Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Gas siphon inhibited in Ford trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Bohemian
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gas siphon inhibited in Ford trucks?

I'm looking into buying a 2006 F-350 V10 FX4.

I want to be able to siphon gas out whenever I like, for use in a gas electric generator. I don't want to carry 10 gallons of gasoline in the truck bed with a cap on it.

My brother-in-law says they started putting bends and whatnot in the fill tube to prevent people from siphoning - not specifically this model but in general.

Is he right about that? Will this foil my plan?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 AM
dew the thunder
Elder User
I was told just about all vehicles since the late 90s have had some sort of anti siphoning measures. Maybe not stuff that completely stops siphoning from happening... just making it harder.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is actually a mechanism which blocks off the fuel filler neck when the vehicle rolls. The side benefit (in some cases) is that it also interferes with attempts to siphon gas.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:24 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I have had no problem siphoning (actually using a fuel pump) from my Fords. You just have to twist the hose to get past the ridges inside the neck and at the tank.

However, there is an easier way, easier for me, anyway.

Remove the schrader valve at the fuel rail, hose-clamp a piece of 5/16" fuel hose to the valve, and energize the fuel pump with +12V. It'll pump itself dry for you. And no gasoline-breath

Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Bohemian
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Remove the schrader valve at the fuel rail, hose-clamp a piece of 5/16" fuel hose to the valve, and energize the fuel pump with +12V. It'll pump itself dry for you. And no gasoline-breath
Do you mean to say reconfigure the fuel system every time? I'm not sure what a schrader valve is, or "fuel rail".

If I could have a permanent arrangement where I connect a hose for the purpose under the truck, maybe with a air-hose coupler, and turn a valve under there, and maybe configure one of the upfitter switches to energize the fuel pump...even then it sounds more invasive than a siphon, and more likely to have a nasty failure, and less safe.

Maybe I'm more McGyver than Scotty.

I don't figure to do it more than a dozen or two times a year.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
A dozen or two times is a lot - why not just carry a gas can?

The fuel-rail/schrader valve thing I mentioned is good for emptying the tank, especially with a separate electric fuel pump. Never mind.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Bohemian
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
A dozen or two times is a lot - why not just carry a gas can?
I would rather not carry 10 or more gallons of gas in cans 365 days a year (or empty cans most of the time) when I'll only be needing to siphon a couple of times a day on a few days of the year. Have gas in truck, need gas in generator, siphon.

Just seems like a nice solution to the problem for the occasional usage. But, if you can't siphon because the trucks were designed to prevent that, then it's not a solution at all. I'm not sure what the conclusion really is.

-CB-

Old 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Well, like I said above, I had no problem siphoning gas from my truck, or my other Fords.

I recently had the tank out of my '01 Superduty, and there was no anti-siphon gizmo in the filler neck, nor the tank.

The flapper on the neck was the only thing and the hose easily goes past that.

I used an electric Holley fuel pump to do it with, I can't stand getting gas in my mouth, nor the vapors associated with it. A thick-wall 3/8" fuel line went right through with a little twisting. Might want to bevel the edges of the hose first.

If I was going to be doing it often, I'd rig a setup to the fuel rail like I described above with a decent valve and tubing that was going to stand the test of time.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:12 PM
chris60
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bohemian
I would rather not carry 10 or more gallons of gas in cans 365 days a year (or empty cans most of the time) when I'll only be needing to siphon a couple of times a day on a few days of the year. Have gas in truck, need gas in generator, siphon.

Just seems like a nice solution to the problem for the occasional usage. But, if you can't siphon because the trucks were designed to prevent that, then it's not a solution at all. I'm not sure what the conclusion really is.

-CB-
I would convert your genset to propane, & strap a couple 20lb tanks into your bed with a RV mount.
These tanks are very safe, & very tough.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:40 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
I question the motives of anyone who wants to learn how to siphon gas from a superduty.

Carrying around gas cans is much easier to deal with than a mouth full of gas.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Bohemian
New User
Originally Posted by super 6.8
I question the motives of anyone who wants to learn how to siphon gas from a superduty.
Motive? I plan to RV 365 days a year, but will be at electric sites much of the time. But not always, which is why I'll have a genset. So toting gasoline (or propane) is either limited in capacity or somewhat problematic storage wise (doable, though). I just figured that to utilize the 30 gallons of gas in my truck solves the problem - if I can siphon.

I guess I assumed that there would be devices to solve the unpleasantness of it. Like this one here (so effective, or dangerous, it's banned in 10 states!) or this one here sold by Amazon. They don't get good reviews, but maybe they work for me.

I talked to a guy that says they put a screen in the path to protect you from pranksters putting stuff in there. I've never messed with stuff like that on a vehicle but he figured you could remove the screen.

I think I'm buying a 2006 F-350 V10 tomorrow, so I'll check it out and report back.

-CB-

Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
won't really know till you try I've always been able to get 3/8 clear tubing in tank of any rig I tried, maybe thats why the mileage is so poor....

Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 AM
shanksyamaha
Senior User
I know it cant be done on geo metros. Not that they are comparable to a super duty but I have had several of them and changed a few tanks. They have a white ball in a small trap in the middle of the filler tube that will allow liquid (such as gas) to flow by it but wont allow you to put a hose in. I see where your coming from wanting to utilize the fuel in your tank rather than try to get gas when its needed, hopefully it can be done on the fords.... let us know when you find out...

Old 04-29-2014, 06:41 PM
antibo12
New User
There is some kind of restriction in the fuel intake on my 1997 Ford van that we use for camping so I have not been able to get a siphon hose into the tank. I want to buy a small generator and be able to drain gas from the van into a gas can and use that to fuel the generator. Is there a way, preferably easy and safe, to tap the fuel line in the van?

Old 10-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Adam Heminger
New User
Slip Tank?

Originally Posted by super 6.8

Carrying around gas cans is much easier to deal with than a mouth full of gas.
How about a slip tank that will hold 40 gal and pumps on 12v? No excuses there. They even go flush for use with tanto's or canopy.

Quick Reply: Gas siphon inhibited in Ford trucks?