1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Just showing off - My 1981 F150 all nice & clean for spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just showing off - My 1981 F150 all nice & clean for spring

Tell me what ya think...

I know most of you hate the tan wheel cover. It will be replaced soon.

My attempt at white gauges. Ignore the black tape over the brake light, it was there when I bought the truck. Should have just removed the bulb when I had it apart.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
88-150
Senior User
I'm jealous, that's one clean pickup! Well.... cleaner then my 84 anyways lol. What didja do to get the white faced gauges? They blend well with the dash.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:18 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What grade of tint is that?

Old 03-05-2009, 06:20 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
freeeeze gopher! you got the dash I need for mine...

Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM
srercrcr
Postmaster
Looking good.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:41 PM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by 88-150
I'm jealous, that's one clean pickup! Well.... cleaner then my 84 anyways lol. What didja do to get the white faced gauges? They blend well with the dash.
I can't find the thread, but one of the guys here posted how he did his, and I followed him step by step. White Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy and small brush for the needles with Florescent Orange. Worked perfect.

Let me say this.... DO NOT! And I mean DO NOT try using something else. I made that mistake and used paint made for plastic and ruined my original cluster. Luckily MSD found me a set to re try.

Originally Posted by displacement4me
What grade of tint is that?
I think it was 12 or 13 % - Whatever is the lowest legal %.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM
bfbiker
Senior User

Originally Posted by must-be-a-stang
Tell me what ya think...

I know most of you hate the tan wheel cover. It will be replaced soon.

My attempt at white gauges. Ignore the black tape over the brake light, it was there when I bought the truck. Should have just removed the bulb when I had it apart.

STOP what your doing and remove those gauges before your rig melts down
ya need to send them to me A.S.A.P so I can ck them out as safe and sane to us (I all ready know there not so I will get rid of them for ya) I know I m taking a chance on you sending them to me but I will take the chance of not melding mind down during the testing(hey somebody has to help him out ya know)Just email me for the addy

Old 03-05-2009, 07:03 PM
88-150
Senior User
lol, I still can't get over the fact that the paint is glossy and free of rust. gj there.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:04 PM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
Originally Posted by bfbiker
STOP what your doing and remove those gauges before your rig melts down
ya need to send them to me A.S.A.P so I can ck them out as safe and sane to us (I all ready know there not so I will get rid of them for ya) I know I m taking a chance on you sending them to me but I will take the chance of not melding mind down during the testing(hey somebody has to help him out ya know)Just email me for the addy
LOL! Took me a second to get my heart out of my throat thinking I screwed up something....

I wonder if there is any money in finding gauges, painting them and then selling them, or having people send there’s to me to be painted.....hmm something to think about.

lol, I still can't get over the fact that the paint is glossy and free of rust. gj there.
Pictures make it look a lot better than in person. The truck does have some nicks and some spots of faded paint, like on the corner above the front bumper. If you look too, the driver side and rear is more faded then the passenger side. This I'm assuming is because the original owner had it in a car port or something. However it does clean up nice. This wasn't even a wax, just a rub on detailer. I wax the truck every 6 months and it really shows.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM
88-150
Senior User
that's awsome. when i bought my truck the first thing i did was clean it with fantastic(lol and the result was fantastic). It's not something everyone sees everyday(the white faced gauges) and if I had some gauge faces id send em to yas to be done up like that. Makes it look like a factory option or somethin.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:17 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Originally Posted by must-be-a-stang
Let me say this.... DO NOT! And I mean DO NOT try using something else. I made that mistake and used paint made for plastic and ruined my original cluster. Luckily MSD found me a set to re try.
What kind of paint was it you first tried with? Not even Testers plastic model paint?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
What kind of paint was it you first tried with? Not even Testers plastic model paint?

I tried Krylon and it was supposed to bond to plastic and not run.....(even on the can it read BOND TO PLASTIC) nope, didn't matter how light of a coat, it would just run off like I was spraying water. I tried even heating up the gauges, still the same. After I ruined my orignal set, I wasn't about to try something I didn't know worked again... lol

I got my new set of gauges and used that Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy and it worked perfect.

I couldn't believe the paint is original. Soon as I saw her, I told myself I'd pay just about anything to have the truck. I paid $3,000 - I've been offered $4,500.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Is that Rustoleum product an aerosol or painted with a brush?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 PM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
Is that Rustoleum product an aerosol or painted with a brush?

Edit: AH HA! Found the thread I used. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...te-gauges.html

Sycostang67 - My inspiration. lol.

Rattle can.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

You sprayed the whole piece, and brushed black on the ticks and numbers?

Would Rustoleum in silver for the background, black for the numbers, with fluorescent red for the needles work for suitable visibility in night time driving. I think this is the combination for several aftermarket clusters.

Quick Reply: Just showing off - My 1981 F150 all nice & clean for spring