1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Shipping Co. Dropped the Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I hate to say it, but that would be a very top-heavy, narrow pallet. I don't know that I'd completely blame the shipper. It's just sickening to think of this kind of disappointment.
Ross they ship engines all over the country and never an issue just sloppy shipping practices by Estes.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 PM
JDMick
Senior User
I had something similar happen to a GM crate engine from Jegs. I could see right away that a valve cover was smashed in. My mistake was to unload it off the truck. My advise to anyone in a similar situation is to REFUSE the shipment and take it up with the vendor. Never sign off on anything if it's damaged during shipping. Jegs eventually made it right with a different engine but it's a PITA to arrange pickup etc. etc.

Wow. What a beautiful engine. I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 PM
HD74
Elder User
[quote=JDMick;7230197]I had something similar happen to a GM crate engine from Jegs. I could see right away that a valve cover was smashed in. My mistake was to unload it off the truck. My advise to anyone in a similar situation is to REFUSE the shipment and take it up with the vendor. Never sign off on anything if it's damaged during shipping. Jegs eventually made it right with a different engine but it's a PITA to arrange pickup etc. etc.

raerjim and JDMick good advice, thanks, but this thing is sitting in my garage. Maybe some good new is the shipper placed it there and I did make make a note on the shipping statement.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Jon T
Junior User
Man oh man, so sorry to hear about your motor, the video you posted is absolutely awesome!
I got to wondering why a french block & found a great link that has the story that the french were building army truck engines into the 90's that're flatheads. If anyone wants to check on it, the reference is on the second page of this article:
Ford Flathead V8 Performance Guide - Hot Rod Magazine
Nice engine, be looking forward to hearing that it's all squared away and it's installed and running.
Best Regards,
Jon

Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That's a shame, pretty motor, but the damage looks to be superficial, new alternator mount, waterneck and carb fitting should put you back in business.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 AM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer
That's a shame, pretty motor, but the damage looks to be superficial, new alternator mount, waterneck and carb fitting should put you back in business.
The front carb has more damage then the photo reveals, my biggest concern is the head. I think it should be pulled and magnaflexed and run tested again.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Can't magnaflux aluminum; dye penetrant or ultrasonic is used for crack checking. I can't really see what the damage is to the head; what exactly happened to it? the area at the outlet? I'd insist on replacement, you deserve replacement in kind.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:52 AM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL engine... Wow... what a bummer.

What type of carbs did you use?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
Don't get too bummed doesn't look like anything that can't be replaced. I know dealing with damage and the shipper can be a pain. Hopefully the shipper insured it.

Looks awesome! Focus on the positive you already have a Flathead more beautiful than 99.99999% of us have, damaged and all.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:49 AM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Flattie...

...man that is one sweet motor...sorry for bum-luck...hope it all works

out...gotta keep positive thoughts...but it still sucks...

...man...nothin' sounds better than a full-house flattie......

Old 03-07-2009, 01:08 PM
daves54
Elder User
Nice engine you have there. I really hope every thing works out for you!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
HD74
Elder User
Just kind of a quick up-date. I'm as in the dark about this as I was Friday after taking delivery. Took most of the day to hear back from the ESTES and only to find out that theirs a third party to all of this were the claim has to be filed. After two calls to the shipper today he says he is still waiting to hear back from the third party??? And that's since Friday??? I can see from this point that there is no way in hell I'm ever going to break even on this. Even if I hadn't taken delivery.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
blame the 3rd party, like I said, it's a blame game. We deal with this at work everyday due to shipping heavy products. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
grumpy46
Elder User
take them all to court and let the judge settle it

Old 03-20-2009, 05:11 PM
HD74
Elder User
In a nut shell this is what I received this morning:

This is to acknowledge receipt of your claim listed above and advise that it has been filed with the Carrier on your behalf. Please keep in mind that Carriers have up to 30 days to acknowledge this claim and once acknowledged they have up to 120 days to resolve the claim. Also you are required to hold onto the freight until the conclusion of the claim. If for any reason the freight is disposed of and or moved this could result in the declination of your claim by the carrier. Should the Carrier request any additional information we will contact you immediately.

The good news, I got a call from the Carriers Inspector this afternoon and was able to set-up an appointment for this Monday afternoon. Just a little over two weeks so far. I think things could be worse in this matter, but I don't see how!

Quick Reply: Shipping Co. Dropped the Motor