Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Postmaster

KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.
Broken nipple!

So I was working on the truck this weekend and broke the degas nipple off the radiator. Anyone have ideas on repairing this??fficeffice" />>>
K40 2000 Radar & Laser 48 Gal fuel tank-Pioneer AVIC-D3,3 amps,12' sub, DVD, TV in headrests
JOIN NEW MEXICO CHAPTER HERE!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Postmaster

texans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to behold
I just did the same thing what was your solution.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
remove radiator and take it a radiator repair shop it should run 25-50 to get a brass nipple installed.
they remove the tank from the core to repair it.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Postmaster

texans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to beholdtexans is a splendid one to behold
Ok thanks chezit. I knew you would have an answer for me. I was just reading about tapping the hole for a 1/8 barbed fitting myself. What do you think of this. Or should I just take it to a radiator shop.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
they do the same thing but they should put a nut on the backside of it to hold it in place. well at least the shop that we have do ours when one of the guy gets in a hurry.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Senior User

DPorter is starting off with a positive reputation.
rad shop = guarantee no leak
Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPorter View Post
rad shop = guarantee no leak
no not really just a better chance
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Posting Guru

DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texans View Post
Ok thanks chezit. I knew you would have an answer for me. I was just reading about tapping the hole for a 1/8 barbed fitting myself. What do you think of this. Or should I just take it to a radiator shop.
Plastic threads are tricky. When using the tap besure to cut threads in 1/2 turns then back out and clean threads before starting again. Plastic cuts strips. Metal cuts chips. If you take your time with the threading process, you should be fine. The trick is to get long enough threads into the plastic to support physical pressure on the brass barb fitting.

I would suggest, if you do it yourself, that you do the threads, screw the brass fitting to get a good fit check and then take some JB weld made for plastic applications, coat the brass fitting threads and screw it in. The JB weld will give you a more secure fitting.

DSMMH
04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH Airbox, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA Cryos Front, Prodigy, Remote Start, Fuel X Over Line, AD 2, Banjo Bolt Mod, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 160 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, 2nd CCV Line, Russell SS Brake Hoses, Ed's FICM Update, RP Synthetic Lubricants, AR 9100 Friction Modifier.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Senior User

desertt5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was thinking palsti-weld. That stuff held a mirror on for years. Melsts the plastic together. maybe not though.
00 F150 5.4
Semper Fi
Old 03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Posting Guru

06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texans View Post

I have done this literally 50+ times on a nipple on the top of the radiator of Cadillac Cts' that was bad to break and new radiator was over $1300....But the tank had plenty of "meat" to tap it, and screw in a nipple with some sealer on it (RTV is what I used) Never had one come back.

I say if the tank had enough "meat" to get some good threads, go for it.

SOLD 2-28-11.....
'06 F250 CC/SB PSD. 2'' lift, Bilstein 5100's, Dual stabilizers, 20'' Harley wheels, 35-12.50 MT ATZ's, 08 Mirrors, ARP studs, EGR delete, 4'' MBRP, X3 with custom tunes, Full gauges, scangauge II, Coolant filter, Red top Optimas, DC 185a alt,
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Posting Guru

DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silvercrew View Post
I have done this literally 50+ times on a nipple on the top of the radiator of Cadillac Cts' that was bad to break and new radiator was over $1300....But the tank had plenty of "meat" to tap it, and screw in a nipple with some sealer on it (RTV is what I used) Never had one come back.

I say if the tank had enough "meat" to get some good threads, go for it.
I agree! The reason I suggested JB weld is that it is a hard epoxy where RTV is a soft sealer. FWIW

DSMMH
04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH Airbox, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA Cryos Front, Prodigy, Remote Start, Fuel X Over Line, AD 2, Banjo Bolt Mod, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 160 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, 2nd CCV Line, Russell SS Brake Hoses, Ed's FICM Update, RP Synthetic Lubricants, AR 9100 Friction Modifier.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Posting Guru

06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.06silvercrew has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMMH View Post
I agree! The reason I suggested JB weld is that it is a hard epoxy where RTV is a soft sealer. FWIW

DSMMH

Yeah IMO either would be fine.

SOLD 2-28-11.....
'06 F250 CC/SB PSD. 2'' lift, Bilstein 5100's, Dual stabilizers, 20'' Harley wheels, 35-12.50 MT ATZ's, 08 Mirrors, ARP studs, EGR delete, 4'' MBRP, X3 with custom tunes, Full gauges, scangauge II, Coolant filter, Red top Optimas, DC 185a alt,
Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Postmaster

KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.
Wow, old post. I used a brass nipple and black RTV. It has held for a year now.
K40 2000 Radar & Laser 48 Gal fuel tank-Pioneer AVIC-D3,3 amps,12' sub, DVD, TV in headrests
JOIN NEW MEXICO CHAPTER HERE!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Postmaster

Yeah that is what I ended up doing. I did like the idea of using the jb wield though, but I already had the rtv handy so that's what I went with.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM
New User

doityourself2009 is starting off with a positive reputation.
radiator removal

6.0L powerstroke

Broke nipple off radiator trying to remove the hose......Has anyone removed the radiator to take it in for repair? Are there any special tools? How hard is it to remove and reinstall? Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
barb, brass, broke, broken, cooler, delete, egr, fitting, kit, nipple, odessa, radiator, remove, screwed, tx