1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

jag irs rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
jag irs rear

Looking forward to starting the next truck (56), I have been contemplating what rear suspension to use.. 9in, another 8.8 or maybe a jag IRS..

I see a lot of discussion on the jag front end pre-53.., not much on the rear.

one is available near me, what should I be looking for? (seemingly from an 85).

Sam

Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Looking forward to starting the next truck (56), I have been contemplating what rear suspension to use.. 9in, another 8.8 or maybe a jag IRS..

I see a lot of discussion on the jag front end pre-53.., not much on the rear.

one is available near me, what should I be looking for? (seemingly from an 85).

Sam
Sam, I am not knowledgable on the Jag IRS. I do know that the later Jag gear ratios were dropping (lower ratios) in the later cars. That would most likely be what you would want if you are not running an overdrive. I would make that decision first and then chose my rear for the ratio. There are several that have been on the forum that went the Jag rear route. What about Rusty?

Below is info from a post a long time ago by "halfdone"

"Jag centres are basically a Dana 44, so power handling is similar.

What kills most Jag centres is inadequate mountings or control arms. If it moves around under hard acceleration it won't last long. Another good reason to retain the cage if you can.

Like any diff, it will last longer behind an Auto than a Manual, and will last longer with less shock loading. Backing off after a burnout is the big killer of diffs at the drags, not hard launches.

Texan: Ask him to pay for the trailer hire . I did that to a guy once...he had a 48 Ute that my ex wanted. He was asking $500, so I offered $100. He said NO. About 6 months later he rang and said "I'm moving this weekend, you can have it for $100" I replied "I'm broke this fortnight, but I'll take it for nothing" He said YES.....so I said "and you'll have to pay for the trailer hire".........he thought for a minute and said "......you OWN the trailer Mark" "......OH YEAH, I FORGOT" ....only thing better than free parts is being paid to take them....

I would use the Jag rear in preference to an original, but as Mike Bishop said you need a strong chassis for all independent. Boxing probably isn't enough. An X member or double K member is needed. Both are easy to do in 2 x 1 tube. My rule would be "If you don't have the skills to box a chassis and do an X member....you shouldn't try doing a Jag rear"

Old 03-05-2009, 05:31 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
exactly the info I was looking for.. I'll pass.. and go find a 9

sam

Old 03-05-2009, 06:02 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
exactly the info I was looking for.. I'll pass.. and go find a 9

sam
Sam, The jag IRS is definitely sexy but certainly not simple and to my way of thinking not that significant a handling advantage. That is why I went Jag IFS and 9 inch rear on Willard, my 49. Just my $.02, the real advantage is in the IFS.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a pretty good write-up I've seen part of their kit when it first came out ans was providing free assistance on the installation I think that was a few years ago; but not the installation for the F-100.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Huh? I don't understand the response. Joe

Old 03-06-2009, 05:09 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK Joe, I'll translate. I think Jaye read the write up on the IRS link you provided and it mentioned that Dave was helping install these kits if you lived close by him in Florida. But, this was when he first began to sell them in 2007 and I doubt he is still doing that for customers.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Leckart that's exactly what I said thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Got it. Sorry I am so dense jaye. Joe

Old 03-07-2009, 08:14 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't someone in here recently post some very good pictures of their recent install of a Jag IFS?

I can't think who but it was within the past two months.........

Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Yes it was a 48-52 though he also put the T-bird IRS in his truck I saved the pictures however, they are at home on my lap top. He did a really good job can't think of the name though.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
I have posted a few times on the Jag Rear, as i am using one in my 56. The following is what I posted regarding which years etc are the best to use:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...irs-specs.html

I would agree that it works best with the chassis stiffened at least in the immediate area, but prefferably front to back if going independent at the front too (as I have done).

It is not as hard an install as you may think, and you can make it look nice too with a little effort.

Here is what my rear end looks like so far (Still yet to complete piping the brakes up etc.)

Cheers
Lee

Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Happyrancher
New User
We are installing the Jag IRS like this...

Here are a couple of photos of the install I'm doing on my dad's '56. I have boxed the frame rails and we added pinion supports for torsional stability. The goal is for improving the ride through the canyons and backroads.

Crossmember is tacked in place.

Front view with upper pinion supports disconnected. Notice the upper mounting tabs welded to the frame boxing plates.

The shocks and springs temporarily installed. Because of the increased angle of the shocks mounting position we are able to use much lighter springs than normally necessary which improves the ride.

Next we will be building wheel tubs for the 275-18 wheels/tire combo and adding a fuel tank.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:07 AM
willthesaint
Junior User
Hi mate
Great job have you git the dimensions of the sterl plate between the 2 cross bars and the thickness of both the plate and square tubing please.

Cheers

Will

Quick Reply: jag irs rear