Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Senior User

DRM2004 is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Clunk" when accelerating from complete stop...

I've been living with a mild "clunk" or "bump" in the drive train when I would first begin to accelerate from a full complete stop. It would only happen after a complete stop. It almost felt like it could be normal, but it seemed to be getting worse over time.
At first I thought it was my transmission...but after some internet searching I found some threads talking about the slip yoke on the drive shaft being the cause. In that the slip yoke needs to be pulled apart and re-lubed.
Anyway, I thought I'd post and let eveyone know that after pulling the slip yoke and re-lubing with grease my issue is solved! The "clunk" is totally gone. 100% Smooth now.
If anyone else has this issue I'd highly recommend re-lubing the slip yoke.
Ford even has a TSB out for this.
TSB
05-26-10fficeffice" />>>

• CLUNK OR BUMP WHEN STARTING FROM A STOP >>

On my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew, all I needed to do was remove the drive shaft at the rear differential (4 bolts, use 12mm 12 point socket or wrench). Then remove the FRONT clamp on the slip yoke boot. Then slide out the rear 1/2 of the drive shaft. Be sure to mark the drive shaft orientation with the rear differential flange and the slip yoke before you remove the drive shaft to ensure you put it back together correctly.
Re-lube the slip yoke, then slide it back together and reinstall the four bolts at the rear differental. Torque spec is 76 ft-lbs. I used Valvoline FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY moly grease that I purchased at my local AutoZone for $3.99. You'll also need to install a new band clamp around the rubber slip yoke boot. I got mine from AutoZone.
Here are some links I found with pictures showing how to do this. Both procedures below are on SuperDuties but its basically the same procedure. Just follow my specific details above for the 2004-2008 F-150

Slip joint regreasing

2004 F250 Slip Yoke Service

Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.
hope it stays solved...but most people report the noise comes back

the only true fix is a driveshaft replacement. oh well, a can of grease is cheaper than a driveshaft...keep us updated
Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Senior User

lakeforkfisherman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had this problem and took it to the dealership. They said my torque converter was falling apart so they rebuilt my entire tranny. Thankfully, it was under and extended ESP warranty and only cost me $50. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Elder User

Oldguy4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman View Post
I had this problem and took it to the dealership. They said my torque converter was falling apart so they rebuilt my entire tranny. Thankfully, it was under and extended ESP warranty and only cost me $50. Good luck.
I'll just bet that the dealership just happened to lube the slip joint while they had the driveshaft out too.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Senior User

lakeforkfisherman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Probably. Hey- I got a great deal out of it.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
Why not install a grease fitting in the slip yoke so it can be lubed at regular oil change intervals? Dan.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Junior User

mbw919 is starting off with a positive reputation.
While my '07 F-150 hasn't developed this issue, my '98 Ranger did. It's quite common with them and adding grease occasionally seems to be the long term solution.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Post Fiend

Ryan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to behold
My 07 had this....but they did a computer flash update and it went away....

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...round-7-a.html
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Freshman User

HoutxF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
hmmm my truck only makes this noise while pulling my trailer!?!?!?! Daily driving is fine!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Senior User

DRM2004 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just an update on my drive line "bump"....it has NOT come back. Its almost been 3 months. I'll update if it comes back.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Senior User

Supercrewzin01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2008 does the same thing, will get Ford to check it at 25,000 miles.
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt #5124

Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Senior User

mattsautobody442 is starting off with a positive reputation.
mine does it intermittantly when slowing down then hitting the gas...
1993,1994 broncos EB,XLT 351w e4od 3.55's 4x4
2004 F-150 XLT FX4 5.4L 3V 3.73LS
"they say that i have ADD but i don't underst.. oh wow look at that girl!"
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Freshman User

jdunbar is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM2004 View Post
I've been living with a mild "clunk" or "bump" in the drive train when I would first begin to accelerate from a full complete stop. It would only happen after a complete stop. It almost felt like it could be normal, but it seemed to be getting worse over time.
At first I thought it was my transmission...but after some internet searching I found some threads talking about the slip yoke on the drive shaft being the cause. In that the slip yoke needs to be pulled apart and re-lubed.
Anyway, I thought I'd post and let eveyone know that after pulling the slip yoke and re-lubing with grease my issue is solved! The "clunk" is totally gone. 100% Smooth now.
If anyone else has this issue I'd highly recommend re-lubing the slip yoke.
Ford even has a TSB out for this.
TSB
05-26-10fficeffice" />>>

• CLUNK OR BUMP WHEN STARTING FROM A STOP >>

On my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew, all I needed to do was remove the drive shaft at the rear differential (4 bolts, use 12mm 12 point socket or wrench). Then remove the FRONT clamp on the slip yoke boot. Then slide out the rear 1/2 of the drive shaft. Be sure to mark the drive shaft orientation with the rear differential flange and the slip yoke before you remove the drive shaft to ensure you put it back together correctly.
Re-lube the slip yoke, then slide it back together and reinstall the four bolts at the rear differental. Torque spec is 76 ft-lbs. I used Valvoline FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY moly grease that I purchased at my local AutoZone for $3.99. You'll also need to install a new band clamp around the rubber slip yoke boot. I got mine from AutoZone.
Here are some links I found with pictures showing how to do this. Both procedures below are on SuperDuties but its basically the same procedure. Just follow my specific details above for the 2004-2008 F-150

Slip joint regreasing

2004 F250 Slip Yoke Service

Hope this helps someone.
Same here...had a clunk when i would stop and start. greased slip yoke and problem solved! mine was pretty sever and didnt think that would fix anything concidering there was already some grease on it, not much, but greased it anyways and put it back together. 100% gone! make sure you mark the driveline and slip yoke to make sure you get it back together so it stays aligned.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Senior User

Roller150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 05 ext 4x4 5.4 and it did it when it was newer but I didnt fix anything and now its got only 50,000+ and it doesnt do it any more. It would do it only from a dead stop when I gave it a good amount of gas on take off. I guess the torque caused the drive shaft to change angle some and there you got the clunk or what ever it was/is.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Junior User

Wildcat Fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi. I was wondering if anyone who has an 2008 or later has been successful in getting Ford to take care of this issue? Does the TSB cover the 08 models and later?

I seem to be experiencing this issue now (in my new to me 2008 F250). I only have 12K miles on it. I called the dealer today and I was underwhelmed with the response. I was told they need to "look into this." I even mentioned the TSB from the original poster. Hmmmm....

Thanks,
Jon
Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2004, accelerated, accelerating, bump, clunk, drive, drivetrain, f150, ford, pulls, stop, stopping, train, transmission, truck