1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Our economy and our trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 PM
wilsel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's definitely a buyers market right now. I've been looking for a 50's F1, F100 for about 3 yrs. All I ever saw were trucks that had been sitting in a field for $3-$5k (not running). Drivers for $11-16K, or show trucks for $20k+. I was only interested in a driver. Didn't have the time for a restoration, plus it usually costs more than you will ever get back out of it. Couldn't afford a show truck, and didn't want something I'd be afraid to drive (even if I had the money).

I just picked up my F1 last week for $7200. A couple years ago the same truck would of been over $10K. I even looked at it 5 weeks prior to buying (was looking for one more original instead of custom), and was kind of surprised he still had it when I called him back. Then of course not 2 days later I see an all original F1 for $8500 in between driver/show quality. Doh!

I blame Barret Jackson for inflating the prices of these trucks over the years. Everyone thinks their truck is worth more than it is (not realizing their truck isn't Barrett Jackson quality). I think prices are about where they should be now. With that said, I still think it's a better investment than the stock market. At least it's a lot more fun

Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
I'm still not sure if it's a buyer's market now, or not.
I think it is, but not as much as you'd think. Quality stuff is still going for good bucks, if it's put on the national market (like eBay). Prices at Barrett-Jackson sure seem to be holding up, but a lot of stuff doesn't meet reserve. There are a lot of people who are unloading restoration projects that have sat for a long time, too, but that looks to me more like an old age thing.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 466 Likes on 302 Posts
I see very few truck owners in this area who are hurting for cash...so much so as to part with their trucks for small money. That said, there aren't a lot of folks out there with wads of cash in their pockets looking to buy either. These are strange times for sure...I thought California was bad but now it seems that the whole country is off kilter. When the vice president states that it is his goal to close down every coal fired plant in the nation you have to wonder where their priorites are...carbon or people.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
... These are strange times for sure...I thought California was bad but now it seems that the whole country is off kilter. When the vice president states that it is his goal to close down every coal fired plant in the nation you have to wonder where their priorites are...carbon or people.
I don't wonder at all.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:03 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I don't wonder at all.
Me either.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I don't wonder at all.
Me either. These politicians will say anything to get elected or re-elected.

Im so sick of the ridiculous state this country is in. We need to go out into the woods somewhere and find a wise old man wearing overalls and ask him if he knows anything about poitics. If he says no, take him to Washington and let him run this country with some common sense. In the meantime, send all the fools in congress home and force those career politicians to go out and find a job (if they can find one).

Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to the Streets - Just like the protestors of the 60's
This "Problem" didn't start 2 years ago - It has been the making for the past 50 years or so - Not one party or person can be blamed - It's the whole bought and paid for political system that sank this ship.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never had any money to speak of, and doubt I ever will... that being said, I picked up my 56 F100 project for a great low price ($300) with a title and VIN plate...... I see the prices of parts are staying somewhat consistent, but "projects" do seem to have thier prices sliding (just not far enough for me to buy) as more and more buyers are sticking to a formula of only paying 50cents on the dollar for the parts that are on, or come with, the project vehicle.

Politically speaking (as well as socially):: I find that "common sense" is not so common. If a person wants my vote next fall, I suggest they not be in office currently.... I doubt an entirely new gov't staff (remember jackasses, WE PAY YOU, YOU {supposedly} WORK FOR US, THE TAX PAYERS!!!) could do much worse that the ones that have been in office over the last 50 years. There's a reason that the "GREATEST GENERATION" is called that... because us younger generations have yet to take the reigns and take back the control of our country. I have my own opinions on how and why the current administration got to be in power, and I am afraid the same circumstances will be a huge factor in keeping the same people there for the next 4 years... BUT WE HAVE GOT TO BE SURE THAT OUR LOCAL "REPRESENATIVES" KNOW WHAT WE WANT!! Call your Senator/Congressman/Representative and tell them to "get this mess cleaned up, or get your desk cleaned out!"

AND IF YOU DON'T VOTE, YOU DON'T GET TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT, BECAUSE MAYBE YOUR VOTE WOULD HAVE BEEN A PART OF A DIFFERENT OUTCOME ON ELECTION DAY!

ok, I am done.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
This "Problem" didn't start 2 years ago - It has been the making for the past 50 years or so - Not one party or person can be blamed - It's the whole bought and paid for political system that sank this ship.
If I may?

If it happened 50 years ago, and probably 50 years before that, you can change the players but you can’t change human nature and so it is bound to happen again in another 50 years. Since the beginning of time every great civilization (Greek, Roman, and Inca etc) has self-destructed to eventually be replaced by another. It’s just our turn now because of what we are, we have (once more) taken self-preservation to a whole new level of self-interest, (that’s the polite word) and our constant inability to learn from our mistakes. Sorry, but prove me wrong?

So, on that note, I’m going to the shop and try and finish my truck and drive it while I still can (see self-interest above).

Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 589 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally Posted by Old F1
If I may?

If it happened 50 years ago, and probably 50 years before that, you can change the players but you can’t change human nature and so it is bound to happen again in another 50 years. Since the beginning of time every great civilization (Greek, Roman, and Inca etc) has self-destructed to eventually be replaced by another. It’s just our turn now because of what we are, we have (once more) taken self-preservation to a whole new level of self-interest, (that’s the polite word) and our constant inability to learn from our mistakes. Sorry, but prove me wrong?

So, on that note, I’m going to the shop and try and finish my truck and drive it while I still can (see self-interest above).
In a nutshell, self interest = greed. It seems to make the world go round at higher levels. I agree we need to influence things correctly where we can and work on or drive our trucks while we can!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Most truthful post of the day!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
From the number of emails I get from people all over the country, I am hopeful there are enough people pissed off to actually get some changes made.

I really like the attached speech that was attached to one of those emails:

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TicTacToe - 4.pdf (66.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
We need to go out into the woods somewhere and find a wise old man wearing overalls and ask him if he knows anything about politics.
You'll never find me.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:58 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I see very few truck owners in this area who are hurting for cash...so much so as to part with their trucks for small money. That said, there aren't a lot of folks out there with wads of cash in their pockets looking to buy either. These are strange times for sure...I thought California was bad but now it seems that the whole country is off kilter. When the vice president states that it is his goal to close down every coal fired plant in the nation you have to wonder where their priorites are...carbon or people.
Agreed. I've been looking at getting a decent newer truck lately...something I can use for parts down the line, or resell once my first project is done. But holy cow, the prices are all over the map. It seems the only ones selling are the ones looking to trade up to a newer one, and so their price is high to offset their purchase cost. And, I think the ones hurting have been hurting long enough, they either already sold, or scrapped what they had. I surely was hoping that prices and the economy in general would have evened out by now, but I would say that isn't the case, as the last two weeks of the stock market have pointed out. It appears they are all clueless. I would have to guess, those with real big money, are pulling out and are only protecting themselves, leaving the rest of us high and dry.

This thread is a couple years old, and at that time, we were on a downslide, evening out. Today, we are on an evening out, headed on a downslide. Strange days, indeed.

EDIT: I've added one I was looking at... notice the bed: http://duluth.craigslist.org/cto/2516850612.html

Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
I totally agree. The political agendas are destroying this country and have done so for decades now. Everything is just so polarized nowadays.

Quick Reply: Our economy and our trucks