 6 NEW 22.5 tires on the good tube less rims. thats $600 worth right there.

Kevin Bigwin

Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
joedellcarter
Senior User
Bob Drake's is having a sale on truck stuff. Not a huge selection, but a lot of the nickel and dime stuff.

It *was* a buyers market about 4 or 5 months ago when the economy first started falling apart, now there's not much out there. I just scooped up a '42 Ford Club Coupe. Kinda rough, but the price was absurdly low for a rare car. It's the only thing besides my F-1 that has potential to go up in value anytime soon.

I also bought a home a few months back. It was a foreclosure, i got a lot of house for little money and an extremely low interest rate.

To quote the late Jim Morrison "The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Quick Reply: Our economy and our trucks